Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

XBONE Media Remote: How flimsy are these?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So it seems my media remote has just shit the bed. At first i thought the batteries died but replacing them didn't fix anything, I tried multiple batteries I don't think it's an issue with the pack. So I'm wondering if anyone else has one of these and how common it is for them to brake? I received this remote as a Christmas present and I do use it quite frequently. Even when not using the xbox it is tethered to my sound bars volume controls. But I mainly use my xbox one as a cable/streaming service box so not having this remote anymore is a bummer. However I don't want to immediately go out and buy a new one if they have a reputation for dying within 6months of purchase. Is this common or has my bad luck proceeded me? It was working fine as of yesterday and I know it wasn't dropped between then and when it stopped working...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I bought a Harmony 350 remote and it works perfectly for my Xbox One, receiver, and TV. I had to do some fiddling for the receiver but that wasn't too hard.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: And you are able to control the XBOX One UI when on the dashboard? Maybe I'll go the route of getting a harmony but I really liked the media remote, it is small and did everything I need to. It is also only 17 bucks right now but maybe the cheap cost equates to a cheap design. It never felt cheap IMO though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@xanadu said:

@justin258: And you are able to control the XBOX One UI when on the dashboard? Maybe I'll go the route of getting a harmony but I really liked the media remote, it is small and did everything I need to. It is also only 17 bucks right now but maybe the cheap cost equates to a cheap design. It never felt cheap IMO though.

It can! I haven't tried looking through Netflix with it, though, I should give that a shot.

One caveat that I forgot to mention is that the Harmony remote has to be pointed directly at the Xbox for its inputs to be recognized. This isn't a problem for me, but it could be for someone else.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I've had one since they were launched, use it almost every day, and it's still working perfectly.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arjailer: @justin258: that was all the convincing I needed, thanks. Wonder what caused mine to just totally die randomly.

Also Justin, since I was out and it was farthers day I bought my dad a harmony 650 that was on sale. Just set it up for him and I'm pretty impressed. I'll probably get one if this cheaper xbox remote fails on me again.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xanadu

@andythemez: yeah you can. I watch cable tv and streaming apps on my xbox one with the remote. The only time I turn a controller on is to play a game, which is rare.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.