Follow

XCOM 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 05, 2016

The aliens have won and the remnants of XCOM must strike to take back the Earth in this sequel to Firaxis' 2012 reboot.

I'm getting my butt wooped on my first real mission, and it's awesome *minor early spoilers*

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bombedyermom

On the first mission after the opening sequence, where you have to reach the power source before it detonates and kill all aliens. Attempting my 4th run, but I keep getting absolutely ganked by that sectoid. Playing on commander difficulty (classic equivalent I think?).

Oddly enjoying how badly I'm doing, as someone who's played through Long War many times.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

yeah, considering the briefing says that missions is easy, it's HARD

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I wiped on my first mission, too. Two soldiers got panicked in the first round, activated a second group of bad guys, and that was it. I also really screwed up the initial ambush, so I probably deserved to fail.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: yeah I totally botched the concealment mechanic my first try. Had a group of advent wander over with a flanking position on my concealed Ranger. They auto attack when they discover you flanked. It ended poorly.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@mike: @tajasaurus: what difficulty are you playing on? I'm downloading the game now and trying to decide how I should start off. Have played 100s of hours of XCOM but I've never tried the hardest diff in that game. Can you change difficulty after starting at all?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: I tried Commander but restarted on Veteran, which is the second lowest difficulty. I still failed the first mission twice on Veteran, and then lost two out of four on the third and successful attempt. I just kept missing and getting panicked. You can change the difficulty at any time.

For reference, I usually played EW on Classic and I recently did a run through and completed the game on Classic Ironman as well as did a good portion of the Long War campaign.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: i'm only playing on veteran as well

the mission after was also reasonably difficult, but it wasn't the same punch in the face that the first one was. there doesn't seem to be that same difficulty ramp that the first game did. you're just kinda in the shit

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tajasaurus: @mike: thanks for the responses! And wow, this definitely sounds a step (or two) up from EU/EW. That's very exciting actually. I felt after so many runs that XCOM's pacing was such that my tensest, most fun/dire hours were in the middle/early-middle of the game for me. Will be curious to hear, after everyone gets more time in the game, how the difficulty lasts over time.

Man! Can't wait.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: I've heard the difficulty curve is improved in XCOM 2. I do agree that EU was almost too difficult in the beginning and then got easy at the end, though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Good scuttlebutt! Definitely hope that is the case.

Yeah, EU had a disappointing last quarter for me. I've only beat that game one time as in all my successive runs I would bail once the game got too easy and just restart. EW I felt was better about this, especially the missions versus the human-type enemies (EXILE? or something like that). The expanded game options helped too.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow, i was thinking the game was unlocked but i guess i'd need to get a vpn to play which I'm still unsure about doing as i have to much money invested on steam atm. This thread got my blood pressure up lol

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing commander and I'm having to resort to minor save scumming till I get the hang of the mechanics, then I'll restart on normal with self-imposed ironman, because unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be the option for it.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I played on Veteran and that first mission went pretty smoothly (1 gravely wounded and everyone else promoted). I think it is harder than it's made out to be since that timer is pretty unforgiving and there's no real warning about how quickly you have to get to it. I know it says you have 10 turns but that seems like ages when actually you really have to haul ass up to it since there are guys to take out before and after hacking it.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkertr77: I only had 8 turns, likely it decreases with difficulty

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm gonna jump straight in to Commander Ironman, fully expecting to probably end up restarting a dozen times. I love how brutal XCOM is.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@bombedyermom: Jeez 8 turns is no joke since you're trying to move up without running directly to your death.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That mission bummed me out a bit. I got to the thing and did the download which then gave me the objective to neutralize all enemies. I had 2 squad members dead and 1 mind controlled at that point versus a sectoid and 2 advent soldiers. I knew my chances were slim so I called for a skyranger evac, thinking I got the primary mission objective. After 3 more harrowing turns trying to keep my soldiers alive and non-mind controlled I managed to evacuate my 2 squad members. What's my reward for such a fun and harrowing mission where I felt like I got the primary objective? Critcal mission failure. Only option is to reload a saved game or restart mission. I can't even go back and lick my wounds and maybe bring back a more experienced crew. The mission was just a complete waste of time.

If I was playing Ironman would my game be completely over already? Since I'm assuming the mission is a story critical mission the final objective of neutralize all enemies has to be done, but it really would have been nice if they had allowed for partial mission success here. The immersion of my playthrough is already busted, the characters who died are now back at the start of the mission. I really hope there aren't a lot of fail states that only allow for reloads or restarting missions.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on veteran, I set up shop near the core, tossed out a grenade + overwatch and the first two pods were down in a jiff. On the back up units my second grenade bugged out and did zero damage even though there were 2 units in range. So one unit ended up dying because of that. After that my third grenade actually hit, paired with vehicles explosions, all I had left was clean up duty.

I'm going for armor first though since it seams the regular soldiers are glass cannons, with low life but way too good accuracy and damage. I feel like AoE damage is going to be a theme of this game. Double grenadiers with a sniper and charger seam the way to go so far.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 1st mission is nightmare! I've wiped 3 times, love it :)

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing ironman is rough. Lost 2 on each of the first 2 missions, was down to 5 soldiers total, 2 wounded. Suddenly got reinforcements from winning the signal mission, was the best feeling ever. Rookies are much less survivable in this game, probably to make you feel more like a weak resistance, but once you start getting some higher ranked dudes with more health it quickly starts to feel like Xcom 1 again in terms of difficulty. Really liking it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to jump in here fast and say

a) got wiped on that 1st mission during the Alien's first move. Yes, this was *incredibly* hilarious and appropriate.

b) the second time around those bastards got got, barely took a hit.

c) I love you XCOM. so happy we are back 2 gether

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on the default and lost 2 soliders. RIP solid snake, died because I got no indication the truck was going to explode(thought it was already on fire when the game started but I may have thrown a grenade earlier lol). And RIP Austin Walker, my bad dog I had no idea the slash move from my mind controlled ranger would one shot you. :-(

I forgot to do ironman, but I don't plan on save scumming unless I lose to glitches.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

...I got an excellent rating on my first go at that mission. Playing on Veteran. Maybe I'm just lucky.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow I managed to beat that mission first try on commander with no casualties, then on the second mission I got my ass handed to me several times and decided to lower to veteran...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.