Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Top 10 Unanswered Questions

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Vincenzo

These questions matter to my friends and I. Maybe I didn't dig hard enough, but should I have to dig? If you have answers to these questions, please cite reputable sources. Also, do you care about this stuff?

10. Will the Xbox One retain most or all features/options the Xbox 360 had like low power downloads, sleep timer, etc.

9. Which launch games, if any are confirmed to use the Azure Cloud for multiplayer dedicated servers or other processing on Day One? Can we see a list?

8. Will there be a mount or stand for the new Kinect?

7. When will the wireless headset be available?

6. Will the Xbox One also be able to control A/V receivers via IR Blaster?

5. Will the recorded gameplay feature allow for Kinect audio/video overlay?

4. Will there be new Xbox Live Arcade titles on the One starting Wednesday November 27th? If so, what are the titles?

3. Will Microsoft allow for partners like Amazon to sell digital download codes for games and content? Will pre-orders for this be allowed so as to get exclusives and content this way?

2. Will we be able to pre-order digital download content (Full games, Arcade games) on XBLM? Will it pre-load?

1. Can we now download content in the background while playing online? Are we able to download multiple things at once?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@vincenzo:

• I'm pretty sure XONE will have pre-load options but not at launch according to Penello.
    • In addition, I don't think games on the Xbox marketplace have a differentiating "title" anymore. From what I understand, they are all "equal" so they might just release on Tuesday?
    • Background downloads are a feature on XONE.
    • From what I know, Forza 5 definitely takes advantage of the Cloud, possibly Ghosts in terms of their dedicated servers as well. Not sure about the other titles.
    • I think there is an attached mount on the Kinect that allows it to move when scanning the room and what-not.
    • In terms of the wireless headset, they confirmed they're aiming to release an adapter for "early" 2014.
    • In terms of Kinect recording/functionality, the recent dashboard/UI video kind of showcased how that works. He managed to create a clip showcasing the two picture split of gameplay and what the Kinect sees.

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the input. I made the list though because the answers are not easy to find. The main Xbox One website does not address anything in much detail.

What matters most to me is dedicated servers for Ghosts. Mark Rubin said all platforms would have the feature in October. And that was the last anyone has spoke of it. However we know the 360 has host migrations so it doesnt seem to be implemented there.

It makes me nervous when this information is not stated clearly anywhere. I will be very disappointed if Ghosts on the One does not have dedicated servers on Day One.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They should really release info on their TV integration. They talk a lot about how awesome it is but they haven't released info on supported Cable providers, DVR integration, etc.

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vincenzo

@deranged:

Also, do you have any sources on where you heard some of your info? I am trying to put together a list of information from my friends and I want to offer them something concrete.

thanks!

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JackBurt0n

@vincenzo Hey man, that dashboard demo video that @deranged referenced can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe6jV-APwM It shows off a lot of the features like the kinect tracking when they're on a Skype call, as well as the game DVR editing/options of also showing yourself from the Kinect along with gameplay.

For #6, I know in the unboxing video Major Nelson did, he does quickly touch on the fact that the XBOne does have an IR Blaster in Kinect, or you can connect one via a port on the back of the system, which is also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbrmAsxJPv4&list=PL0il2l-B_Wwa3yUEi3uCD-byJrJvaEhuC&index=16 (around the 2:05 mark)

#9, Forza 5 is the only one they're really talking about using Azure/Cloud power to power their drivatars/ghosts data. You can find that in a lot of previews, the best one I found is here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/drivatar/forza.aspx

8: No stand. :( Only place it horizontal. I think one of the Interview Dumptruck interviews with either Marc Whitten or someone else mentions this.

4: I haven't heard anything yet, BUT, I expect we'll hear more once it launches.

3. I think they already do with the 360, but if they don't, I haven't heard anything about that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@jayeh said:

They should really release info on their TV integration. They talk a lot about how awesome it is but they haven't released info on supported Cable providers, DVR integration, etc.

They show it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe6jV-APwM

Looks far superior to anything you get out of a cable box so that's great.

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vincenzo

@artisanbreads: @jackburt0n:

Thanks for the links guys. I watched those videos previously and missed the part about the audio video overlay. Still, it does not indicate what the IR Blaster will be able to control such as a/v receivers which many people have. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but it would be nice to know what we will be working with.

I still find it very curious that these tidbits are not written anywhere. And my point still stands. I follow video game news pretty closely, we are thinking we remember details from this interview or maybe that article, but why doesnt MS have this information readily available?

The fact that I posted this list is just as much a commentary about the lack of official information as it is the quest for the answers.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

@vincenzo:

• I'm pretty sure XONE will have pre-load options but not at launch according to Penello.
    • In addition, I don't think games on the Xbox marketplace have a differentiating "title" anymore. From what I understand, they are all "equal" so they might just release on Tuesday?
    • Background downloads are a feature on XONE.
    • From what I know, Forza 5 definitely takes advantage of the Cloud, possibly Ghosts in terms of their dedicated servers as well. Not sure about the other titles.
    • I think there is an attached mount on the Kinect that allows it to move when scanning the room and what-not.
    • In terms of the wireless headset, they confirmed they're aiming to release an adapter for "early" 2014.
    • In terms of Kinect recording/functionality, the recent dashboard/UI video kind of showcased how that works. He managed to create a clip showcasing the two picture split of gameplay and what the Kinect sees.

I think he was asking if background downloads work while playing an online game. Neither task consumes enough bandwith that they need be mutually exclusive. The same goes for media applications. The PS3 Amazon app and maybe even the 360 app (never tested it myself) allowed for background downloads with no impact on your stream quality. And while 360 and PS3 supported background downloads a lot of single player games would suspend downloads for no apparent reason at all. I hope both next gen consoles address these issues. If I have the bandwith to watch Netflix on one TV play Call of Duty on the other and be downloading something on my PC why do games and apps on my consoles have to exclude downloading?

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thrice_604:

I was most definitely referring to downloading while playing online and I agree with you.

"1. Can we now download content in the background while playing online? Are we able to download multiple things at once? "

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Hold on to your bone their Sparky, until the Xbox One can control the DVR portion of the cable box, nobody will be dropping their cablebox controller just yet. I really see no point to the TV integration until they add this feature (who watches live TV anymore?), with maybe the exception of watching a live sporting event while gaming (which is pretty cool).

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@leftie68 said:

@artisanbreads: Hold on to your bone their Sparky, until the Xbox One can control the DVR portion of the cable box, nobody will be dropping their cablebox controller just yet. I really see no point to the TV integration until they add this feature (who watches live TV anymore?), with maybe the exception of watching a live sporting event while gaming (which is pretty cool).

Uh.... my bone.

Anyways, lots of people watch live TV, even if you don't. And it is already controlling your cable box somehow by doing what it is so I think DVR control is very much only a matter of time.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged:

Wow. That article has a lot of info and it answers a couple of the questions I listed, though more details are still to come apparently. Thank you for posting it.

But honestly, shouldn't all of that info be in a FAQ on the Xbox One website??

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vincenzo said:

@deranged:

Wow. That article has a lot of info and it answers a couple of the questions I listed, though more details are still to come apparently. Thank you for posting it.

But honestly, shouldn't all of that info be in a FAQ on the Xbox One website??

Glad I could help dude, it was pretty useful and I found insightful for Whitten to do considering the massive information that was tossed around lately.

And seriously, it cannot be that hard right?

JuanFabulous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

re: point 1, that was covered in the first reveal event if i remember correctly, they have introduced background download and/or installation whilst playing any game, including the game downloading/installing.

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vincenzo

Here is something else that has not been 'officially' detailed on Xbox.com. For Xbox Gold Home, I read that family members can make their own Gamertags, But, how many? And, how does that process work? Do they all have to be under the same email address or use their own?

Am I the only one frustrated and shocked that this stuff has not been detailed yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.