Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

What do people think of the new Xbox One system update? (Rolling out this weekend)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates  Online

Poll What do people think of the new Xbox One system update? (Rolling out this weekend) (144 votes)

I really like it 27%
    I really hate it 1%
    It's fine, I guess 27%
    I like it in general but there are rough edges (buggy apps) 8%
    I don't care about Xbox 10%
    I miss the Sega Saturn 26%

What do people think about the new Xbone update? So far it seems cool. I wish background music had more options (not just Spotify but an easy way to stream from a local computer) and the 'updates' tab took a long time to populate, but it feels snappier than it has and being able to organize and navigate the game collection better is a huge plus, especially with the high clip at which backwards compatible games are being added (something like half my collection is 360 games*.)

I have always been an outlier in actually liking the Xbox UI, though, so I'm curious if I'm alone here or if people are starting to warm to it.

*This isn't really a UI thing, but I wish they'd figured out a way to update the 360 emulator without requiring a patch to each 360 game. Not a huge complaint, but the more games get added the more there is to download each time they tweak the emulator.

• 
    conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The redesigned "My Games & Apps" app is nice. Other than that, it's kind of an inconsequential update for me.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine, I guess. It's certainly better than before, at least, on the Games & Apps front, but it's still kind of a shitty design overall so it's hard to be too excited about it. I remember liking a 360 UI at one point, after blades but before tiles, I think? Or maybe it was the blades. I guess if that statement is indicative of anything it's that UI is really not as big of a deal as all the bitching about it would have you believe. At least, to me.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I want an Xbox One update that makes it so it doesnt take 15 seconds for the power off menu to show up after I hold the xbox button down.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RickRockmann

Is anyone else in the preview program? I feel like the new My Games & Apps was waaaay faster to navigate before the update went public, am I crazy?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gleasonryan: huh, that's weird. That's an issue I've never had. At most it takes maybe 5 seconds? Usually it's just about instantaneous though. I wonder what could cause that issue?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Traded in my day 1 Xbox yesterday, I'll let ya know when I pick up my One S on Tuesday. : )

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ive been using my xboxone as a media player pretty much exclusively, but i dont use things like spotify, everything i like is downloaded across my devices. waste of an update for me, didnt even notice it

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the KI button is in the same place? Yes? Okay, it's good then.

Seriously, at a glance it seems better than before. I don't know if I'll be using background music, but I guess that's a nice-to-have thing. I'd still like to have an option to view my games/apps in list form rather than as tiles, but what they've done seems like a big improvement and might be better than a list view anyway, especially given that half my games collection is Rare Replay.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The lack of background music is a bit of a faux pas. I mean, why launch it if it isn't ready? Unless I'm missing something?

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

After using the update in preview for a while, I was most excited about the store. Separating "coming soon" stuff into it's own views is fantastic for actually seeing what's "new" and not having to scroll through a bunch of crap, and there are some other filters in there that are nice to have.

However, navigating the store seems incredibly slow at times, and there appears to be some kind of memory leak where if you do too much, eventually it slows to a crawl and just crashes.

@samfo said:

The lack of background music is a bit of a faux pas. I mean, why launch it if it isn't ready? Unless I'm missing something?

You're not missing anything. Almost none of the apps have been updated to support it. I think the podcasting app is the only one.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'm on the preview program, so I've had this for a month. Here are my thoughts:

1) Cortana needs work. Badly. The voice recognition is worse than Day One Kinect, there's significant latency when it does work that makes it a bit of an inconvenience to use in the first place, and it often just crashes when trying to perform the action I asked it to. At least it "learns" from your use of it, but I'm not thrilled about having to "teach" another bit of voice recognition software when they axed the last one shortly after it actually began to work reliably. It has the potential to be a Google Home/Amazon Echo sort of thing, so I'm trying to be patient with it, but right now it's rough. As an aside, saying "Hey Cortana" instead of "Xbox" in front of every command is annoying.

2) New "My Games & Apps" section is quality. Good, clear interface there, and I like the ability to see, manage, and prioritize updates. The only problem is the location of the button to get to the "My Games & Apps" section on the Home screen. It's in the top right corner, and seemingly can't be moved or pinned elsewhere. If you move once too far up or right, you're on the menu bar or next page, and that's frustrating. I had a nice little pin before this that was a two-button press to get me there, and I much preferred that location. Maybe there's a way around this, but I haven't figured it out yet.

3) Background music is here! Wait, no it isn't. It's theoretically here. The back-end functionality exists, but I don't think you can't actually use it until an app supports it. They make it sound like Pandora does, but it doesn't work yet, and won't until a "later update" of the app. Which doesn't even really help because that's not my music library. After that, supposedly Groove Music and others will be added. I can technically UPnP my phone playlist to Groove Music for use at that point, but that process is a pain in the ass. I haven't tried adding music directly to my external drive to see if that works. Maybe it does, but I'm not even sure how/where you'd access the music if it's on an external drive. Or, wait, I could add music to OneDrive, then open Groove Music to play that, then have Groove Music run in the background when that app update comes out...FUCK, JUST MAKE THIS FUNCTIONAL AND SIMPLE!

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"It's fine I guess". However, since mine updated, my XB1 periodically turns it self on, for no reason. Just randomly I'll hear it chime and I look over and it's on.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cortana isn't available in Canada, but only on Xbox One. I have it on my PC and phone with both the region and language set to Canada, so I don't know what the deal is.

The reorganized games page is a little easier to find stuff, but nothing to get excited about.

The store's organization is actually a bit worse because they're trying to unify their stores across all Windows 10 platforms, so it's less game-specific despite being on a games console. Before you launch the store proper there are more non-game apps displayed, and I preferred how everything was categorized on the old storefront into new, upcoming, recommended, backward compatible and demos. Now they also display top rated, top paid and top free like the regular Windows store does, which I have never liked. At least "top grossing" is out of the mix. That was always just an indicator that the game has ridiculous in-game purchases to target naive players.

So for me the store is a bit worse, the games list is a bit better and everything else is the same. I'll try it out again when Cortana is available here because I actually really like the feature when I can use it.

Yeah, I forgot about the store page. It is worse. It has mobile apps and shit listed there now, which is dumb and adds clutter.

Cortana on the computer works great. The Xbox One version, not so much.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

@sethmode: I believe its my external drive being connected. When I hold the button the controller will vibrate, then I can still navigate the dash then boom 15 seconds later the menu will pop up. Im not running beta or anything. It has always been like this for me even when I got a new xbox one 6 months ago.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, but it's a bit rough.

The new games and apps section is a big improvement.

I'll never use Cortana, so meh.

The new store is okay-ish, but seems really buggy - e.g, crashed several times, clicking the downloads button at the top-right searches for a "library" app but can't find one, the apps section (in the UK) listed Hulu on the front paget but clicking on it gives a "not found" message.

Background music is incomplete, but looks like it should be good once some apps actually support it.

Bit of a mixed bag.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By notnert427

Apparently the Groove app now has an update available to preview members that will allow background music. I will test this out tonight and report back. I uploaded some songs to OneDrive, so I'm going to test the ability to cloud-stream from that as well as via BubbleUpNP from my phone. The BubbleUpNP has worked in the past, but it can't skip forward or back on your playlist via the Xbox controller (you have to control the playlist on your phone), so I'm curious if that's still a limitation. It appears that you can create a playlist in the Groove app itself from your OneDrive music, so if that works as it should, I suspect that will allow you to flip through songs on the playlist with the Xbox controller. If that works, I'm happy. We'll see.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE DREAM LIVES!

I just played Rocket League with Motorhead blaring in the background. Fucking awesome. Here's the process:

I uploaded all my music from my phone to OneDrive at work today. Then I pulled up the Groove web player, which conveniently imported my OneDrive music after signing in. Then I made a few playlists on that. (It was not a productive work day.) When I got home, I downloaded the updated Groove app. ***NOTE: This app is presently only available to preview members. The existing app will NOT update; there is another Groove app you have to download the app store that won't have a blue background and will instead have your Xbox theme color as the background.*** This app will allow background music. I opened it, put on a playlist and it snapped to the left and voila! Background music is a thing again. I'm really glad this works. Having to put the music on OneDrive was a pain, but everything else was easy. Also, you DO NOT have to pay the $9.99/month to use the Groove player for your own music, which is nice. This has been a long time coming, and I'm pleased to say it's as it should be.

Back to Metal Rocket League!

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the update in general was fine and as someone that has a Kinect I'll just stick with that over Cortana though.

I like the new placement of my games & apps, the fact you can see how much data is being used to download games from the store, the new tile system for games and the like. I also appreciate that you can now delete any DLC from disc based games you don't have installed, I've moved towards digital in the last year and a half but I finally was able to get rid of some Dead Rising 3 and Shadow of Mordor DLC that was kicking around after failing to uninstall them ages ago.

I like how the store looks now as well, but unless I'm missing something the fact that I can't search for games by genre (I know genre is getting a bit blurry these days what with games blending many genres at once) but it would be nice to be able to search for more specific things. Especially as more games get released and the older games get pushed to the back. So unless you know exactly what game you're searching for it seems real easy for some games to get lost in the shuffle as time goes on. Being able to just search for RPG games, action games, puzzle games or go a bit granular such as horror games would of been nice.

Overall though, the update has been pretty okay.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They finally separated language and location (like on the PS4 in fact). I don't have to set my location to an English speaking country to be able to play my games in English anymore, that's great but that took some time to get there.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Size, lack of power brick, and the small chnages in buttons are a postive - all needed improvments. Yet, I don't really see who this is for when Scorpio is being dangled in a year. (I still think Scorpio is a huge mistake, but that is a discussion for another thread.)

So, good for MS, but too bad it 'IS' what should have come out in 2014 and coming a year away from a more powerful entry.

This thread is about the latest software update, not the Xbox One S. It's a significant one, adding Cortana, background music, expanded language options, UI changes to the "My games & apps" area people visit the most, UI changes to the store, etc.

Cortana is finally coming around. Having a Kinect, I was just about frustrated enough with Cortana early on to go back to the "Xbox ____" commands. I'm glad I didn't, because it's actually starting to learn my cadence and respond consistently now (after a month of forcing myself to use it in the hopes it would learn). There's still a bit more latency than I'd like, but I'm glad to report that it is improving. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd forgotten how much I missed background music. Man, it really adds something to your game if done right. Rocket League was that much more intense/fun with a metal soundtrack, and then I fired up Forza Horizon 2, put on some Ludovico Einaudi, and just blissfully cruised around. Really different and cool experiences there. I'm all-in on the Groove Music app now. Especially since Forza Horizon 3 will have a Groove Station that will use your playlists, which will take me back to the good ol' OG Xbox days of having Rallisport Challenge 2 blast a random Audioslave song at the start of every race. (I'll be painting a Lancer up appropriately to cruise around virtual Australia for maximum nostalgia.) I've got half a mind to pay the $9.99/month for the Groove Music Pass just out of appreciation that the ability to have background music is back and works.

The ability to set your language different than your country doesn't really affect me as a 'Merican in 'Merica, but is a useful (and needed) deal for displaced duders. As I alluded to earlier, the My Games & Apps section updates are pretty great, with my only complaint there being the fixed location of the button to get you there. The store updates are pretty hit-and-miss. I do like the layout and that they've consolidated games, music, video, et al. in one tab, but the clutter within each section is silly. It shouldn't pull up phone apps and other shit that isn't even for the Xbox, and things like having two Groove Music apps are redundant and confusing.

If I could, I'd alter my earlier vote of "I like it in general but there are rough edges (buggy apps)" to "I really like it", based on them getting Groove background music to work quicker (and better) than expected and Cortana showing noticeable progress of late. I fully expect them to clean up the store a bit and allow the My Games and Apps button to be pinned elsewhere in the coming months. Overall, I really love how well they've supported the console and tweaked it based on feedback, and this is yet another quality example of that. I'd probably give Phil Spencer a hug if I ever saw him.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By monkeyking1969

@notnert427 said:
    @monkeyking1969 said:

Size, lack of power brick, and the small chnages in buttons are a postive - all needed improvments. Yet, I don't really see who this is for when Scorpio is being dangled in a year. (I still think Scorpio is a huge mistake, but that is a discussion for another thread.)

So, good for MS, but too bad it 'IS' what should have come out in 2014 and coming a year away from a more powerful entry.

This thread is about the latest software update, not the Xbox One S. It's a significant one, adding Cortana, background music, expanded language options, UI changes to the "My games & apps" area people visit the most, UI changes to the store, etc.

Cortana is finally coming around. Having a Kinect, I was just about frustrated enough with Cortana early on to go back to the "Xbox ____" commands. I'm glad I didn't, because it's actually starting to learn my cadence and respond consistently now (after a month of forcing myself to use it in the hopes it would learn). There's still a bit more latency than I'd like, but I'm glad to report that it is improving. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd forgotten how much I missed background music. Man, it really adds something to your game if done right. Rocket League was that much more intense/fun with a metal soundtrack, and then I fired up Forza Horizon 2, put on some Ludovico Einaudi, and just blissfully cruised around. Really different and cool experiences there. I'm all-in on the Groove Music app now. Especially since Forza Horizon 3 will have a Groove Station that will use your playlists, which will take me back to the good ol' OG Xbox days of having Rallisport Challenge 2 blast a random Audioslave song at the start of every race. (I'll be painting a Lancer up appropriately to cruise around virtual Australia for maximum nostalgia.) I've got half a mind to pay the $9.99/month for the Groove Music Pass just out of appreciation that the ability to have background music is back and works.

The ability to set your language different than your country doesn't really affect me as a 'Merican in 'Merica, but is a useful (and needed) deal for displaced duders. As I alluded to earlier, the My Games & Apps section updates are pretty great, with my only complaint there being the fixed location of the button to get you there. The store updates are pretty hit-and-miss. I do like the layout and that they've consolidated games, music, video, et al. in one tab, but the clutter within each section is silly. It shouldn't pull up phone apps and other shit that isn't even for the Xbox, and things like having two Groove Music apps are redundant and confusing.

If I could, I'd alter my earlier vote of "I like it in general but there are rough edges (buggy apps)" to "I really like it", based on them getting Groove background music to work quicker (and better) than expected and Cortana showing noticeable progress of late. I fully expect them to clean up the store a bit and allow the My Games and Apps button to be pinned elsewhere in the coming months. Overall, I really love how well they've supported the console and tweaked it based on feedback, and this is yet another quality example of that. I'd probably give Phil Spencer a hug if I ever saw him.

Yeah, sorry, I was on my phone. The phone juggles the view of threads very poorly, so my response to the other thread accidentally was written here - my mistake.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I really like that they show the prices and whether you have purchased the game in the store. It makes sifting through it much better. I still wish they were somehow able to organize the store better. Maybe organize it by genre?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One more thing I forgot to mention regarding background music streaming from your OneDrive through Groove, I noticed zero impact on my online gaming. I was afraid it would hose my internet connection, but I played Rocket League with no trouble last night (and you notice every bit of lag in that game).

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By handlas

I skimmed this thread, tbh... but I'm not seeing people whine about how horribly slow every page takes to load. I'm the only one I guess? I have shit internet so maybe that's contributing heavily. For instance, it will take a good 30-40 seconds to populate all of the box art for the games when I pull up the store. Same goes when trying to load a game page with the box art, screenshots, etc.

Feels a bit of a downgrade to me. The layouts of the pages of games and what-not isn't different enough to matter... you just scroll vertically instead of horizontally.

On the positive side, I'm not sure how new it is but I'm glad there is a 360 backwards compatible section on the store now.

The one thing I really want is for them to redesign the home screen. I'd rather "my pins" be at the top instead of a huge window of the last thing I was playing.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine I guess? It still runs and lets me play video games which is what I want it to do. I don't really use it anything else other than to play video games so there isn't anything I noticed different from the ordinary. My friend complains that his pins aren't sticking or placed for easy access, "Cortana sucks", and that's about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.