Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

XOne will only work in these Countries at launch (1.5mbps)

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Luckily for those that live outside the "green zone" there is an alternative, its called the Xbox 360.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By EXTomar

Actually after thinking about this and how Windows 8 went, this is totally typical. MSDN and TechNet subscribers where giving a lot of feed back saying "These things aren't working quite right" or "This feature is confusing" or even "If this is their release candidate then this is going to be a disaster!" but Microsoft went through and release it with only minor tweaks to help files. Afterwards they were shocked by the public response matched their RC feedback.

This means that the upper levels don't care or really do believe that their ideas are "the new shiznit!" regardless of how strenuously their "friendly alies" point out the problems.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder if we'll be looking back at the Xbone as the greatest blunder in gaming history?

Nah, they'll be fine. Microsoft owns half the world as it is.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By FlipperDesert

Jesus, they are living in a dream world.

@extomar said:

Actually after thinking about this and how Windows 8 went, this is totally typical. MSDN and TechNet subscribers where giving a lot of feed back saying "These things aren't working quite right" or "This feature is confusing" or even "If this is their release candidate then this is going to be a disaster!" but Microsoft went through and release it with only minor tweaks to help files. Afterwards they were shocked by the public response matched their RC feedback.

This means that the upper levels don't care or really do believe that their ideas are "the new shiznit!" regardless of how strenuously their "friendly alies" point out the problems.

Yeah, this is increasingly reminding me of how the Windows 8 release went, it's all well and good having authorial intent but it's baffling how self-destructive they're being.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Wuddel

This is total insanity. The omission of the eastern part of Central Europe and high population countries like Turkey is especially strange. Not to speak of Asia. Well. The european front in the console wars goes to Sony. Then again it did this generation as well.

thevector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

So they've completely given up on Japan?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Are they even interested in markets outside of the US? Also why do you need 1,5 mbps for a simple 'check-in'... //alu-head on: Kinect needs a good connection to send those recordings of you masturbating to the NSA.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel: The 1.5mbps are need to let the cloud system work properly. They are still sending data over form your device to the servers which than send data back all the time. It is like watching some stream. You need a certain speed to maintain a flawless experience.

@bigjeffrey: That is not the point. People need to know about this.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This list seems most likely a 2013 focused release plan; to release in the most accessible countries first, then I suspect more countries will be added come 2014. It's a bit sensationalist if you ask me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@winsord said:

@winternet: Not without the use of a VPN (which is against the ToS), no.

Pretty unenforceable though in practice. And almost certainly not legally enforceable in the EU. If they tried to take action against people for doing it (banning accounts or whatever), they'd get their ass handed to them if it ever went to court.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@crusader8463 said:

@darji: Oh god the console war crap is going to start again isn't it? Time to log off the forums for a few years I guess.

There was always console wars. But it just showed Microsoft'ss way of thinking right now. Microsoft needs to be stopped no matter what. And by the looks of it they will somehow through European laws. I can not imagine how this is actual legal.

I know how to stop them: I'll not buy their product. As a consumer who hasn't purchased an Xbox One and an investor who hasn't invested in Microsoft, that's logically and morally as far as my control over them extends.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By Jeust

They got spain but not Portugal ?

Apparently not. Microsoft made an easy decision easier. That's good considering their push into complicating everything they touch: Windows 8, Xbox One, second-hand market, lending games...

Bye Microsoft! Let's us both part ways amicably.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this is just crazy. It seems like there just gonna focus on places where the Xbox did well and forget about all of the other places were it didn't. The problem with that is that the places that they are ignoring are emerging markets that they could see growth in were as the western markets they are focused on aren't as likely to see growth especially considering how controversial the reveal has been about the Xbox. Its like there not even trying to compete in those markets anymore and are saying "fuck it, sony you can have it" which is just crazy to me.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Even if I'm in the green zone; I still think this is really bad. I'm actually kind of shocked about it and how much of the world would be left out of not just the whole Xbox Live thing but the whole Xbox One console.

And 187 Kilobytes Per Second is a little weird. That's like half of some people's bandwidth today. What kind of data are they actually sending? That's enough for a super low-quality stream of video and audio, actually.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#65  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm sure they've done the math.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: That link doesn't show anything new, the list is of Xbox on Xbox live supported countries, which is not the same as saying you are only allowed to use it there.

The paragraph about authorised resale/activation just means it's region locked, which we already knew.

I really wish people would stop digging around for half a reason to blow something out of proportion and mark MS as Satan. They're doing a good enough job of that themselves.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Who fucking cares if it's copy pasted. Not everyone reads neoGAF.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Jeff's been saying - it's all just a math problem to them. I don't support it, but that's what it comes down to. I hope it bites them in the ass, but I hope it doesn't hurt them so badly to the point of putting them out of the console race in the future either.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By Shivoa

@darji said:

@crusader8463 said:

@darji: Oh god the console war crap is going to start again isn't it? Time to log off the forums for a few years I guess.

There was always console wars. But it just showed Microsoft'ss way of thinking right now. Microsoft needs to be stopped no matter what. And by the looks of it they will somehow through European laws. I can not imagine how this is actual legal.

I know how to stop them: I'll not buy their product. As a consumer who hasn't purchased an Xbox One and an investor who hasn't invested in Microsoft, that's logically and morally as far as my control over them extends.

Yep, can't spread the word and help explain to users why the loss of their rights and shady practices is a bad thing, that's not a logical or moral course of action. Can't asks questions about the legality of dictated terms. Speech as solely a financial ability to choose where to spend your money is a viewpoint created by people who spend a lot of their money on convincing people to do what isn't in their best interest.

Copyright is an exclusivity agreement for duplication of a work given by a government under certain restrictions. If publishers or platform holders aren't going to respect fair use or first-sale doctrine then they may not be complying with their end of copyright. There are good questions about how the restriction of primary functionality extends to the Internal Market (that free-market capitalist ideal of unimpaired movement of goods, services, and people throughout Europe and 3 non EU-states). It may be a matter for the courts, protecting the free movement of goods and services rather than something the marketplace / purchasing decisions decide.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured my third world country wouldn't be there... oh well, I wasn't going to buy one either way.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Nictel

@darji: How do you mean? That suggest you need permanent internet connection. Which you don't, you need to check in once every 24 hours. You don't need 1,5mbps for that. Heck it doesn't even have to be that stable.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@darji: How do you mean? That suggest you need permanent internet connection. Which you don't, you need to check in once every 24 hours. You don't need 1,5mbps for that. Heck it doesn't even have to be that stable.

You need that connection so the whole cloud stuff can work so if a game uses cloud tech like Forza you need these 1.5 mbps. The cloud stuff does not work offline.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Wait, do they really block all IPs outside of this list? So if I buy an XONE made for the U.S. region and bring it to my country of Barbados (in the Caribbean) does that mean I cannot use it at all? 'Cus that sounds shitty as fuck!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Darji

@cheapandtacky said:

@darji: That link doesn't show anything new, the list is of Xbox on Xbox live supported countries, which is not the same as saying you are only allowed to use it there.

The paragraph about authorised resale/activation just means it's region locked, which we already knew.

I really wish people would stop digging around for half a reason to blow something out of proportion and mark MS as Satan. They're doing a good enough job of that themselves.

No it is not like that. You can still play online on a 360 if you live in China with an asia account. This is a whole different level. They are straight out saying that if you not live in these countries games will not be working This is a lock based on the country you live in. If you do not live in these countries these games will not activate so you can not play them.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mandude

EDIT: Nevermind, I wont try to salvage this; it's fucking dreadful.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tearhead said:

Wait, do they really block all IPs outside of this list? So if I buy an XONE made for the U.S. region and bring it to my country of Barbados (in the Caribbean) does that mean I cannot use it at all? 'Cus that sounds shitty as fuck!

That is exactly what it means.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

We know that the Xboxes were never popular in Asia, but Christ Microsoft, really?

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Jace

There isn't a console "war" this generation. Sony is just brutalizing the Xbox, plain and simple.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Nictel

@darji: I understand that :). But I just wonder, if I'm not interested in drivatar. Can I play Forza offline? Also the cloud is seriously overrated. It is actually really hard to do any meaningful realtime calculations via cloud. So is this going to be a case of sim city where they pretend the cloud is necessary?..

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@darji: Dude there's still a shit ton of people that use DSL as well in the U.S. that don't have a 1.5 mbps connection. People in areas where ATT or Time Warner haven't laid down any fiber op wiring yet.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel: You cannot play games unless you're connected to the internet. Don't let that once a day shit detract you from the fact that it is an always on console.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Dude there's still a shit ton of people that use DSL as well in the U.S. that don't have a 1.5 mbps connection. People in areas where ATT or Time Warner haven't laid down any fiber op wiring yet.

Tell that Microsoft not me.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kpaadet said:

Luckily for those that live outside the "green zone" there is an alternative, its called the Xbox 360.

You mean the PS4? lol

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Holy shit Microsoft.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Zlimness

@9cupsoftea said:

No poland or ukraine - the witcher 3 devs won't even be able to play their own game!

Well, there's still a way to play Witcher 3... *cough* PC. Still that's just messed up.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see how this will all shake out a year or so from now so badly. I wonder if Don Mattrick's career arc is going to look something like Ken Kutaragi's.

Ketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is it even possible to fuck up so badly?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see how this will all shake out a year or so from now so badly. I wonder if Don Mattrick's career arc is going to look something like Ken Kutaragi's.

US companies are not as "nice" as Japanese ones. In Japan they transfer you in the west they fire you.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

This massive bloc, that's a mis-step, also Asia could have been cracked if they kept at it.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zlimness said:

@9cupsoftea said:

No poland or ukraine - the witcher 3 devs won't even be able to play their own game!

Well, there's still a way to play Witcher 3... *cough* PC. Still that's just messed up.

. Oh I didn't even think of that! That's terrible.. Wonder what they think of that, gonna tweet them about it.

@nictel: You cannot play games unless you're connected to the internet. Don't let that once a day shit detract you from the fact that it is an always on console.

Really?! Is that something your gut tells you or is that actually based on some facts?

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Japan isn't buying an American video game console any time soon. I'm sure MS isn't interested in losing money there like they have for the past decade.

I'm not sure how big the video game market is in China and India, but I don't believe it's significant at all (low disposable income).

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

You know I wonder if this is because they really are serious about all of the cloud computing stuff.

These might be the countries with low enough ping times to MS servers to make their cloud computing plans possible. It also makes sense with their minimum bandwidth requirement.

It still think it's a little bit crazy. Just saying their may be a reason behind some of the madness.

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Dot

Oooh Microsoft, when will you learn?

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By superfriend

Yo, this shit is insane. I live in Germany, in a fairly developed region of Germany, I might add.. yet, we don´t have 1,5Mbps Internet here. Maybe in the bigger towns/cities, but it really depends on your provider (meaning: they are not at all reliable in my experience)

Well, guess I hope Halo 5 won´t be good?! Cause I sure as hell won´t be playing it.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By jdh5153

@dot said:

What you really mean, is "rest of the world, when will you learn". Get with the times. Microsoft is doing a great thing here, they're going to ensure the best possible experience instead of wasting time and money trying to make it work on shitty internet connections.

Minos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Minos

There are parts of Europe that are not covered (Portugal). All of southamerica except Brazil isn't covered. And ABSOLUTELY NO Central American countries covered. Jesus Christ!!!!

Map of where the Xbox One will and won't work at launch:

No Caption Provided

The hits, they just keep coming.

Pachtar_Klepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

@dot said:

What you really mean, is "rest of the world, when will you learn". Get with the times. Microsoft is doing a great thing here, they're going to ensure the best possible experience instead of wasting time and money trying to make it work on shitty internet connections.

This post again.... LOL

Give it up, bro. You're Xbox 360 blog is fucked.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By jimmyfenix

@jdh5153 said:

@dot said:

You really set your self up for the hate dude

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

@dot said:

You know the world is bigger than MS, right? If MS is targeting a broad audience, they are obviously missing it somehow. Instead of forcing this kind of thing, why not ease it in?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

@dot said:

You know the world is bigger than MS, right? If MS is targeting a broad audience, they are obviously missing it somehow. Instead of forcing this kind of thing, why not ease it in?

He's a troll. Ignore him. He's got pages of posts masturbating Microsoft and saying they are right about everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.