Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Super excited about backwards compatibility.

• 68 results
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are a ton of 360 games I either have not gotten around to or still like to play sometimes. While I still have my 360, being able to play them on the XBONE will be super convenient and hopefully my friends who have an XBONE but no 360 can experience titles like Super Meat Boy, Super Puzzle Fighter HD, Bomber man Live and other perennial favorites that don't need remakes but are still fun. I realize it will depend on publisher support and emulation quality but I am jazzed. More long nights of puzzle fighter ahead.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

I do love that I'll be able to record clips of my older games, but MS really need to do something about sorting that ridiculous Game DVR system out. There's about seven steps too many in that process.

This was super cool. Really, really cool.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By AlKusanagi

Except for the part where it's just a rehash of the original Xbox compatibility for the 360. We'll be lucky if even 10% of the library is compatible.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I wonder if the Gears games will carry over... Be a bit odd what with the remastering of the first Gears, with the later two to follow I'm sure.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By hinderk

I don't have a XBONE but this was a cool added feature. Really hoping that this causes Sony to let you play games on PS NOW for free if you have the ps3 disc.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Remember XBox 360's backwards compatibility?

I mean, I'm as jazzed as anyone else that I'll get to play Perfect Dark Zero again, but outside of indie titles that'll work on a phone and MS first party titles, I don't think we'll see a lot of titles that'll get the backwards compatibility treatment.

But if we see some backwards compatible Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Battlefield, or Call of Duty, I'll eat a nacho hat.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Well, Mass Effect 1 is on the list...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: They straight up showed the original Mass Effect running on a Xbox One during the conference, so I guess you should get that nacho hat ready.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm betting it goes about the same way the backwards compatibility went on Xbox 360. Still, it's a really nice thing to have!

Prepare to see big holes in the backwards compatibility library where companies are pushing remastered editions. I mean, it's inevitable.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think XBLA games will be easyish to emulate because they don't push the system that hard, so lots of then will be compatible. I agree there won't be every game but I mostly just want to play fun XBLA multiplayer stuff with my friends.

Though Fallout 3 is also being emulated, so it's not like it will just be small stuff. I do not think it will be like last time because Microsoft has more pressure now and the tech has changed. Tools and libraries are much more advanced than they were 10 years ago. We'll see I guess.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope for GTAV (friends still haven't upgraded), Halo: Reach ( I have it, but never got too far into it), and Vanquish (Never played it, but heard good things about it).

My 360 (from 2007) died Feb 2014 and after I had it repaired in Feb 2013 and at that point refused to get it repaired again or buy another one.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi:

@zelyre: They straight up showed the original Mass Effect running on a Xbox One during the conference, so I guess you should get that nacho hat ready.

Ooh, yum! I did have little tostada boats for lunch, and they're head wearable.

I should have checked that list. Though, the first Mass Effect -was- a Microsoft published title.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CABBAGES

Im in the preview program and still dont see any 360 games on my games and apps.

Anyone else managed to get a 360 game to work yet ? digital or disc ?

EDIT: Just looked at the tv as i posted this and i now have 14 games ready to install :D will have to give it a go and try the disc ones too.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just want Halo: Reach to work and for my Xbox Live games to come over.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

@cabbages: can you invite me to the preview program? GT: Old Man Light

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except for the part where it's just a rehash of the original Xbox compatibility for the 360. We'll be lucky if even 10% of the library is compatible.

During the conference they stated that games will run natively and all publishers have to do to get their old games running is basically checking a box.

I'm pretty sure the reason original Xbox bc was so lousy was because MS had to specifically optimize each game to work.

marth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm sorry to add to what will inevitably become a large pool of people asking for dashboard preview updates, but would anyone be able to send me an invite? I'd be very grateful and help pay it forward with others in the community. @cabbages would I be able to trouble you for an invite from your preview app? If not no worries and take care.

GT: FuriousLinus

To add to the conversation though, marketing-wise we'll probably have most anniversary/remastered titles not be supported by the publishers for this as it potentially takes away from their sales. Kind of unfortunate for titles already remastered, but I wonder if it'll carry over to decisions in the future. I feel like the main reason why we got so many remasters was because there were enough titles that people wanted to go back to, but didn't want to bring out their old consoles to play. If this option works well I'd be interested to see if the number of remasters that come out starts to decline.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My guess is that it'll be the Microsoft published and top selling games, and they'll do it for one to two years. I'll probably be able to play my copy of Alan Wake but probably not my copy of Catherine.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi said:

During the conference they stated that games will run natively and all publishers have to do to get their old games running is basically checking a box.

I'm pretty sure the reason original Xbox bc was so lousy was because MS had to specifically optimize each game to work.

It's the same end result if not the same exact problem. The publishers/developers themselves won't be doing any extra development, which might incentivize them to give permission - which is the check box talked about. If it is running natively, there would still essentially need to be new build of the game to run on the new architecture, which I'm guessing Microsoft is offering to handle. The bigger hurdle will be publishers not opting in to this when they might be able to devote minimal development on some games and rerelease. The whole, "we won't charge you to replay your old games," completely ignores publishers saying, "nope."

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kedi2

Does anyone know if there will be a way for DLC to get carried over as well?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EXTomar

The issue isn't whether or not Microsoft can build a VM to run 360 games in the xbone (answer: unsurprisingly they can!) but how does do the online components work? XBox Live today isn't quite the same thing even for something like Gears of War (sans remake).

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bigsocrates

@extomar: The Xbox 360 servers are still live... A lot of those games are still playable online. What's the issue?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EXTomar

@bigsocrates

Just keep the hands waving. :) There are plenty of games that don't have "XBox 360 servers" live any more. It is awesome that you can dig up Oblivion and play it but others especially third party games are going to be a crap shot.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: What games are you thinking of? There are definitely some (especially old sports games) but the majority of Xbox 360 multiplayer games are still playable online. It's really the lack of player base that's the issue for many of them. I'm sure there are a couple dozen games that have had their servers shut down but it's a relatively small proportion.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Backwards compatibility usually seems like a feature many people clamour for but very few people actually use.

I still have a 360 hooked up so it's not really for me but it's very nice (and an impressive technical feat) that it exists.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By richyhahn4

Did KOTAR work on the 360? always meant to try that

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is a real case of the vocal minority. A lot of people seem to talk a big game about wanting backwards compatibility but how many people really use it? The people who really care about going back to older games are the types of people who don't sell their old consoles anyway.

It's a nice sign of good faith from Xbox but I'm not convinced that many people are going to use it and I can't see it being a selling point to people who haven't yet upgraded.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any idea if you can move 360 saves to the new console? Even though I wouldn't mind playing Mass Effect on the Xbox One from start to finish, I would like to know that I can go back to an unfinished save and finish that as well.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this should be standard in every system. props to microsoft for leading this gen and shame on nintendo for not doing this. Sony might use the cell as an excuse but nintendo have no excuse not to do this.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innacces14: I would imagine that cloud saves will transfer. Not sure about using a USB stick or whatever.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BradBrains

@hassun said:

Backwards compatibility usually seems like a feature many people clamour for but very few people actually use.

I still have a 360 hooked up so it's not really for me but it's very nice (and an impressive technical feat) that it exists.

totally agree with this.

its a good bulletpoint but I dont think it really means much. also its not like you cant play those old games anyway.

a new systems priority should be new games.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people are underestimating the 360 library. So many classics that don't get old and I am not really talking about 360 games. I am talking about Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, Guardian Heroes, King of Fighters games, Bomberman, etc... Great to have those available on as many systems as possible and I do still have my 360.

Of course we have not addressed the most important question. The question that I know must be on Jeff' mind right now, tearing him up.

Can the XBONE do Gameroom?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I was pretty in love with the 360 but I'm not sure there's really more than 10% that you'd really want to play? 10% is a lot considering the amount of games.

Avatar image for davegoestomayor
    davegoestomayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977: ??!??!?!? Ummm Wii U plays Wii games brother, has since launch. Unless you're mad about digital games not transferring.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davegoestomayor: should have been clear, sorry. Yes they should let digital game transfer over. What with unify account and everything. I do not see why not.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh? This might actually convince me to get an XBONE at some point. I went to pick up my 360 from my parents house about 6 months ago and realised it was fried (Who knows how long it had been sitting on that shelf under the open window for...) I was considering eventually buying a second-hand 360 E just so I can play some of my old games. My launch 360 didn't have any digital outputs anyway (Back in the wild-west of 2006).

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sergio

@hassun said:

totally agree with this.

its a good bulletpoint but I dont think it really means much. also its not like you cant play those old games anyway.

a new systems priority should be new games.

I agree, but then I look at the amount of space Xbox 360, Xbox One, and two power bricks take up. It doesn't impact me, but this should be a major deal in Japan where sp.... ahahahaha, I couldn't finish.

Linkachu95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Linkachu95

Having used the Back Compat feature it is pretty cool. I played some Battle Block Theater, Toy Soldiers, Viva Piñata, and even some Hexic to test it out. Those where all digital games and they just showed up as ready to install in my games list. It took awhile to load the first time I launched a game because it was retrieving some 360 info but after that it took around a minute to launch the games. I still have my 360 out in another room and pulled up the same games and I didn't notice any appreciable difference. I am excited for them to put more games up and happy I have such a large digital collection from sales and games with gold.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Yeah - it was cool just to load up my Xbox One and download Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Toy Soldiers: Cold War and Super Meat Boy. Out of those, even though I own them I'd only really played Super Meat Boy (Banjo and Perfect Dark I played the hell out of back on n64). I'm super excited about re-installing Viva Pinata x 2.

It's really dumb because my 360 is still hooked up to my main TV and everything is still right there - but I never really use it. It being on the Xbox One just makes it easier to switch to it when I'm flicking between games.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, this is going to be awesome if the library of games made available is solid. Give me Red Dead Redemption, Burnout: Revenge & Paradise, Hitman HD Collection, Forza games, Red Faction: Guerilla, CoD Modern Warfare Trilogy, etc. I can theoretically still play most of these games, but I'll be way more likely to if I don't have to go dig out/unravel the 360 controllers and whatnot to play them on the smaller TV. Microsoft deserves some props for this one. This is a big-time feature.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i still have a near launch 360 that doesn't have hdmi or wired internet (480i and weird wireless dongle for life), so being able to go through (hopefully) my backlog in hd will be really great.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't be exited

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're talked about it tonight. So it is emulation, but it's the Xbox One emulating the Xbox 360 completely. So they only need the rights holder of the game to approve it, probably because the software licensing was specifically to run on the Xbox 360 console, not on the Xbox One console. I still see some publishers not giving approval for some games.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy for people with 360 games although I'm wondering if games that never had a digital version can so easily be compatible because it sounded like when you played it off the disc it downloads a digital version with the disc just acting as ownership check.

Sucks that there's no way for this to push Sony to do anything about backwards compatibility.

shrubsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Had some feedback on GAF that this working for non preview members, hope it helps out.

I was able to access the BC 360 games on my Xbox One by doing the following:

1. Find a user who has played a BC 360 game on their XB1 (Major Nelson has Mass Effect in his list for example, e is also good for a few games).

2. Make sure you are following them as a friend.

3. Go to your Friends tab on the xbox one dash and go to the 'Popular with friends' section

4. Find the 360 game and click into it

5. You should then have view in store, install etc options

This has worked for me for Hexic HD, Perfect Dark,Mass Effect and Defense grid (all digitally purchased previously).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@wallee321 said:

I hope for GTAV (friends still haven't upgraded), Halo: Reach ( I have it, but never got too far into it), and Vanquish (Never played it, but heard good things about it).

My 360 (from 2007) died Feb 2014 and after I had it repaired in Feb 2013 and at that point refused to get it repaired again or buy another one.

There are a lot of games that will probably never be added. My guess is that Vanquish might, but GTAV and Halo:Reach never will because they already have releases on the Xbox One.

I would have been a lot more excited if the games ran better on the Xbox One. Because it's software emulation, I don't see why they couldn't do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6 said:
    @wallee321 said:

There are a lot of games that will probably never be added. My guess is that Vanquish might, but GTAV and Halo:Reach never will because they already have releases on the Xbox One.

I would have been a lot more excited if the games ran better on the Xbox One. Because it's software emulation, I don't see why they couldn't do that.

Halo Reach isn't on Xbox One (You must be confusing it with ODST?) and they already have it front and center on the Xbox page graphic, so that one is in. (As are other Halos)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Many of the great games are likely ones publishers will want to RE-sell to you as a HD remake or as a new game that they won't want the old game clouding the water.

In an industry where Nintendo sells gamers Super Mario Bros ten times over I think it rather optimistic to believe that this will be something publishers or their investors think is a profitable idea. They will authorize a few A-tier titles but mostly you will see far more middling games on that list after a while.

The backwards compatibility initiative are always very feel good. It feels good taht you new thing will play the old stuff you have on the shelf. But we all have seen how this goes. Some game won't get authorized, some will but won't work on the emulation, and the games that jump those two hurdles are game that by definition you HAVE ALREADY played.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shrubsy:

Thanks! I just played through the first world of Super Meat Boy on my Xbox One! It was a real treat to play with a D-Pad that doesn't suck eggs.

I wonder if this is how Team Meat got the game on to Sony platforms. I bet they agreed to make it backwards compatible in exchange for the right to sell it on PlayStation (That and putting Binding of Isaac on XBONE, which has been announced.)

I think people are underestimating the number of "big" games that will be backwards compatible. Remakes are going to be less lucrative now that more original stuff is coming on the new consoles, and the idea of making money on a future remake has to be balanced against the benefit of A) Being able to sell new copies to people who only have an XBONE but no 360 hooked up (especially if this is a long console generation) and B) Promotional opportunities like "Buy Fallout 4 get Fallout 3 free!" and "Buy Rainbow Six Seige, Get Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 free!" which have already been announced.

Steam doesn't make you rebuy games every generation and it's currently THE most profitable platform out there for publishers, (partially BECAUSE you can endlessly repackage old games to increase the retail 'tail.') Heck you want to talk remakes, look at Darksiders 2. Maybe that game will never be backwards compatible because they want to sell the remake, but they can either A) Give you Darksiders 1 for free when you buy it (Get the whole Darksiders saga on your Xbox one for one low price!) or at least B) Make Darksiders 1 backwards compatible so people who never played it but are interested in the 2 remake can get caught up.

I think we'll see a lot of that kind of thing. The emulation in this case is apparently 'flip a switch' emulation rather than case by case emulation like with the OG Xbox on 360 so I think a lot of publishers will see the opportunity to sell more of their old games to new users or use old games as promotional tools at virtually no cost and take the plunge.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I play ride to hell? If so I'm in. That was a fantastic quicklook. Was that Vinny and Brad?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.