Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Enemies literally coming out of nowhere

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MiniPato

So I just started a classic ironman game and was doing pretty well. Then I got to an abduction mission and things were going well in the beginning. Stacked my dudes up getting ready to breach a building. Caught 3 sectoids by surprise, moved my soldiers in and killed 2 of them. One of my guys was in full cover next to a wall. Then out of the fucking blue, or out of the wall next to my guy, came 2 floaters from out of nowhere. There wasn't any darkness concealing them, there were no windows, no skylights, no second floor. Either they spawned out of nowhere, or they were outside the building and clipped through the walls. They killed 2 soldiers, one rookie and one lieutenant. I managed to complete the mission with my remaining two soldiers, luckily. But I thought what happened was just pure bullshit. It wasn't me being careless or impatient, it was just the game shitting itself and screwing me over in the process. This happened to me twice before in my normal game. A goddamn sectopod spawned out of nowhere in a small power core room in a medium sized scout UFO.

So what I want to know is,is this some kind of feature that the game failed to tell me about? That enemies can just spawn or clip through walls and floors? And has this happened to anyone else?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

@MiniPato: I don't know the specifics of it, but Floaters specifically seem to have this ability to teleport around (though at the end of their turn; they can't shoot afterwards). They fly straight up, then suddenly appear farther away.

Are you sure it isn't possible that the Floaters were just above you and out of line of sight, and then they flew down to the area you were in? Most rooms in abduction missions have windows and doors everywhere.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MiniPato

@BisonHero said:

@MiniPato: I don't know the specifics of it, but Floaters specifically seem to have this ability to teleport around (though at the end of their turn; they can't shoot afterwards). They fly straight up, then suddenly appear farther away.

Are you sure it isn't possible that the Floaters were just above you and out of line of sight, and then they flew down to the area you were in? Most rooms in abduction missions have windows and doors everywhere.

I'm very sure. When that shit happened, I scrolled up to see if there were any windows on the roof, and there weren't. No second floor with any windows and no doors opened up. They spawned right in my guy's face through the wall he was taking cover next to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this happen just last night. Everyone had one hit left, I was being super slow with my movement and two Mutons were in the room ahead of me. One of them had three life left. I overwatched everyone, killed the second Muton and all of a sudden the Muton with three life left was in the middle of my all overwatched group. Now tell me how that happened, not only to move from another room I had all eyes on but to avoid any overwatch shot.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThunderSlash

I've had this happen a couple of times too. In the very first mission I had my dudes all camped out at the starting area with overwatch, and a group of three sectoids spawned in between them. It triggered the little "pose" cutscene that happens whenever you discover a new group in a map. Luckily my guys reaction fired them all.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scrawnto

It definitely happens, and it's almost certainly a bug. It's annoying, but so far it hasn't totally screwed me yet. I had a cyberdisc and two groups of floaters pop in right next to my sniper who was hanging out on a roof with long lines of sight. There's no way those enemies sneaked up on him. Fortunately, he had the opportunity to jump down and take cover.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT

I've noticed an enemy seemingly noclip through a ceiling to get to the roof where there wasn't any damage. I've also seen an enemy move above me and somehow be out of sight (we were both outside on a roof). Both cases were with Cyberdiscs.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Xeiphyer

Ive had a Cyberdisc appear right in the middle of my troops out of nowhere, also plenty of cases of enemies being able to poof up through the roof of a building to get on top of it, without there being any windows.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zaccheus

Yeah this happens and is most likely a bug.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Terramagi

The game's broken to the point of being completely unplayable. The shot percentages literally lie to you to the point where 100% shots miss, entire groups of enemies can spawn in plain sight (and attack instantly, doubtlessly killing at least 2 or 3 people due to their "flanking manoevre"), and line of sight means absolutely nothing - I've had enemies shoot me through 3 sets of walls. Oh, and when flying enemies move, they have fucking noclip. Geometry means NOTHING.

The game isn't "tough but fair". It has the exact same failings all of Firaxis' games have, and unfortunately for them this isn't the 90s - having the computer outright and blatantly cheat CONSTANTLY is not acceptable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Terramagi said:

The game's broken to the point of being completely unplayable. The shot percentages literally lie to you to the point where 100% shots miss, entire groups of enemies can spawn in plain sight (and attack instantly, doubtlessly killing at least 2 or 3 people due to their "flanking manoevre"), and line of sight means absolutely nothing - I've had enemies shoot me through 3 sets of walls. Oh, and when flying enemies move, they have fucking noclip. Geometry means NOTHING.

The game isn't "tough but fair". It has the exact same failings all of Firaxis' games have, and unfortunately for them this isn't the 90s - having the computer outright and blatantly cheat CONSTANTLY is not acceptable.

Unplayable? I think that's an exaggeration. Especially due to the fact that you went in this game with beyond high standards and expectations (due to your obvious dislike of Firaxis with your little ending complaint). There are a few glitches here and there but that happens. The game is still highly playable.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Terramagi

@EveretteScott said:

@Terramagi said:

Unplayable? I think that's an exaggeration. Especially due to the fact that you went in this game with beyond high standards and expectations (due to your obvious dislike of Firaxis with your little ending complaint). There are a few glitches here and there but that happens. The game is still highly playable.

The game literally locks up if you hit two Mutons with a rocket and they both use Intimidate. Every single thing I typed out happens CONSTANTLY. You can barely get through a mission without SOMEBODY embedding themselves in the ceiling, becoming completely untargettable, and shooting all your guys from across the map.

This isn't a small indie production. They're charging full retail price for a game that couldn't even figure out a way to have your camera not become lodged in the roof of every large class spaceship.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rolanthas

@Terramagi said:

...couldn't even figure out a way to have your camera not become lodged in the roof of every large class spaceship.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm so glad this doesn't only happen to me.

Enjoying the game very much so far ( 9 hours in ), but it's certainly buggy, and most of these bugs cost you dearly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Terramagi: Hate to say it but none of those things have happened to me nor are things like them have happened to me. Especially the Muton thing, hasn't happened. Glitches and various bugs, but nothing to the extreme that you're describing. Either you got a broke ass version or....

Though I know how you feel. Not everyone gets the same glitches/bugs that someone else does. Me for instance, The Walking Dead, all but episode 1 is totally broken, as in not loading, not playable and when it does my choices don't follow yet not everyone is having those problems.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By TheHT

@Terramagi said:

@EveretteScott said:

@Terramagi said:

The game literally locks up if you hit two Mutons with a rocket and they both use Intimidate. Every single thing I typed out happens CONSTANTLY. You can barely get through a mission without SOMEBODY embedding themselves in the ceiling, becoming completely untargettable, and shooting all your guys from across the map.

This isn't a small indie production. They're charging full retail price for a game that couldn't even figure out a way to have your camera not become lodged in the roof of every large class spaceship.

Man, that sucks. The only consistent 'problem' I get is whenever I shoot a Berserker and it runs towards the attacker, the game stutters like a motherfucker until he stops. Everything else is usually fine.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By shirogane

@Terramagi said:

So i wasn't seeing things, my Sniper DID miss a 100% chance shot on and enemy right in front of them.

I've also had floaters spawn in out of nowhere, a teleporting Muton and Sectopods coming out of nowhere too. Not to mention the bigger UFO camera thing. Yeah the game is pretty buggy, but it's not as unplayable as you put it out to be, for most people. Still, a lot of theh bugs are things that should've been fixed before release, especially the camera one. I can also think of a lot of other gameplay tweaks that could improve the game, specifically the whole free turn on enemies thing is BS.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lanechanger

Ok I'm glad I'm not alone on these problems, I keep getting the cyberdisc + drones combo appear in the middle of my group whenever I'm in a crashed UFO mission that I thought that's just one of their abilities. And the camera constantly panning to the roof thing is real annoying. Another one is trying to grapple hook onto the roof, that gets real buggy too in terms of trying to click the tile you want to grapple on to. There could have been more polish on this. The camera panning let and panning right button if I hover over the mouse I get something like "[] : ", not sure if that's just me. I've had some bugs with the UI also where I sometimes have to hover my mouse away and then back onto something before I can click it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MiniPato said:

So I just started a classic ironman game and was doing pretty well. Then I got to an abduction mission and things were going well in the beginning. Stacked my dudes up getting ready to breach a building. Caught 3 sectoids by surprise, moved my soldiers in and killed 2 of them. One of my guys was in full cover next to a wall. Then out of the fucking blue, or out of the wall next to my guy, came 2 floaters from out of nowhere. There wasn't any darkness concealing them, there were no windows, no skylights, no second floor. Either they spawned out of nowhere, or they were outside the building and clipped through the walls. They killed 2 soldiers, one rookie and one lieutenant. I managed to complete the mission with my remaining two soldiers, luckily. But I thought what happened was just pure bullshit. It wasn't me being careless or impatient, it was just the game shitting itself and screwing me over in the process. This happened to me twice before in my normal game. A goddamn sectopod spawned out of nowhere in a small power core room in a medium sized scout UFO.

So what I want to know is,is this some kind of feature that the game failed to tell me about? That enemies can just spawn or clip through walls and floors? And has this happened to anyone else?

I have had a few missions where floaters will appear right behind me near my transport. Scared the crap out of me. 
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MiniPato

I wouldn't say the game is unplayable. It's certainly playable on normal where the bugs aren't as anger inducing and it's probably the game I've enjoyed playing the most this whole year. But yeah, if playing on classic/impossible and ironmanning it (which I understand to some people is the definitive way to play), it can come off as nigh unplayable. I expect the tactical challenge to be confined to the game's rule set and not the unpredictable bugs that fuck you over and then autosaves it as a final "fuck you."

As for any stuttering? I haven't had any issues whatsoever. The only time the game grinded to 1 fps is when I discovered 12 mutons at once when assaulting the loading bay of a landed cargo ship.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By HH

I haven't had any of these issues, I'm on the 360, I wonder are these bugs just showing up on the pc version or what?

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Zuldim

@TheHT said:

@Terramagi said:

@EveretteScott said:

@Terramagi said:

Man, that sucks. The only consistent 'problem' I get is whenever I shoot a Berserker and it runs towards the attacker, the game stutters like a motherfucker until he stops. Everything else is usually fine.

Oh thank God this isn't just me. I was getting worried about my machine at first.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turambar
    @HH said:
    I haven't had any of these issues, I'm on the 360, I wonder are these bugs just showing up on the pc version or what?
    I'm on the PC, I've had camera issues, but nothing else.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

I have never had any of these problems, the only problem I had was a mutton sneaking up on my sniper, but I think she was in Hunker Down mode, which significantly reduces your sight radius.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vitor

@Zuldim said:

@TheHT said:

@Terramagi said:

@EveretteScott said:

@Terramagi said:

Oh thank God this isn't just me. I was getting worried about my machine at first.

Man, that totally happens to me on the PC too! It's such a pain, I just assumed my GPU was dying or something :|

My FPS drops to like 10-12 whenever a Berserker runs.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I haven't had necessarily enemies pop out of nowhere on my troops but there have been times times enemies with large movement range will surround one of my troops and still have the ability to strike my soldier. This makes the game all the more frustrating towards the beginning when you don't have the upgrades to kill a Berserker or Chrysilid at short range in one shot and you pretty much know your soldier is screwed. Game never feels balanced but the more you play you start to understand what enemies will do and just have to develop a good strategy on how to combat it.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

Yeah, the game has some pretty serious polish issues.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By crusader8463

Sadly it is a rather buggy game in this regards. Literally just got done beating it, but I had to stop trying to Ironman it as the above mentioned glitches were really destroying my love for this game. Being able to just reload when the game glitches out like that is the only way to play this game without ripping out clumps of hair as a guy you spent 5+ hours working on gets smoked and you have nothing you can do about it. I hope that they get some patches out to address these issues ASAP so I can attempt an iron man again, but as is I won't even consider trying it. Wasted 20 hours trying Ironman thus far in two separate attempts that ended with my squad dying due to annoying glitches like this.

Antikythera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Antikythera

We weren't prepared for an alien invasion! Shocker!

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fawkes

I've had floaters and cyberdisks/drones pop in out of nowhere. The first time I beat the base mission it started with enemies spawning out of nowhere every turn, then the rest of the base was empty until the last room.

I also get the stuttering with berserkers.

And I may have fucked my SHIVs, possibly by researching lasers after plasma just to finish off the foundry, because they can't do anything except move now.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Peanut

Flying enemies are the biggest cause for concern. They can go where they like regardless of geometry and sometimes they seem to spawn from absolutely nowhere. This and the whole "enemies shoot through 5 different layers of cover from 40 feet away and score a critical hit" thing drove me away from classic iron man pretty much immediately.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By abendlaender

Thank god i'm not the only one. I almost went insane cause some fucking Crystalids appeared out of nowhere and killed half my sqaud. They just warped in behind the back of anyone. That's just....aaargh.

I hope they fix that soon, cause I probably wont play again before they do. Also I think it's just fucked that the Aliens get an extra move when they are spotted.

PS: Also Firaxis, for the love of god give me the option to disable the "Aliens intro" movies. I like the action camera but I seriously don't need to see this two different animations over and over and over and over again.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Scrawnto said:

It definitely happens, and it's almost certainly a bug. It's annoying, but so far it hasn't totally screwed me yet. I had a cyberdisc and two groups of floaters pop in right next to my sniper who was hanging out on a roof with long lines of sight. There's no way those enemies sneaked up on him. Fortunately, he had the opportunity to jump down and take cover.

Yeah this happened to me too, except they materialized all around my sniper! Luckily she had ghost armor on so I slipped away unnoticed, but I made a stupid mistake of putting her on overwatch and when she took a reaction shot she got it from all of them. Surprisingly, she actually survived their fire with one blip of health left, but I forgot that she had been poisoned a couple turns before by a thin man and died the next turn. I was super pissed, but she wasn't my main sniper so I grudgingly carried on, plus I'm doing ironman so it's not like I had a choice. I thought it was a feature of a game though, hopefully it will get patched out.

SquigglyElf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SquigglyElf

@Vitor said:

@Zuldim said:

@TheHT said:

@Terramagi said:

@EveretteScott said:

@Terramagi said:

Man, that totally happens to me on the PC too! It's such a pain, I just assumed my GPU was dying or something :|

My FPS drops to like 10-12 whenever a Berserker runs.

I'm on the pc as well, and whenever a Berserker runs at one of my guys my fps drops horribly, and 20% of the time it will crash completely, or lock up to the point where I have to force close the game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BisonHero

@Abendlaender said:

PS: Also Firaxis, for the love of god give me the option to disable the "Aliens intro" movies. I like the action camera but I seriously don't need to see this two different animations over and over and over and over again.

Yeah, it is kinda weird that it plays that movie every single time you discover a group of aliens. Sure, maybe the first time you encounter that enemy type or something, but every time?

I feel like maybe it's a concession to strategy game noobs who don't fully look around to see what their new line of sight reveals. So their solution is to make this big elaborate production out of every single discovery of an enemy group, where you're forced to watch the intro movie and then watch them all take a free movement action.

Look, game, I'm not retarded. I saw the enemies that I revealed by advancing my position.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karkarov

Yeah dude last night I was taking on the Alien Base and I had a berserker of all things literally spawn three tiles in front of my sniper, right in plain view directly in front of them. Thank god he didn't crit.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jams

Guys, I'm going to have to admit that... I think XCOM sucks. I'm having all the same issues everyone else is having. On top of it all, I really grew to despise the interface and controls on the PC. I don't need the fucking camera locking to every soldier I give commands to. Just let me fucking zoom out and click around to where I want the guys to go. Everything has a cut scene to it and it's always the same one. Do I really need to see the interceptor going in and out of the hangar? Does the game really need to show it dropping in every time?

I feel like the game has a ridiculous amount of fluff to every step that doing something that should take 30 seconds takes 2 minuets.

Taefarinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Taefarinas

@MiniPato: @Terramagi: @EveretteScott: Unfortunately it seems to be unplayable for me on normal too, unless I try the same mission (but just the one...) over and over again. Enemies that spawn on top of me and take out all of my soldiers (Floaters, Chryssalids, Cyberdiscs, Mutons), and the elevation gets stuck on the roof so that my soldiers can't enter the door they are standing beside and instead run to the roof.

I really like this game, and would like to see the end, but I don't know what to do with this mission I keep retrying. It's a UFO landing site and it seems to be of moderate importance because Dr. Shen talks to me at the beginning.

It would be nice to have a more useful grenade aiming mode. It's a bit twitchy, but that is just a small issue and there are larger ones that need to be dealt with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.