Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 05, 2016

The aliens have won and the remnants of XCOM must strike to take back the Earth in this sequel to Firaxis' 2012 reboot.

Is this game a beast to run?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Recently beat XCOM: EU and despite coming away w/ major complaints, pretty much loved it. Naturally I've been eyeing this ever since but I played EU on the PS3 and got so sick of the awful performance so I want to play this on the PC.

My comp is 3.5 Ghz i7, 16GB, GeForce GTX 780M 4GB. There is a pretty sick deal. (Sign up for 1 month Humble Monthly for $12 and get XCOM 2)

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Oh that will run fine. It certainly is a bit more to run than classic EU, but it is no hog from what I've experienced.
    Just a word of warning: it gets hard RIGHT out of the gate.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Here's a list of benchmarks: http://www.notebookcheck.net/XCOM-2-Notebook-Benchmarks.159058.0.html

The 780M isn't on there but the 870M is about equivalent, right? I think? Anyway, looks like you should be able to play it OK.

Still, I remember this thing launching and basically everyone complaining about framerates. It wasn't particularly well-optimized then. I actually haven't played it since so I can't speak to any potential improvements the devs may have implemented, though.

But hey, it's a Steam game, if you find performance in the first two hours of play or two weeks of ownership unsatisfactory, you can get a refund.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I can say it runs fine on my machine all maxed out, and i'm just running a i7 950, 12 GB of RAM, and a nvidia 960, which is not nearly as good as the hardware he has. I think they've patched the crap out of it since.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By liquiddragon

@driadon: well, the 780m is a mobile chip so I think it's way lower spec than your 960. I'm reading the game is really GPU depended so I'm looking at low setting. Thanks guys, I'm gonna sleep on it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By OurSin_360

I ran it on a 980 with an i5 6600k, and when i played it it did have occasional stutters and frame drops, but so did the first game actually(same set up). But yeah i would look up some benchmarks and check minimum specs and make sure it runs (if not steam does have a refund policy *edit missed the humble deal, not sure about their policy but 12 bux is steal).

It's a great game so I highly recommend it, however watch the mods too many can cause issues (at least back when i played it).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@driadon: well, the 780m is a mobile chip so I think it's way lower spec than your 960. I'm reading the game is really GPU depended so I'm looking at low setting. Thanks guys, I'm gonna sleep on it.

Wait, it's only $12? I didn't quite catch that part the first time I read this. I'd say go ahead and get it for that and if you don't get to play it now, you will at some point in the future.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: It looks like you are right. I wasn't expecting such a big dive for the 'm' variant on that card. :/

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

@justin258: yeah man, it's a steal!

@driadon: yeah :'( I like to catch up on last gen games and indie games which it's perfectly fine with but I've been scared to try any current gen games. I've pretty much stuck w/ the PS4 for those.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.