Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

My highest ranking soldier just disappeared...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By big_jon

I have been looking for him for like 15 minutes, he has been alive since the first mission, and yet is suddenly nowhere to be found, WTF!? He was a heavy with 100 kills! Where did he go, I checked the memorial, he's not there either!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

Can you go to a previous save? That sounds fucked

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By big_jon

Apparently I "Dismissed" him, thinking that meant removing him from my squad, what a fucking stupid option.

Fuck this game...

I literally just lost the guy I have had since the very beginning of the game because of a stupid unclear fucking option, that or a bug made him disappear.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

@big_jon: Load your last save.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By big_jon

@Dagbiker: The save where he is last alive is four hours ago, I was trying to rank up other soldiers, so I put him away for a while.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tim_the_corsair

...that's kind of your fault then duder

If he had 100 kills, you probably played enough to have swapped guys out before, right?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Funkydupe

His fault how?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By big_jon

@Tim_the_Corsair: I don't see it that way at all, Dismiss doss not specify deleting him, it is an entirly pointless option, and it should explicitly tell you that is what you are doing to avoid this very situation, I looked it up, and I am not the first to have this happen.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Sambambo

Seems a bit silly to include the option with no warning, but why where you changing your squad outside of the usual menu?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

@big_jon: Sorry you made that mistake. I guess you'll know for the future.

Just think of it like the game simply killed him and find a way to move on. Not much more you can do.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Funkydupe

@SuperSambo: Both good points. I've dismissed several troops that have been rolled terrible Will on their first rank-up. The one I removed from the roster more recently had 28 which is just pointless.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By big_jon

@SuperSambo: It has a warning that says "Are you sure" but it does not specify what you are actually doing, it is in the edit option for the soldier, I was swapping around some of his equipment to use on another soldier and the bottom there is "Dismiss" I clicked this assuming it was a way to remove the soldier from the squad without having to back out into the main squad menu, so I clicked it and put another soldier in his place.

The end result is that if I want him back I have to load a save from 4 hours ago, and I now really don't even feel like playing this game.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Barrabas

Don't load him back, just keep going. Yes it sucks to lose a good guy in that way, but it's really not that important in the long run. You should still be fine. Hell, you went for 4 hours without even noticing.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By haffy

Erm. Grow up. Not a big deal.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By big_jon

@Barrabas: I know, it's just that he was my favourite dude.

@haffy: "Grow up", what the fuck does that even mean in this context? What kind of a useless douchebag thing is that to say? Maybe it's not a big deal to you, but I have been turned off the game over this.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By corruptsaves

That's a shame that it wasn't worded better with the warning message. Just pretend that he had enough of fighting for earth and decided to take up badminton.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By big_jon

@corruptsaves: I'd like to think Pappa Bear would be the type to retire to do a lot of fishing, but I can't help but feel that he would not abandon his squad like that! ;)

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UnrealDP

If it makes you feel any better, I lost an ironman classic game that was about 6 hours in because the game suddenly listed all of my men as "on mission", yet when I'd launch a mission only two would ever show up.... Good thing yours doesn't sound like a glitch though. That dismiss button can be a jerk.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By theguy

@TruthTellah said:

Just think of it like the game simply killed him and find a way to move on. Not much more you can do.

Or he couldn't handle it anymore and deserted. At least you know the soldiers you have left are loyal.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By haffy

@big_jon said:

@Barrabas: I know, it's just that he was my favourite dude.

@haffy: "Grow up", what the fuck does that even mean in this context? What kind of a useless douchebag thing is that to say? Maybe it's not a big deal to you, but I have been turned off the game over this.

What does grow up mean in this context?

Well let's see.

Your contemplating quitting a game over a single mistake.

Your being fucking melodramatic as fuck. It was one single soldier, you, yourself have said you haven't used in over 4 hours.

Your being completely irrational and blaming a mistake you made by yourself on the developers. Yes, it's possible somebody could get confused over the words "Dismiss" which is followed by a warning. But you know, one warning should be enough. Otherwise what happens when the warning's, warning doesn't work and somebody makes a mistake?! We will need a 6 point warning system!

Also above all. Losing a soldier in this game is so trivial it doesn't matter. Are you loading your saves every time someone dies or some shit?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nux

Sorry for your loss. I have a sniper with over 138 kills. I'd be crushed if anything ever happend to him.On tyhe bright side he didn't die so even if you can't use him anymore you know that where ever he is he is still alive and kicking. Also congrats on having a useful heavy.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Phatmac

Sucks but it isn't a bug or anything.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vitor

@big_jon said:

@Tim_the_Corsair: I don't see it that way at all, Dismiss doss not specify deleting him, it is an entirly pointless option, and it should explicitly tell you that is what you are doing to avoid this very situation, I looked it up, and I am not the first to have this happen.

That's an incredibly useless option for them to have and you're totally justified in feeling annoyed. Why would you ever want to dismiss a soldier? You have 99 capacity at the Barracks, you're never going to be wanting for space...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By big_jon

@haffy: Yeah, actually I worked really hard to keep that dude alive every mission, what I need to not care about something you call "trivial" because you personally don't care about it?

Hey news flash, being a fucking dick over something like this is no more mature than me being pissed off about it, I am angry because I have kept this guy alive for probably, what? 15-20 hours, and I lost him do to a stupid non specific unnecessary option in his edit menu. Clearly you are so up this games ass that you would take any criticism about it as some kind of personal insult, so hey, why don't you "grow up" and not be such a fucking dick next time and, maybe try not belittling someone who just lost a large portion of the fun out of their game.

Hey turns out people get angry at a game when things like this happen, so don't be an asshole.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Sackmanjones
    Its a dumb option yes. But it clearly says
    Its a dumb option yes. But it clearly says "permanently" dismiss this solider. 
    haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By haffy

@big_jon said:

@haffy: Yeah, actually I worked really hard to keep that dude alive every mission, what I need to not care about something you call "trivial" because you personally don't care about it?

Hey news flash, being a fucking dick over something like this is no more mature than me being pissed off about it, I am angry because I have kept this guy alive for probably, what? 15-20 hours, and I lost him do to a stupid non specific unnecessary option in his edit menu. Clearly you are so up this games ass that you would take any criticism about it as some kind of personal insult, so hey, why don't you "grow up" and not be such a fucking dick next time and, maybe try not belittling someone who just lost a large portion of the fun out of their game.

Hey turns out people get angry at a game when things like this happen, so don't be an asshole.

But it is completely irrational. If you were a 5 year old, I'd pat you on your ahead and agree with you. But since your old enough to be able to type coherent sentences, you should be old enough to be told when your being a fucking idiot and making drama out of something that was completely your own fault.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By big_jon

@Sackmanjones: Didn't notice, I was more focused on the warning screen I guess, usually that is where it specifies things like this, still don't like it though.

@Nux: Yeah, I lost a sniper with 97 kills a few hours back, I was indeed bummed out.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @big_jon: It really is a shitty option though, I cannot think of why you would ever disband a solider. Maybe if your doing a mission where your getting a solider but you have full capacity so you need to let someone go or something like that? 
    Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By Barrabas

@UnrealDP said:

If it makes you feel any better, I lost an ironman classic game that was about 6 hours in because the game suddenly listed all of my men as "on mission", yet when I'd launch a mission only two would ever show up.... Good thing yours doesn't sound like a glitch though. That dismiss button can be a jerk.

Oh man, you're the first person I've heard have this glitch other than me. Were the two who showed up the only survivors from the previous mission by any chance? The only people I could select were the 6 from the previous mission. Everyone else was stuck in "on mission" status, and I had to dismiss them since I was playing with ironman turned on. Luckily I was able to bounce back.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By big_jon

@Sackmanjones: Yeah, if you have a cap of 100, I don't see the point of removing guys permanently, I guess in the heat of editing I clicked too fast.

I remember awhile back I turned on my Xbox and loaded up Banjo-tooie, I left the Xbox alone for a little while because I was making dinner at the same time, when I came back my screen was in sleep mode. So I picked up my controller and as I turned on my TV I realised that I some how pressed the buttons necessary to delete my 25 hour save while grabbing my controller, that was a sad day... I have bad luck with things like this, though I am happy I have not suffered any of the the crazy bugs I have read about in this thread.

Anyways I am playing XCOM again, I am still angry about what happened but took the advice, and decided not to load back four hours.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TruthTellah

@theguy said:

@TruthTellah said:

Or he couldn't handle it anymore and deserted. At least you know the soldiers you have left are loyal.

Yeah! That dirty coward! He's better off without him anyway.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By buft

wow, just wow, that really sucks but at least no matter what happens, he survives

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By UnrealDP

@Barrabas said:

@UnrealDP said:

Oh man, you're the first person I've heard have this glitch other than me. Were the two who showed up the only survivors from the previous mission by any chance? The only people I could select were the 6 from the previous mission. Everyone else was stuck in "on mission" status, and I had to dismiss them since I was playing with ironman turned on. Luckily I was able to bounce back.

Nah, my last mission went off without a hitch, but then I got a UFO landing and suddenly the squad loadout screen was glitched with random soldiers in random places and it saying I only had 2 on there even though I could see six (which was weird because I could still only have squads of 5). Then I started the mission and only the two came along and from there I couldn't use any of my soldiers on any missions because they were all listed as "on mission." Nice to see you fixed yours at a price though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.