Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Regions and Imports on Xbox One.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dixavd

Remember that this is all obviously speculation based off of recent information. Clearly more information will be classified at E3 (and further from that) but this is the side of it that I see limited discussion over.

With the recent pre-E3 spew of ambiguous information, and the fact that there is 'no self publishing', on the Xbox One...

• What does this mean for regional releases and imports? Will games have to be released on the same day in every place in the world?
    • If not, does this mean hypothetically that my 'family member' that I want in my 'shared library' who happens to live in a different continent, can play my games that I buy even if they aren't released there?
    • Does this mean that 'family members' must be in the same region as you?
    • What does this mean for countries who don't have a big enough gaming scene for publishers to send copies there (or Microsoft to send Xbox One's to) but still have a small community of players who currently import (like Iceland)? What does this mean for subtitles and other languages?
    • Can a game come out with some languages complete and then add in new languages as they translate them?
    • Does this mean every language version must be ready on release (and no future releases of new languages can ever happen)?
    • What does this mean for importing?
    • Does this mean that if they release one physical version exclusively in one region: even if I import that version, I can only play that game for 24 hours once I put the disk in (even if I get a console from that region)?
    • If they have to be released everywhere at once (to not break the 'family library system') then does this mean pricing will be controlled more to make more sense for the whole world?
    • If not, what stops me having my 'family member' buy it in there cheaper region and then letting me play it?
    • Does this mean that Army officers will be unable to play Xbox One titles due to the internet restriction (or do you think they will work with the armed services who currently allow Xbox 360's to give officers a form of escapism, to move into the next generation).

These are the questions that I don't see talked about much but I think is incredibly important to be explained at E3. So many questions; at least E3 will be exciting this year.

P.S. Side-thought: Do you think that pirates could break there system by taking these steps? (Even without hacking Microsoft's Servers):

1. Buy the Disk on release day from a store.
    2. Unplug their Xbox One.
    3. Put their Disk in.
    4. Install the Disk not linked to the internet (The reason I think this is possible is because they said "While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games..." Implying that they would find out in the automatic link that you bought a game - so it must be tangential to the install).
    5. If there is multiplayer, then connect the Xbox One to your personal server with other xbox's (and clone the disk to prior to install so that it can be installed to as many Xbox One's as people you want to play with).
    6. Play the game within 24 hours.
    7. Uninstall it from all Xbox's (may require bypassing system messages by hacking)
    8. Bring it to a 'Participating store' that can buy it off of you (assuming publishers allow it/and it is after the limited time period of only new sales).
    9. Take the money and put it towards another game...
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@dixavd said:

Remember that this is all obviously speculation based off of recent information. Clearly more information will be classified at E3 (and further from that) but this is the side of it that I see limited discussion over.

With the recent pre-E3 spew of ambiguous information, and the fact that there is 'no self publishing', on the Xbox One...

• What does this mean for regional releases and imports? Will games have to be released on the same day in every place in the world?
    • If not, does this mean hypothetically that my 'family member' that I want in my 'shared library' who happens to live in a different continent, can play my games that I buy even if they aren't released there?
    • Does this mean that 'family members' must be in the same region as you?
    • What does this mean for countries who don't have a big enough gaming scene for publishers to send copies there (or Microsoft to send Xbox One's to) but still have a small community of players who currently import (like Iceland)? What does this mean for subtitles and other languages?
    • Can a game come out with some languages complete and then add in new languages as they translate them?
    • Does this mean every language version must be ready on release (and no future releases of new languages can ever happen)?
    • What does this mean for importing?
    • Does this mean that if they release one physical version exclusively in one region: even if I import that version, I can only play that game for 24 hours once I put the disk in (even if I get a console from that region)?
    • If they have to be released everywhere at once (to not break the 'family library system') then does this mean pricing will be controlled more to make more sense for the whole world?
    • If not, what stops me having my 'family member' buy it in there cheaper region and then letting me play it?
    • Does this mean that Army officers will be unable to play Xbox One titles due to the internet restriction (or do you think they will work with the armed services who currently allow Xbox 360's to give officers a form of escapism, to move into the next generation).

These are the questions that I don't see talked about much but I think is incredibly important to be explained at E3. So many questions; at least E3 will be exciting this year.

P.S. Side-thought: Do you think that pirates could break there system by taking these steps? (Even without hacking Microsoft's Servers):

1. Buy the Disk on release day from a store.
    2. Unplug their Xbox One.
    3. Put their Disk in.
    4. Install the Disk not linked to the internet (The reason I think this is possible is because they said "While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games..." Implying that they would find out in the automatic link that you bought a game - so it must be tangential to the install).
    5. If there is multiplayer, then connect the Xbox One to your personal server with other xbox's (and clone the disk to prior to install so that it can be installed to as many Xbox One's as people you want to play with).
    6. Play the game within 24 hours.
    7. Uninstall it from all Xbox's (may require bypassing system messages by hacking)
    8. Bring it to a 'Participating store' that can buy it off of you (assuming publishers allow it/and it is after the limited time period of only new sales).
    9. Take the money and put it towards another game...

I think Nelson made a comment about the military thing. As for the "Side thought" Thats the kinda thing that caused them to do this DRM shit because of the hacking that happened with Sony.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@dixavd: you assume you can install games without the internet. I bet you have to be connected to install it.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

@dixavd: you assume you can install games without the internet. I bet you have to be connected to install it.

That or like the guys said when a game is bought its scanned and activated.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By mosdl

@the_laughing_man said:

@mosdl said:

That or like the guys said when a game is bought its scanned and activated.

Scan and activation is tricky and unreliable. Much easier is online activation that downloads something that actually makes the game run. Similar to steam preloads where you preload most of the game and then when the game activates it downloads a small thing that actually makes the game run.

btw, this would also mean that if stores break sell dates, the games won't be playable until activation day.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: @mosdl: @the_laughing_man: I totally know that (because I did - hence I pointed it out). I put that afterwards because it is a side-thought and I was asking if people thought that would end up being possible (especially since there entire press release was very carefully worded and that one part stuck out to me as it is strongly implying the assumption that I then made from it - basically it comes from my sister who doesn't think the system could be broken so quickly and I said this could a way of doing it Day One if that assumption is correct).

Don't get me wrong though - I am totally against piracy and wouldn't do it (I don't even buy used games) but I thought it was funny that if that one assumption is correct then all of this DRM could be overcome without any hacking whatsoever.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

@the_laughing_man: @mosdl: @the_laughing_man: I totally know that (because I did - hence I pointed it out). I put that afterwards because it is a side-thought and I was asking if people thought that would end up being possible (especially since there entire press release was very carefully worded and that one part stuck out to me as it is strongly implying the assumption that I then made from it - basically it comes from my sister who doesn't think the system could be broken so quickly and I said this could a way of doing it Day One if that assumption is correct).

Don't get me wrong though - I am totally against piracy and wouldn't do it (I don't even buy used games) but I thought it was funny that if that one assumption is correct then all of this DRM could be overcome without any hacking whatsoever.

I find it funny that people where all guns for shutting down game stop barely a month ago because of used game sales.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

btw, this would also mean that if stores break sell dates, the games won't be playable until activation day.

That's interesting after earlier this year the UK online retailer Shop-To said they wouldn't be selling Activision titles due to them refusing to let them ship it early (as Shop-To had a policy of shipping early so they could stand by their "day one" guarantee. Nice thought (I hadn't thought of that).

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: I don't like Gamestop either (hence I have never bought anything from any of their sub-owned stores they have in the UK since main Gamestop isn't here). This post isn't about Gamestop (it is primarily about these online things on the world stage - not just places with Gamestop).

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@dixavd said:

@the_laughing_man: I don't like Gamestop either (hence I have never bought anything from any of their sub-owned stores they have in the UK since main Gamestop isn't here). This post isn't about Gamestop (it is primarily about these online things on the world stage - not just places with Gamestop).

I meant about used game stuff.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: I just don't know much about Gamestop other than when US sites I visit mention them. So as far as I can tell most people still hate them and their used game business (and this is more about peer-to-peer sales of consumers). Has that changed?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@dixavd said:

@the_laughing_man: I just don't know much about Gamestop other than when US sites I visit mention them. So as far as I can tell most people still hate them and their used game business (and this is more about peer-to-peer sales of consumers). Has that changed?

I am talking about people sunndly upset about MS and their used game stuff *Or the publisher used game stuff* When barely a month ago they where hateing there was used games at all.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dixavd

@the_laughing_man: Oh right. Yeah definitely. It's going to be interesting to see what Sony says and what response they get (and if Nintendo's advertising angle turns to what Ebay Germany have currently - The WiiU Requires No Internet Connection - it will be interesting if they actually gain sales due to the anti-"always on DRM" movement right now).

-Edit- Link to that thing on Ebay Germany advertising the WiiU as not requiring internet access.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.