Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 05, 2016

The aliens have won and the remnants of XCOM must strike to take back the Earth in this sequel to Firaxis' 2012 reboot.

Anyone else having horrible issues during cut scenes?

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

So the game runs totally fine on my gaming PC when I'm actually playing the game part, but during all of the little cut scenes the game has, my audio quickly devolves from occasional static and clipping to a full on inception noise "BWAHHHH" and the video typically freezes up around halfway through.

Then the game will eventually end up going back to the game part and be clippy for a second and then return back to normal.

I've seen people experienced this issue with the previous games, but I had no issues with the past ones.

Anyone else having this or better yet have a solution?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

This game is just all over the place technically. I think the cutscenes are the one time I'm not having weird issues.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im downloading it now. Hopefully it won't be too rough for me. I'll let y'all know. I got an AMD exclusive set up. We'll see.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Maluvin

@mike said:

This game is just all over the place technically. I think the cutscenes are the one time I'm not having weird issues.

Same here.

Edit: this was on my lower performing machine. I'll have time to play on beefier hardware today so will be interesting to compare the two experiences.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I have a pretty old/weak computer and I can run the gameplay silky smooth at high but OH GOD. The cutscenes are a hilarious slideshow for me.

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm basically to the point where I have to decide if I want to just enjoy the gameplay and miss some cool story bits until they patch it, or wait and not play it.

Time is valuable though and I already set aside some to play tonight so really lame when shit doesn't work like it's supposed to.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I posted this in another thread on here too, but yeah, the cutscenes are all sorts of wonky. MSI Afterburner is telling me that the game stresses my first CPU core to 100% during these scenes, while leaving the other three cores doing almost nothing. I've tried changing up the priority and the CPU affinity using the task manager, but so far I've had zero luck trying to mitigate this issue.

It gets worse the longer a cutscene is too, to the point where the longer ones will eventually drop down to 0 fps and I will just be looking at a stillshot while the garbled and stuttery audio still plays. For now I've resorted to hitting escape the moment a cutscene starts (which in the early game is just about every 10 seconds it seems), because otherwise it will inevitably grind the whole game down to a halt.

I want to love this game, but it doesn't seem to want to love me back... such a shame.

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colony024: That is exactly what's happening to me.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The game runs pretty well on my machine, but the cut scenes suffer from terrible A/V sync.

I thought it was just bad lip sync at first, but it became apparent that all sound was either lagging or racing (the Speaker banging his podium was a stone cold giveaway).

I'm here for the tactical battles against aliens, but it would be nice if they smoothed that out with a patch or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yep it runs like garbage for me as well. Particularly the cutscenes, action cam, and zooming in/out of the map.

Did any of the reviews mention performance at all? I feel like everybody was taken by surprise with how poor this game is running.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the first time I launched it. Locked up when I was moving the camera mid tutorial dialog pop up...

..then I turned off cloud saving (cause that was an issue in either EW or Long war) and set the whole thing to 'Low' and, poof, it runs just fine.

Its x-com..who gives a crap about how this game looks, if it runs? They will release a patch to fix this stuff I am sure but just trying turning every single option to minimum (and turn off cloud saving, cross your fingers that's the trick for something) and..enjoy the gameplay? Heck, the game looks fine at that level. Ps3 vs ps4..which is fine with me!

Might not work for everyone, I'm personally running a 960..on a 2010 CPU with 8mb memory (of..whatever the last ,or even last last generation of memory was). So..unless its a graphics card issue, doing the above seems to solve any CPU level issues..given I've got to be in the 'lower 15-20% for that category.

Hope that helps someone.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just my imagination, or did they sneak out a stealth hotfix of some kind? For some strange reason the 100% CPU issues I mentioned before are no longer happening. Steam never notified me of an update, nor did I change anything else on my end (no new drivers, ini tweaks or anything else changed since last time I played), and yet today the cutscenes all played more or less fine. Sure they still vary from roughly 25-30fps, but core 1 is no longer being pushed to its max (though it's still doing way more work than the other 3), and the cutscenes no longer grind to a complete halt. Curiouser and curiouser.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I was getting long pauses and hitches during transitional scenes on The Avenger and when dropping into missions. I popped into the settings menu and found the game had defaulted to 8xMSAA and Max settings for everything. I think the game might overestimate what your PC can run. I dropped down to 4x and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, cuz the cutscenes are the only part of the game that run seamlessly for me!

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Czarpyotr

@colony024 : Yeah that definitely seems to be the case for me. The game still doesn't run great and hitches during loads but the cut scenes have been making it through now so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.