Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

I have never played an RTS before but this looks great.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

I'm just scared that it will overwhelm me because I have literally never touched an RTS before, and I will have to play on a console.

Any tips would be great.

rockbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rockbrain

It's turn based, bro.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pompouspizza

@Rockbrain: your point?

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RustySanderke

@pompouspizza: It's not in real time.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

It's really more of a turn-based tactics game than it is a real-time strategy.

Anyway, my tips would be to not get too attached to your soldiers, take your time in planning out what to do, and stay in cover.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Philantrophy

@pompouspizza: You can plan your moves more carefully, RTS stands for Real Time Strategy. X-COM plays more like CIV than Starcraft. So just think about cover and flanking aliens and you should do fine.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ghost_cat

I don't think I have been this excited for a RTS since Company of Heroes. Cannot wait for tomorrow!

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Huey2k2

@pompouspizza: XCOM is not an RTS.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pompouspizza

@Rockbrain: I mean more on a system level.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11  Edited By spiceninja

XCOM isn't an RTS. It's more of a tactical turnbased strategy game. There will probably be a huge learning curve if you've never played a game like it before but since there hasn't been a game like this in a long time there will probably be a tutorial.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pompouspizza

@BeachThunder: yes I feel really stupid now, I knew it was turn based and yet I still said RTS, ha!. I guess the game just scares me a bit because I have zero experience with this kind of game.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cbarnes86

XCOM is one of the few games I can get behind in terms of "games that your troops die a lot." I enjoy playing a lot of RTS and other strategy games like SC2 and AoE and others, but I hate my troops dying. Not sure why, I just always play those games massing a shit ton of troops and mowing over the enemy, losing like a handful of dudes. This game however seems that you will have quite a few soldiers die and I know I will grow attached to each soldier. Already pre-loaded though, so tomorrow can't come any faster!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

@pompouspizza said:

@Rockbrain: I mean more on a system level.

You can't get much more system-level than "turn based" or "real time". Do you know the difference between those two? Turn-based means you take turns, like in chess.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ShaggE

Sadly, everybody's going to rush in to say "it's not an RTS", so it might be a while before you get many helpful posts.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Rayeth

People who think XCOM is an RTS, do not know what an RTS (real time strategy) is. This is fine in your case since you admit to never playing one.

XCOM is a turn based strategy (TBS? No one really uses this term though), with a pseudo-real time component in the world/base views. It is not really a fully turn based game, but it most certainly is NOT a RTS.

That said, don't worry about the genre. Just give the game a go and follow the tutorials as best you can. Winning will require careful play and lots of thinking. This is normal. So soldier on and keep in cover and hopefully your squad will come out alive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You never played any Japanese tactics games? This is just that with more attention paid to accuracy and a metagame between fights.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@cbarnes86: RTS's with the notable exception of Company of Heroes, tend to have that issue. You're not being tactical so much as you're brute forcing the mediocre AI or using some fotm boring repetitive build if its multiplayer. That's not to say I dislike RTS's but they're a very poor rendition of any strategic thought processes.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pompouspizza

@cbarnes86: Cool, I just hope the game works well with a controller, need to watch the quicklook.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@pompouspizza: Most tactical RPGs are console/handheld games, no reason for it not to work well. The Civilizaton comparison is a bit ludicrous; this is a more difficult randomized Tactical-JRPG with some very gradual base upgrade mechanics built in and no anime storyline.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cbarnes86

@pompouspizza: It does, or at least from what I saw in all the videos they posted.

@Fredchuckdave: The Dawn of War series was also good (but CoH and DoW are made by the same company, so there you go). Also, super stoked for CoH 2!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@cbarnes86: Never played Dawn of War, though I did play Dawn of War 2 (too much like DoTA, not enough like an RTS); I wish it was like super super difficult and realistic, maybe start with twice as many guys but they die twice as fast; then there's a lot of potential for tactical approaches to things. Now that's not to say modern combat tactics are particularly brilliant either (too much brute force attrition). I do think Sid Meier's Gettysburg is a very accurate and tactical rendition of Civil War battles (not this bullshit "hope my chance to hit is above X" that comes from tactical RPGs) where flanking, formations, and usage of actual artillery is all integrated into the system. Also the AI isn't dreadful like it is in Total War games.

Best thing about CoH is that tanks work like tanks should work, constant mobility and cutting through lines is where they're effective, but if you're ever sedentary you can die mighty quick. Heinz Guderian would be proud(ish).

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By prestonhedges
    @ShaggE

Sadly, everybody's going to rush in to say "it's not an RTS", so it might be a while before you get many helpful posts.

That's what he gets.
    Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spectrea

Try the original Xcom while you wait its a couple of bux on stea,, if you can do ok on veteran youll be fine with the new game, its alot more streamlined, but DONT and this goes to everyone who is buying the new one, play on normal...it apparently isnt a challenge whatsoever and Xcom is all about the challenge. Do classic. I would say be patient, but in this new one from what i can gather is the enemies dont move until you spot them...so just try to stay in cover.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@pompouspizza said:

@BeachThunder: yes I feel really stupid now, I knew it was turn based and yet I still said RTS, ha!. I guess the game just scares me a bit because I have zero experience with this kind of game.

Ah I aint mad at ya.

If you've never played a game like this before it'll probably take some getting used to and the game seems pretty rough. That being said it's awesome you're getting into it, definitely worth it. As far as tips go, cover seems like your best friend. And taking your time.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hunkulese

Closet caparison of how Xcom plays with a recent game would be Shadow Wars on the 3DS.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Hunkulese said:

Closet caparison of how Xcom plays with a recent game would be Shadow Wars on the 3DS.

Yeah I guess so. I wish more squad based TBS games came out. That one looked awesome but I don't have a 3DS so I never played it. I believe there was also a Warhammer 40k TBS game for PSP. I get that the genre is pretty good for portables but since I'm not a portable type of player I always miss out.

Hopefully XCOM changes that and we get more proper PC/console releases.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheHumanDove

It's not an RTS.

Did I do it right?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NegativeCero

Same here, I had zero interest in this game until I saw the quick looks on the site.

Glic2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Glic2000

If you're afraid to play it, I suggest playing the original X-Com first. Then you'll be absolutely terrified. :)

Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheVideoHustler

The nice thing is it's totally not an RTS. They've always been to fast for me, (which is why I love CIv) So I am really happy that this game came out.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Zippedbinders

@Hunkulese said:

Or Valkyria Chronicles without the manual aiming.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By renmckormack

You have to figure out the rock paper scissors of the units and the enemies. I used to keep a notebook when i played FF tactics of what worked better against what enemy, That will get you through the early stuff. then you are going to have to dive deep into the upgrade systems. Sounds like that could be a problem for everybody since you might spec in a way that leaves you weak at a potential encounter that you did not expect. But many of these games are good old fashioned trial and error.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By living4theday258

X-COM isnt really an RTS..... but i have played the demo of it and it is fun. if you like the way it looks download the demo(i dont know if theres a demo on console), if you like that get the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.