Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One Dropping Price to $349 Again

• 120 results
    nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't buy one in the last two weeks. Seems a little silly that they can't just admit that this is the new price for good.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By yukoasho

@nophilip said:

Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't buy one in the last two weeks. Seems a little silly that they can't just admit that this is the new price for good.

Pride goeth before a fall. Apparently it goeth after a fall as well, at least in this case.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I just don't like the Xbox dashboard. With every update they make it more focused on promotions/ads, and for some reason Microsoft thinks different coloured panels of varying sizes is the future and not confusing at all.

damptoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll wait until it's $5 on Steam.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That's good value, but without SF5... no dice.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho said:

I can only assume that, once the Xbone returned to $399/$499, the sales momentum from the holidays froze, while the PS4 kept going.

It's literally the only the only scenario where this makes any sense at all. The only other scenario is MS not knowing what the hell it's doing with the system anymore.

I love that they're competing, especially now that I have an Xbone courtesy of Black Friday/Christmas, but... Seriously, guys, this looks desperate.

That was my immediate thought, but it's only been two weeks, right? Not only do they probably not have figures for Sony's sales, they probably don't have solid figures for their own.

My guess is that they just got the numbers for December and were really impressed, or maybe the opposite, and decided to put it on sale again to continue riding the wave, or take another shot. Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't make this permanent. Maybe I'm way off.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What a shock, really...

BioStormX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maan, those sales must have screeched to a halt when the price jumped back up.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

Makes sense. The Xbone is still selling better than the 360 was at this point in its life-cycle, so it's not like the console is a failure. It's just the PS4 selling so damn well. I expect this to become permanent.

Haven't followed the Xbox One all that much, so I didn't know that. Although the PlayStation 4 has been selling like gangbusters, I figured that the XBone wasn't doing as bad as everyone made it out to be. Guess that, and this price drop, are good thing all around for us. I'm still waiting on getting either one for now, though.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

They claim it is temporary to make people think that they need to buy it now before the price increase. But how many temporary sales can you have before that is the new price?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

If you did buy one in the last two weeks, you can get it priced matched. Pretty much all the big retailers that would honor MS price drop would have Price Guarantees that will give you the difference if they have a sale or the price drops within 30 days of purchase.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhhh, do they really need to do this again?

Whatever the truth is, it looks bad, especially when PS4 is very close to hitting 20 million within the next few months.Follow the money...

still seems weird with the acutal offerings game-wise for ps4. guess a little good pr goes a long way. would have liked to see how things would've been different without the initial flubs by MS. so far they've had the clear edge with first party stuffs.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I picked up the Assassin Creed bundle plus one game during Microsoft's black Friday sale for $330. That UI is terrible. The Xbox One controller is the worst between the the DS3, DS4, Xbox 360, and Wii/Wii U pro controllers. I've barely played it, as even the Wii U is a better console in terms of games to play right now.

I'm not surprised they've continued this "promotion" since they do have the worst console of the three and need the price advantage to compete with the PS4 - and only $50 more than the Wii U.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Next step is that this becomes permanent.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This is great stuff it's just too bad there aren't any games out now, and not for a while. Seriously yesterday I sat down looking over release dates and there is not a single game I'm interested in until APRIL. My PS4 is going to be just sitting therefor the next 3 whole months doing nothing while I'll probably start filling in small chunks of time with Steam purchases.

I'd seriously think about getting an XB1 with this price, especially since I have my Christmas bonus still lying around, but then I'd just have two big boxes sitting around not doing anything.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NoneSun
    bogdan_vre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

skuupin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The DS4 is far and away better that the XB1 controller, so that's what I went with. Aside from D4 and the newly announced ODST there are no exclusives that would make me pick up a second system, even at the lower price.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their strategy is to not make it permanent so that people rush out and buy their consoles as soon as possible.

Unfortunately more money in microsoft's hand mean they will buy more exclusives and at a point I'll have to buy an Xbone myself...

I wish Microsoft never pulled their head out of their ass, it would make my life so much easier (and I'd have much more money)

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they permanently drop the price a little bit in the UK, then I might get one when some lovely, big exclusives start appearing. Having only just bought a PS4 though, that might be a while.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I'd have a reason to buy an Xbone or PS4 by now but nothing on either console has tempted me. Instead I bought a GTX 970 for the PC and picked up a Wii-u after Christmas.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft got feedback very quickly about what reverting to the higher price was doing to sales and the new special price is the new permanent price.

Rubyeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Takahashiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the ps4 outselling them it was obvious they would continue with the price drop.^^

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's temporary, then you have to rush out and get it. I'm sure it'll be "temporarily" $350 for a while.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No real interest in the console yet, but I'm glad they are being competitive.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80  Edited By notnert427

@yukoasho said:

I can only assume that, once the Xbone returned to $399/$499, the sales momentum from the holidays froze

I imagine that's exactly what happened. I still can't for the life of me understand why $50 is such a huge difference to people (for me that's a week of lunches, and you can still find bundle deals that make that up if you're savvy enough), but apparently it is. They made some huge strides in sales and won the 2014 holiday season by all accounts, and for them to go back to it so rapidly must mean sales took a nosedive once the end of the promotional price hit. At this point, they need to just keep it $349, if for perception alone. I absolutely love my Xbox One, but all this price-waffling is another PR misstep that probably turns some more people off of the console, and that's a damn shame.

As @kerafyrm mentioned, the Xbox One is the better console right now. It has more features, better first-party offerings, works consistently well, is stable and robust online, etc. And for all the (deserved) criticism Microsoft has gotten for their missteps with policies which led to changes to the X1, Sony has done pretty much nothing in the way of trying to make the PS4 better or more attractive at all. They've been perfectly content to sit idly by because they could afford to be, and that's a disservice to their own community. Meanwhile, though you'd never know it from the outside looking in thanks to the consistently awful PR surrounding it, MS has been working hard on the actual Xbox One itself, and it is at this point an absolutely kick-ass machine to have which only continues to get better and better. It has passed the PS4 in virtually every respect, save for the marginal/negligible difference in graphical power because the X1 diverts some system resources to do a ton of other cool shit. Again, though, this reality is lost among everyone pointing and laughing at the MS PR team for generally flailing about, and Sony is just presumed "better" by default, not for anything they're actually doing with the PS4.

I'm not even trying to go console war on the PS4, either. It's a great console that potentially could be fan-fucking-tastic, but Sony doesn't seem to give a shit about making it what it could be as long as it continues to sell. "Greatness Awaits" is the most fitting tagline ever, because greatness from the PS4 is absolutely possible and maybe even inevitable, but hasn't been realized yet over a year into the life of the console. If I owned a PS4 right now, the only thing I'd be able to take pride in is "hey, look at a few more blades of grass." WOOO! Granted, 2015 looks like a strong year for the PS4. If I'm being honest, their first-party offerings appear better this year. Provided some games like Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, Uncharted 4, and No Man's Sky deliver, there's a good chance that owning a PS4 will finally pay off for their community. The point is that as an Xbox One owner, I'm already there, whereas right now if I had a PS4, I'd still be waiting and hoping for the dividends from my investment.

Again, this could be a non-issue in several months if a few or all of the good-looking PS4 exclusives turn out well, and I think Sony (and the PS4 community) is absolutely counting on that. And if that happens, Sony will get away with a year-plus in which they were almost completely unresponsive and didn't really do much in reality to deserve all the console sales they got in my book. If you want to buy a console right now, get an Xbox One. It is presently awesome, and is a steal at $349. I'll get back to you on the PS4 later this year and may have a different recommendation when the PS4 may well be as good or better after their games arrive. Enough on that, though.

Don't buy into "desperate", "sad", or whatever other bullshit labels people want to throw at the Xbox One based on their busted-ass PR as if they're a valid indictment on the console itself. It's selling well overall, quite arguably deserves to be selling even better than it is, and probably would be if the PR wasn't such a dumpster fire. The console itself is great. At $349, it's well-worth it, and that seems to be the price point that people are much more willing to buy it at anyway. Here's hoping MS PR gets a clue and just keeps it $349 to get some more people to give it a chance, and maybe one day we'll actually see the console get judged on its merit instead of its marketing.

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Sunset Overdrive is real good if you're into that kinda game.

And there's always good ol' Halo.

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@personandstuff: They won in the United States, but overall worldwide they are lagging far being Sony. So while things are looking up for them in the US they have their work cut out in the rest of the world.

doomsder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By doomsder

@kerafyrm: lol is all I have to say to this post

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Neat. Whenever one console pulls ahead, they do some stupid stuff. Better for consumers when they slug it out. Like these semi-permanent price drops.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: A 50% difference in RAW GPU power isn't negligble and it surely amounts to more just a few blades of grass more. It amounts to better framerates on higher resolutions. A lot of indie developers have come out and say that they went PS4-exclusive since Microsoft's indie parity policy is preventing them from doing staggered releases. The last 6 months 47 indie games are NOT launching on Xbox One but on PS4 instead. How on earth does it makes XB1's lineup any better? By offering less choice?

I have neither of the consoles so I really have to stake in this.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I kind of feel bad for Microsoft's Xbox division. They're going to turn into RIM.

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By NeoAthanasius

@notnert427: I see people stating that the Xbox One library is so much better than the PS4...but what is this based on? While it seems like the current slate of Xbox One exclusives is better than PS4, I can't think of a single game that is a really huge mass-market appealing title. Halo might be that game, but currently there is only a remastered collection out. I think that the price drop mixed with bundles of very popular 3rd party games had far more to do with the holiday sales of the Xbox than its exclusives did. I for one am holding out for a sweet Halo 5 bundle at the end of the year! That is the game for me!

I think it's great that Microsoft has turned its sales around in NA. It will be interesting to see if they can take on the Sony stronghold of Europe.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Since Mr. Softy nuked my 360 game collection by not offering backwards compatibility, I never bought an Xbone. I've pretty much moved back to PC gaming & see no reason to ever own a console again, unless I feel like throwing my money away.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean that that high profile game that released with broken online and flakey single player glitches? Gamers always look forward to that. :)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@extomar said:
    @uninvincible said:

You mean that that high profile game that released with broken online and flakey single player glitches? Gamers always look forward to that. :)

Eh, even if it worked I never really liked Halo. I think you kind of had to grow up on it or something as I never understood what the fuss was about it. Last generation I loved my 360 but apart from like Gears which I liked but didn't necessarily love, I can't really think of any first party exclusives I enjoyed from that console.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii u comin up from behind fuqqas

mess w/the king you best not miss

etc.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is one small step toward that $199 sweet spot that I think this console has in value right now :)

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#95  Edited By Sergio

@uninvincible said:

I picked up Sunset Overdrive as my free game. It's kind of a meh game, but I'm at the beginning. I'm hoping it becomes an above average game.

@notnert427: The "more features" are basically two things I can do without and don't even use on my Xbox One. Preferences over exclusive titles are always subjective. I have two Xbox One exclusives that I was interested in, and one of them is meh as I said above. About the only thing I could agree with is that Xbox Live is more stable than the Playstation Network. Luckily for me, I don't play online as much as other people do.

While I do think my PS4 is better than my Xbox One, my Wii U is better than both of them, combined. I don't think either of the two consoles have fully delivered on their potential.

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been said about this site before, but I just wanted to drop in to say that I appreciate that news stories like this give all the information that we need right in the title and subtitle on the front page. That's some efficient writing that serves the readers.

Avatar image for deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154
    deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough games on either console for me to buy one yet. I'll probably just get a new video card this year and focus on finishing the games on my Steam backlog.

thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That furniture store downtown is going out of business AGAIN. I'd better get down there for some deals!

Epsilon82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeirus said:

I can't believe I'm saying this... but the WiiU is by far and away the better console right now.

Completely agreed. Especially if you also have a PC, the Wii U is the best console to own by a LONG shot at this point. I'm frankly shocked that at this point I'd rate the consoles in terms of present value 1) Wii U, 2) XBone, 3) PS4. I tend to have higher long-term hopes for the PS4, but right now there's just not much out there other than occasional marginally superior multiplats that still get curb-stomped by a modest PC.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On top of that, you don't even need to buy the surveillance camera!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.