Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Enemy unknown for $37

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By YoThatLimp

Great deal!

http://www.greenmangaming.com/xcom-deal/

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jozzy

Yeah, I am trying it but the link in that page gives a 404 error.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Funkydupe

Certainly won't be getting this any cheaper than that w. Pre-order extras.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beepmachine

What is that site like for DRM? I've only ever used steam for digital purchases.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Funkydupe

You will receive a key from GMG and register it on Steam.

Edit: They will give it to you when the game is officially released. That means that they'll probably not distribute keys for pre-loading on Steam.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Klei

I can't purchase anything else from greenmangaming. Same with every single one of my friends. Mastercard blocks the website, calling it shady. Sigh.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funkydupe

That's because the banks think it is a gambling site. It can be fixed just by contacting the bank and letting them know it is a video game store.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/21796576-payment-issues

US banks
    For those customers in the US, you may have experienced a different payment collection issue. Due to our name, ‘Green Man Gaming’ we have had some banks reject payment as they think we are a gambling site. We are in direct conversation with these banks but please continue to report this to us by raising a ticket as it helps identify those banks who we may not have spoken to yet
    chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By chilibean_3

@jozzy: Try clicking on the top banner instead.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

Oh, I guess that explains why I can't order from Green Man Gaming. Means I miss out on all these deals.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Funkydupe

The Paypal option doesn't work either?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

@Funkydupe said:

Edit: They will give it to you when the game is officially released. That means that they'll probably not distribute keys for pre-loading on Steam.

I got my Borderlands 2 key before the release date and was able to preload...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Bah. Already pre-ordered on steam, else I would certainly capitalize on this.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chilibean_3

Thanks for the heads up, duder! Dang, Green Man Gaming might become my go to place for vijeo gamez.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

@AlexW00d said:

@Funkydupe said:

That's great, but there are no guarantees that'll happen as a rule...

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/2928/

When do I receive my (Steam/Origin) key?
    Keys are sent out on the day of release. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee having keys sent out with time to pre-load.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I'm getting a 404 error, any tips?

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By YoThatLimp

@AlexW00d said:

@Funkydupe said:

Same, I am hoping this will be the same.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Zuldim

Awesome, I've been wanting to pick this up and at $37 I'll definitely do so. I'm just getting a broken URL when I click on the banner right now though. Ah well, it goes until the first, hopefully it'll be fixed by then.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BisonHero

How does this site actually operate? How does returning a free game generate store credit? Is the whole thing some weird loophole to be allowed to sell Steam keys at launch for less than the Steam-mandated price?

Do people actually use this site to for the games it offers? Because I have literally only ever heard it mentioned in the context of scamming Steam and buying a game for less than the standard price.

Brofessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brofessor

I've used GMG before I used it for Borderlands 2, DarkSouls, CiV 5 and others never had any problems with them before they are very good about getting you your key before the release date. In fact I got my Borderlands 2 key several days before release so I had time to preload. If your cautious I completely understand, I was to but for my part I've never had any problems with them, always have received my key in a timely manner and it's always unlocked on steam without difficulty. In the end it's what 7-8 dollars you'll be saving if your unsure just get it at steam or amazon and be secure.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By YoThatLimp

@BisonHero said:

How does this site actually operate? How does returning a free game generate store credit? Is the whole thing some weird loophole to be allowed to sell Steam keys at launch for less than the Steam-mandated price?

Do people actually use this site to for the games it offers? Because I have literally only ever heard it mentioned in the context of scamming Steam and buying a game for less than the standard price.

I don't see how offering a game at a lower price than steam is a scam, just because the game uses steam as DRM doesn't mean it is using shady methods to take money from steam's pocket.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zuldim

@YoThatLimp said:

@BisonHero said:

I don't see how offering a game at a lower price than steam is a scam, just because the game uses steam as DRM doesn't mean it is using shady methods to take money from steam's pocket.

Yeah, by that logic since it's a Steamwork game, all stores which sell the PC version are swindling Valve.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero
    @Zuldim

@YoThatLimp said:

@BisonHero said:

Yeah, by that logic since it's a Steamwork game, all stores which sell the PC version are swindling Valve.

I'm fine with stores selling Steam keys, but the weird part is that instead of just straight up selling the Steam key, you have to first get this free game and trade it in for the discount. That's the part that seems like somebody pulling a fast one. Are the devs of that free game paying GMG for the extra exposure of their game, even if 99% of people never play it because they just want XCOM?
    I'm just trying to figure out how this business model actually makes any sense for anybody other than consumers.
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By YoThatLimp

@BisonHero said:

@Zuldim

@YoThatLimp said:

@BisonHero said:

I'm fine with stores selling Steam keys, but the weird part is that instead of just straight up selling the Steam key, you have to first get this free game and trade it in for the discount. That's the part that seems like somebody pulling a fast one. Are the devs of that free game paying GMG for the extra exposure of their game, even if 99% of people never play it because they just want XCOM? I'm just trying to figure out how this business model actually makes any sense for anybody other than consumers.

Maybe additional exposure for the game, but it also means additional people registering from GMG accounts and the possibility of future purchase like Steam does with its seasonal sales.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BisonHero

@jozzy said:

Yeah, I am trying it but the link in that page gives a 404 error.

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

I'm getting a 404 error, any tips?

@Zuldim said:

Awesome, I've been wanting to pick this up and at $37 I'll definitely do so. I'm just getting a broken URL when I click on the banner right now though. Ah well, it goes until the first, hopefully it'll be fixed by then.

I searched and found a GMG thread that explained why it gave a 404 when you clicked on the bottom link. That link takes you to the page where you do the trade-in of Age of Fear for XCOM. However, it 404s if your account doesn't already have Age of Fear, because you can't do the trade-in without it. So I guess you have to go manually add Age of Fear to your account, THEN click on that link about doing the trade-in and getting XCOM for $7.

Unfortunately, while the trade-in deal is still on until like 12 hours from now, Age of Fear was only free for a short time a week ago. So if you do already own Age of Fear (for some godforsaken reason) you can trade it in to get XCOM for $37. However, you probably don't, and the game now costs $20, so you probably can't get XCOM for $37. However, its normal price on GMG is $45, which is slightly better than Steam, so I guess there is that option.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@BisonHero: Thanks for the late tips, but I already figured it out. Hope everyone else lucked out/figured it out like I did.

Also, please have mercy on me for not posting my findings immediately afterwards.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Funkydupe

http://www.g2play.net/store/ has a good deal on it now. I bought it on GMG for around that price. No Pre-order stuff though, but that was just coloring of armor etc.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zuldim

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@BisonHero: Thanks for the late tips, but I already figured it out. Hope everyone else lucked out/figured it out like I did.

Also, please have mercy on me for not posting my findings immediately afterwards.

Yeah, I figured it out too, pretty quick. In retrospect I also should have probably posted this, but I didn't realize it was something so many people were having issues with.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jozzy

@Zuldim said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Yeah, I figured it out too, pretty quick. In retrospect I also should have probably posted this, but I didn't realize it was something so many people were having issues with.

I figured it out too, but by then I had already tried to just trade in that free game seperately. After that I couldn't get it again because it said I already owned it, but I didn't anymore because I traded it in. I was pretty much screwed. I agree with one of the commenters that this seems like a really weird system to give out discounts, it probably is advantageous to GMG or the developer of that game but it all seems extremely counter intuitive and (more than?) a little shady.

BUY THIS FREE GAME FROM $0,00 AND TRADE IT IN FOR A DISCOUNT TOWARDS XCOM GUYS.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LarryDavis

I got the boxed copy for 38 from Newegg. They had a 12 dollar off preorders $49.99 and up thing going, which is back up again now, but at the time they were listing some PC games as 50 when it should have been 60. Same with Borderlands 2, and Rayman Legends. I abused the hell out of that sale.

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Young_Scott

@Funkydupe said:

http://www.g2play.net/store/ has a good deal on it now. I bought it on GMG for around that price. No Pre-order stuff though, but that was just coloring of armor etc.

Actually, the pre-order stuff on Steam is now pretty substantial: in addition to the classic XCOM Solider/colours you mentioned, you also get three ninfty TF2 items and a gift-able copy of Civilization 5!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Funkydupe

Well, yes, but then you have to order through Steam which is usually twice as expensive (at least for me it is). I don't really care about soldier colors nor hats in a game I don't play.

A 25% voucher is back for GMG. Doesn't work for the North American version of XCOM though.

GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lukeweizer

You only get it for $37 if you trade in that other game. That's right... TRADE IN YOUR DIGITAL GAME FOR MORE DIGITAL GAMES.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By YoThatLimp

Amazon seems to be giving away free copies of Civ5 with pre-orders now while being 5$ cheaper than steam

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrCandleguy

I love you sir. <3

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThunderSlash

@Funkydupe said:

A 25% voucher is back for GMG.

Hell yeah!

Doesn't work for the North American version of XCOM though.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sanity

@ThunderSlash said:

@Funkydupe said:

A 25% voucher is back for GMG.

Hell yeah!

Doesn't work for the North American version of XCOM though.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

indeed

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.