Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One Backward Compatibility drops monthly releases

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not too impressed by the list either. I still love the idea of BC and hope that they continue to support more games. There's just not too in the BC list that I'm very interested in. Put RDR in the list and I'll gladly replay it again though.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nashvilleskyline

I have to agree with you on this. But, it's a better option than not to have it. I'm always a little surprised at how people can complain about something free. Also, I think there is a bigger picture here about that Backward compatibility commitment. I think it also shows that MS wants to comit to make whatever the next box is, backward compatible right of the bat... and this, is way more interesting if that turns out to be the case when the next generation arrives.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have to agree with you on this. But, it's a better option than not to have it. I'm always a little surprised at how people can complain about something free. Also, I think there is a bigger picture here about that Backward compatibility commitment. I think it also shows that MS wants to comit to make whatever the next box is, backward compatible right of the bat... and this, is way more interesting if that turns out to be the case when the next generation arrives.

I'm less optimistic about their commitment. The 360 had some BC to the OG Xbox, MS said people didn't use it, and then used that as a rationale to not include it initially with the Xbox One. That cycle may well repeat itself. It would probably help if they actually added some more of the most requested games. Right now, only 3 of the top 25 most requested games are even "in-progress". I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt as to being hamstrung by publishers on some games, but there is no reason per their explanation of how this works to not have all the MS titles like the Forza games available.

Your point about complaining about something free is a good one, but I still have to say I've been disappointed with the list so far. MS carries a big stick and needs to use it to get publishers to allow games like the Burnout series, the Modern Warfare trilogy, the GTA games/RDR, Skyrim, etc. I'm betting people would use the hell out of backwards compatibility if some of those became available. I think it would be a win for publishers, too. There are some games I missed last-gen or that I loved and owned on another platform that I would buy now if they were BC available on my Xbox One. That'd be my sales pitch to publishers.

I will say that I'm happy to see CS:GO make the cut. I'll play some more of that, but I'd still like MS to be doing way more with BC. If they don't give the people what they're asking for, then BC doesn't stand a chance of taking off. The real irony is that arguably the most impressive thing about MS with the Xbox One is that they have responded to the consumer and the console is mostly better off as a result. Now take that lesson and apply it to BC.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All anyone is asking for is Skate 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2. That's it! That's all anyone wants! Stop wasting time on these other, lesser games, and give us the TITULAR games from this 'XBOX Skate 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 Backwards Compatibility Program'! I mean why even call it that if they're gonna do these other games?? I just don't get it

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nashvilleskyline: People get upset because of the disappointment in seeing too many lackluster titles on the BC list. Even though it's free, the meager offerings are still a disappointment compared to what Microsoft could be offering. Skyrim, RDR, Black OPs, Lost Odyssey and so many more are missing.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin said:

All anyone is asking for is Skate 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2. That's it! That's all anyone wants! Stop wasting time on these other, lesser games, and give us the TITULAR games from this 'XBOX Skate 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 Backwards Compatibility Program'! I mean why even call it that if they're gonna do these other games?? I just don't get it

Well, at least Skate 3 is "in-progress" for you.

Also worth noting in this bit of news is that The Witcher 2 is free with Gold for a few weeks.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

where the heck is burnout

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking they would roll out quicker. They presented it like it was no problem to get most games out and the publishers just had to say they were cool with it for them to essentially flip the switch. The trickle of compatible games that nobody cared about when they were new on 360, along with how poorly some of the games run, leads me to believe that's not exactly the case.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwheeeler: I thought even the Criterion team said something about how they want that to happen. It's probably a longer process than most people assume. They probably have to sign some amount of legal bs then run the games through at least some limited quality control to make sure they actually do work. It would explain why Witcher 2 was in a lot of the announcement footage and is only just now being made available for the public.

I'm not particularly blown away about this batch, but I'm also not the person who backwards compatibility is for. I own a 360, and it's even still hooked up for the occasional times I want to play Rock Band. The only thing this really does for me is let my use the Xbox One controlled on 360 games, but I get the feeling that I'm, like, the only person who even thinks of that as a positive.

I saw something about them not waiting to collect a bunch of games before releasing these updates anymore, and that they're instead going to release the capability as soon as it's available for the individual games. That seems like a good way to move with this stuff. There are probably two or three games that if they made available, I'd at least mess around with on the Xbox One.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By notnert427
    @hatking said:

@bwheeeler: I thought even the Criterion team said something about how they want that to happen.

In late October 2015, Criterion said Burnout Paradise was coming to BC on their twitter. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen. Even if it does, it's probably a long way off, based on the fact that Black Ops, Bioshock, et al. have been officially confirmed to be in the works by Microsoft for months now and still aren't available.

@hatking said:

The only thing this really does for me is let my use the Xbox One controlled on 360 games, but I get the feeling that I'm, like, the only person who even thinks of that as a positive.

No, you aren't. Once you get used to an Xbox One controller, everything else feels like crap. I also own a 360 that's still hooked up, but I'd be much more inclined to play the BC versions on the Xbox One. I can't go back to the 360 controller's slippery thumbsticks and weak triggers.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

@notnert427: Glad I'm not alone on that. I'd go as far as saying that the Xbox One controller is my favorite controller I've ever used. I don't really like the shoulder buttons, but everything else about it feels better to me than anything else I've used.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of baffled that CS:GO is on that list. I'm guessing that MS went to Valve and they said, "who gives a shit, we don't care about that version anyways." I played that game on PS3 a little when it first came out and it hasn't be updated at all since, while the PC version has been continuously updated and improved.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put Red Dead Redemption, Dark Souls, Skyrim, and New Vegas, and I'll unplug my 360.

Anyway, I don't see how people can complain THAT much about the list being weak. Be happy they're doing this at all and give it time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a theory on another limitation that I hadn't seen talked about with these backwards compatible games. It looks to me like every single game that has been backwards compatible so far has a digital download version of it, but what about the games that never got a digital release. I want Lost Odyssey backwards compatible but from what ive seen it verifies the disc then downloads that same digital copy from the 360 marketplace. I don't think any of the titles that never got onto the marketplace in full download form will ever work on xbox one, but that's just something I was thinking might be an issue. I could be completely wrong.

As far as the quality of backwards compatible titles, I have been mostly disappointed and I had expected a more aggressive roll out of updates for it to this point. I hope that it improves, because I would love to be able to finally unhook my 360

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: paradise - the greatest game of all time - thank you

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think the whole initiative was thought up to push consoles, but it is not doing that. Nor, does it seems to have developer much bad press for Sony or Nintendo. So really BC is just losing Microsoft money, and I'm sure publishers are saying, "Dude?? Do you really want to sell less games...we sure don't?" I think they will just trickle some titles out, but the games people want won't really be the ones that end up being offered.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

The problem isn't the games (or at least it's not my main concern) but how the emulation in most cases sucks complete ass. They've only just got around to finally bringing the Gears games to a playable standard. Though Gears 3 is still kinda iffy, but then I have to wonder if that's how it always ran even on 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.