Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One does NOT have fees relating to used games.

Starforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

This is from the "confirmed fee" thread. Xbox Support/Microsoft are aware of the articles and are trying have them removed as they are FALSE. Once again, they are FALSE. There is no fee to play used games. So, there you go, disaster adverted for now. Everyone can come out of their end of the world bunkers.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Actually, they haven't come out and say there won't be a fee, just that those articles are false.

Wait a while for when they fully announce how used games will be handled.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't really see how there can be a fee after the official support team clearly states that it is false. They're straight up telling us it is false and now people are saying "wait and see"?

lol

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By Soap
    Starforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soap: Uh, dude, they updated that article. They say it's been confirmed false too.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

I don't really see how there can be a fee after the official support team clearly states that it is false. They're straight up telling us it is false and now people are saying "wait and see"?

lol

They're saying the XBone will play used games and that they have a plan for used game sales and they will talk about it in the future. They haven't officially said there will or won't be a fee.

My guess, even though it requires games to be installed, you can play any game if you have the disc in without having to pay for that fee. For used games, you won't be able to play it without the disc unless you pay the fee, so as long as you keep the discs in you can play.

In other words, buying games new/paying the fee means you don't have to keep switching discs while buying them used means you have to switch them constantly.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Good to know.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

lol

They're saying the XBone will play used games and that they have a plan for used game sales and they will talk about it in the future. They haven't officially said there will or won't be a fee.

My guess, even though it requires games to be installed, you can play any game if you have the disc in without having to pay for that fee. For used games, you won't be able to play it without the disc unless you pay the fee, so as long as you keep the discs in you can play.

In other words, buying games new/paying the fee means you don't have to keep switching discs while buying them used means you have to switch them constantly.

So, in other words, exactly nothing had changed for the worse and really what they're doing is offering us more options?

Right now it is mandatory to have the disc in the console. With the One, if the original owner of the game can play the game without it in the drive, that's awesome. If we can give it to friends who can play the game for free while the disc is in the drive (exactly like how it currently is), that's awesome. If friends want to own the game for a fee to be able to play without the disc, that's also awesome.

It's really win-win all around.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

@soap: Uh, dude, they updated that article. They say it's been confirmed false too.

That was updated after I posted it. I still don't believe that twitter account though personally.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Actually, give this article a read.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

So you will have to activate games on any Xbox and pay the fee (the fee being the retail price the game is listed as) if the first use code is already used. So if you used your code on your Xbone and took it to a friend's house to play on his, he'll have to pay the full 60 bucks (if that is the current price of that game) just to play it, even though you have the disc.

There seems to be ways to trade online, so maybe you are selling/trading your 'code' and maybe there is a way to put the code back onto the disc if you trade it in physically

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEah but do not bring games to friends XD

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

So seems it is not account bound bbut hardware bound?

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Actually, give this article a read.

So you will have to activate games on any Xbox and pay the fee (the fee being the retail price the game is listed as) if the first use code is already used. So if you used your code on your Xbone and took it to a friend's house to play on his, he'll have to pay the full 60 bucks (if that is the current price of that game) just to play it, even though you have the disc.

There seems to be ways to trade online, so maybe you are selling/trading your 'code' and maybe there is a way to put the code back onto the disc if you trade it in physically

Gamefly is fucked.

Poor Vinny.

CosmoKramer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Correct me if I'm wrong but Microsoft did say that you would have to install any game in order to play it.

At this point, the best case scenario is that playing a game requires that it isn't currently installed on any other Xbox, otherwise you'd have to pay a fee to play it. Gamestop/any video game store would just have to check through Xbox Live if the game has been uninstalled before accepting the trade-in. I doubt the fee would be too close to the full retail price, if not, what's the point of the procedure when you could just as well buy the game?

But that would just be weird, right? It would bring nothing to publishers. However, for all we know, it may just be a practical workaround to ensure that everybody installs their games while preventing people to buy games, install them then sell them immediately. I'm sure having the guarantee that everybody will have your game installed on their system can somewhat be taken into account while developing and making a game better, which would make the platform more attractive for developers.

Actually, my little theory would work out if EA didn't get rid of online passes at the turn of this generation, why would they do this if that is all Microsoft has in store to protect their interests? Sadly, there probably is something fishy going on with used games, and all that twitter denying is most likely just PR damage control.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.