Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One Controllers Breaking

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I would like to start off by saying that I take good care of my controllers. I never throw them and they are always properly stored. In the past 35 years of gaming I may have replaced 2 controllers total.

With that said I have broken two Xbox One controllers since launch. Both of the left thumb sticks broke with normal play (One was broken playing Killer Instinct and the other was broken playing Dragon Age).

After a quick google search it appears that I am not alone. . .I am just wondering if any Giant Bomb community members have had the same issue. Will this become another Red Ring fiasco?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have had no issues with either of mine that I bought at launch, and one of them survived a throw from an angry wife that sent the batteries flying.

I am also really hard on controllers. I must have gone through a dozen PS2 controllers, and I believe four 360 controllers. The Xbox One's controllers seem pretty robust to me so far.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By conmulligan

The left stick is a little loose and the A button has gotten annoyingly squishy on one of mine. I got it at launch, so it's been in rotation for about 18 months. Durability wise, that's about on par with a 360 controller.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

@skadave said:

Will this become another Red Ring fiasco?

Nope.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanerobot said:

@skadave said:

Will this become another Red Ring fiasco?

Nope.

I realize that busted controllers won't be as big of an issue as a red ringed console. However, if a large percentage of controllers start to break in the next year or two, it may become a big deal. I guess we'll see.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skadave said:

I would like to start off by saying that I take good care of my controllers. I never throw them and they are always properly stored. In the past 35 years of gaming I may have replaced 2 controllers total.

With that said I have broken two Xbox One controllers since launch. Both of the left thumb sticks broke with normal play (One was broken playing Killer Instinct and the other was broken playing Dragon Age).

After a quick google search it appears that I am not alone. . .I am just wondering if any Giant Bomb community members have had the same issue. Will this become another Red Ring fiasco?

How did it break? Can you post a picture.

I have noticed a considerable amount of slop on the right stick of my Day One controller.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@dwigtk My controller's got the loose analogue sticks too. I replaced them with some metal ones which are tight but extremely slippery.

Probably went through one 360 pad a year when I was using them and the problem was usually analogue stick related.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By skadave

@dwigtk said:

@skadave said:

How did it break? Can you post a picture.

I have noticed a considerable amount of slop on the right stick of my Day One controller.

I believe that i may have pushed down too hard on the left analog stick on my first controller. It's hard to describe what is wrong with it. My best description would be that it's a bit springy/wobbly after you click in the analog stick.

My other controller floats up occasionally while playing. If i push the thumbstick around in different directions for a bit, the problem goes away.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

the controllers are way weaker than the 360 ones. But much more precise and confortable.... sort of a trade of I guess.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any problems with mine since launch, but then I haven't even changed batteries in it once either. Xbox One not getting much use.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me of that guy who destroyed 6 ps4 controllers and kept saying it wasn't his fault (not saying yours is the same situation, just made me laugh at that).

Unfortunately i haven't had my xbone controller for awhile so can't speak on its reliability. Did feel pretty solid while i was using it; shame about the dead zone. Kinda made Geometry Wars 3 unplayable.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

No problems here. My PS4 controller is still okay too minus the squeaking of the triggers. I hated the 360's problem with the loosening analog sticks. I dread the day it happens on my xbox one.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Since day one the left stick on my controller clicks in this uncomfortable way whenever I move it down or to the right. It hasn't resulted in any loss of function or anything significant, but the quality seems lesser regardless.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching a few online videos I think I might take one of them apart this evening and try to fix it. We'll see how it goes.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 controller has an R1 button that sticks, and a really shitty battery.

My Xbox One controller is fine.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@skadave: They're as easy to take apart as the 360 pad and a lot easier to put back together. Just be careful when you're prising off the grips - I've got a couple of nice scratches on mine because I used a metal tool and not a plastic one.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skadave: They're as easy to take apart as the 360 pad and a lot easier to put back together. Just be careful when you're prising off the grips - I've got a couple of nice scratches on mine because I used a metal tool and not a plastic one.

Thanks for the advice. . . i appreciate it.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Franstone

The controller that came with my launch One had issues so I sent it off to MS to be replaced.
    Two weeks later I find out they lost it.
    Weeeeeeeee!
    After three weeks the controller I got back was obviously a refurb because it was faulty as well.
    After multiple conversations with three different customer support folks I find out I can just bring it to my local MS store.
    An option I suggested in the beginning but was told that wasn't an option until the third person I dealt with.
    Went to the MS store, had it replaced, still have the same controller now just a little over a year later.
    The left thumb stick now sticks sometimes when I press to the right or like 3 o'clock.
    Time to get a new one.
    Oh well, shit happens, no need to reach for my torch and pitchfork.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just out of interest, has anyone tried a third party pad? The one I'm thinking of is the Horipad.

Triggers aren't analogue though, and every third party pad I've tried for either Playstation or Xbox has huge deadzones on the sticks.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My launch controller broke due to some frustrations I encountered one night playing the MCC......

Other than that mine have been great.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Xbone controller hasn't seen much use outside of a few sessions of FarCry 4 on PC. So it's only got about 9 or 10 hours on it.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Day One controller has been a little wonky with the sticks (some drift on the right stick) since, well, Day One, but it's gotten a lot worse recently. I really should grab another and put it away. It's pretty irritating for any game with right stick camera control that you aren't constantly controlling. So for CoD it's actually not too bad most of the time, but for Dragon Age, yeesh, lots of suddenly looking at butts and sky/ceiling.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i treat both my controllers like garbage, have dropped them multiple times. they still run perfectly fine.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tavistavistavis

I actually feel like im having better luck with the xbone controllers than i did with 360 ones. I went through a good number of those, pretty much one a year. The only problem ive had with the xbone controller is sometimes it doesnt seem to notice that i plugged the mic in, so ill have to do it several times before its detected i guess? Its getting worn out. Ive felt cursed with bad controllers before, i feel your pain and hope your luck turns

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The right bumper on my launch controller is busted and will only actually read a click on it 1 in 20 times, but I ended up buying the blue camo one from best buy on black friday to replace it.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Never had a problem. An annoyingly loose bumper sure, but nothing broken.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I took my controllers with me in my backpack across the country, and my container of creatine exploded and got all up inside the controllers and they're a little janky now. But I kind of only have myself to blame there.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By winsord

The controller that came bundled with the console has a 'floaty' LB, as in it works but it's somewhat mushy and doesn't click like it's supposed to. The second controller I have, which I bought separately, its left analogue stick has a serious clicking problem. Pushing the analogue stick to the left makes it pop a little and causes an audible noise, and rotating the stick between west and north causes it to click. If I had to guess, the clip that holds the stick in place is either slightly broken or half-way popped out of its place on that side. So yes, disappointing for me that I'm now 2/2 on controller issues for the Xbox One, seeing as I've never had any problems with any of my controllers on any of my other consoles. I should add that I too take extremely good care of my belongings, and neither of the issues were a result of mistreatment, intentional or otherwise, as they both had their respective problems right out of the box.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

@skadave: I had something similar happen to one, it had so much drag I had to send it back, then another one that I admittedly chucked at the floor broke after just one time doing it, I literally never lost a 360 controller like that, after years of chucking them across the room a couple times a year after a frustrating multiplayer match.

They're not very tough.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have not had any issues with my launch controller. Though, my Xbox One isn't exactly my go-to console right now, no issues with my controller.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first batch of controllers seemed to have some manufacturing tolerance issues; loose casing and the not perfectly smooth stick motion others mentioned. All those issues seem to have been worked out since that first batch though. My Titanfall controller is near perfect. Problem is there still seems to be some of those first runs out there if you buy a standard black controller.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I spent a decent amount of time last night dissecting my controllers.

My Day One controller had a broken piece in the left thumb stick mechanism, it was a 1/8" grey square that held the left side of the stick in place. I ended up fixing it with a piece of cardboard (it works fine now).

My second controller had a loose thumb stick knob. . . I fixed it by applying some electrical tape to the shaft. That appears to have done the trick.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think both consoles are suffering from "lets make these comfortable" syndrome. Joypads were pretty much perfected. Sure, there are little size issues that Sony had to deal with, and everyone this round made the response time a few milliseconds faster, but really joypad close to optimum. So both companies tried to make the controllers just a bit more comfortable and just a bit easier to hold. They used more rubber and less hard plastics and different types of materials. In the end the controllers are nicer, but they are likely somewhat less durable.

I made a post a few months ago about some 3rd party making super premium joypad. These joypads would exactly duplicated the official pad in feel and weight, but would be made tougher. You would pay a premium for them but they just would be super tough using more precisely machined/polished titanium parts were the plastic pins, rockers, levers, and trigger were located. The shoulder buttons, sticks, buttons, USB ports would just not break or bend.

Hell, why say a 3rd party has to do it. Why not have MS and Sony make them. They can call them "Competition Level" and charge $200 for them. Same sensors just ruggedized, and with the basic moving parts done in high grade steel or titanium. The 'competition level' specs are important, they have to be LEGAL to use in tournaments without any extra sensitivity or improvements. In other words need to run stock while being better mechanically. And if you don't think normal people would buy a joypad that cost 3x as much you wrong, if it last 10x as long and is perceived as premium... people will want it. Hell I'd even say the profit margin on them woudl be huge maybe $3 extra in parts/labor/manufacturing but selling at three times the price.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would buy a $100 premium controller. . . $200? No.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

My XBone controller is less than a year old and i've noticed some looseness. Has led to some frustrating moments playing AC: Chronicles.

For $50 you would Microsoft could build a more durable controller.

Deanxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

​There are many discussions about the problems with the left thumb stick failure. If you play fifa nhl or madden be prepared to be buying a new controller every few months....no joke. Advice to you is buy the warranty. There should be a class action lawsuit brought against Microsoft. Now before all you idiots start commenting saying you dont take care of your controller or that you still have your original controller or your to rough on you're controller see other threads on the subject. It seems to be a problem with certain games as mentioned above. Left thumb will fail click grind and stick. I can screenshot anyone who disbelieves my bestbuy receipts. 8 controllers exchanged in last 6 months best warranty i ever bought. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a garbage product. Test the controller with the games mentioned above for a few months before you make a stupid comment on this thread. Thanks in advance

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.