Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Never-Ending?

Lugburz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Lugburz

So i was reading through the "concepts" page and i saw the "Never-Ending" assigned. Does this game doesn't end really? i mean after you finish the campaign does it let you complete your progress or something? as you can tell i haven't finish it yet, so i want no spoilers please.

One thing i know is that if you keep ignoring the main objectives you will force the game to keep giving you UFO missions obviously, but even that i haven't confirmed it yet.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Terramagi

After a certain point panic stops even being a thing, so as long as you don't activate the final objective before the last mission, it'll never end.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sbaitso
    @Terramagi That's not quite never ending, is it. Perhaps the page needs some editing.
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By kerse

Yeah you could go on forever right before the last mission, but I don't think that counts as never-ending.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zaccheus

I thought the lead designer said that you actually can't go on forever. The panic just keeps escalating and you get more and more abduction missions until you loose enough countries to loose. The game will always force you to move on at some point, you can probably hold on for a pretty long time at the end thought. Still it definitely isn't "never-ending".

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Terramagi

@Zaccheus said:

I thought the lead designer said that you actually can't go on forever. The panic just keeps escalating and you get more and more abduction missions until you loose enough countries to loose. The game will always force you to move on at some point, you can probably hold on for a pretty long time at the end thought. Still it definitely isn't "never-ending".

The lead designer also said "it isn't possible to hold onto all the countries".

Lugburz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Lugburz

@Zaccheus: I think you got a point there, there are always 3 countries to choose to save when an abduction mission appears, saving one will escalate the other two panic bars.

In one playthrough, i got 7 countries in my back they all had satellites coverage and their panic levels the lowest, i was doing pretty well until that one mission which turned the tables around and i admit defeat.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Zaccheus said:

I'm sorry, this is a pretty big pet peeve of mine.

lose /lo͞oz/

Verb:

1. Be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something): "I've lost my appetite".
    2. Cause (someone) to fail to gain or retain (something): "you lost me my appointment at the university".

loose /lo͞os/

Adjective:
    Not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached: "a loose tooth".
    Verb:
    Set free; release: "the hounds have been loosed".
    Synonyms:
    adjective. lax - slack - free
    verb. release - loosen - untie - unfasten - unbind - undo
    zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zaccheus

@RollingZeppelin: Sorry. English isn't my first language, I make plenty of mistakes. I aim to be understood. I'll try to keep that in mind in the future. For some reason I used to have a lot of trouble with then and than before. I mixed them up constantly, but I think I have a pretty good handle on it now. Also writing which used to be a problem to long time ago, I always wanted to write witch.

You make a mistake once then you repeat it over time and after a while it's really hard to get rid of. Old habits die hard. I've probably mixed up lose and loose a lot. Someone else would probably be upset about you calling them out, but I'm thankful. If you don't know about your mistakes you can never correct them.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Lugburz:

Abduction missions can't happen in countries with satellites over them. So once you cover the entire planet in satellites you will completely stop getting abduction missions (as long as you don't let any abductor UFO's through obv).

It is in fact completely possible to keep the game going forever if one so desires

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Zaccheus: You seem to be relatively competent, no need to worry about pedantry. I find non-first language english writing more charming anyway, once you know the language too well it's easy to make your writing inscrutably academic unintentionally. Like listening to a professor who has no idea how to teach more or less.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By RVonE

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Zaccheus said:

I'm sorry, this is a pretty big pet peeve of mine.

lose /lo͞oz/

Verb:

1. Be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something): "I've lost my appetite".
    2. Cause (someone) to fail to gain or retain (something): "you lost me my appointment at the university".

loose /lo͞os/

Adjective:
    Not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached: "a loose tooth".
    Verb:
    Set free; release: "the hounds have been loosed".
    Synonyms:
    adjective. lax - slack - free
    verb. release - loosen - untie - unfasten - unbind - undo

OOOOOOOOOOOH YOU JUST DONE SCHOOLED HIM, SON!!!! BOOOOSSHHHHH!!!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Zaccheus said:

@RollingZeppelin: Sorry. English isn't my first language, I make plenty of mistakes. I aim to be understood. I'll try to keep that in mind in the future. For some reason I used to have a lot of trouble with then and than before. I mixed them up constantly, but I think I have a pretty good handle on it now. Also writing which used to be a problem to long time ago, I always wanted to write witch.

You make a mistake once then you repeat it over time and after a while it's really hard to get rid of. Old habits die hard. I've probably mixed up lose and loose a lot. Someone else would probably be upset about you calling them out, but I'm thankful. If you don't know about your mistakes you can never correct them.

It's cool, I can barely speak another language, I find anyone who can communicate in another language very impressive. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be critical, that misspelling is just a pet peeve of mine, I'm glad you saw it that way!

There are a ton of native English speakers that mix up then and than, in fact, I think I noticed that Patrick had done so recently in one of his articles.

I agree with your last point, I think people should have their more glaring grammar mistakes pointed out to them on forums, as long as the person's not being a dick about it.

@Fredchuckdave: There's a big difference between pedantry and wanting words to be used in the proper context and spelling so one can communicate clearly. A professor who uses large arcane words to sound smart is equally bad at communicating as someone who uses words in the wrong context. They are usually covering up the fact that they have no idea what they are talking about by using so much indecipherable language that no one can understand them. Most academics know that, these people are not fooling anyone. I find that students who are not used to presenting are likely to do that more so than profs.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Zuldim

@Tennmuerti said:

@Lugburz:

Abduction missions can't happen in countries with satellites over them. So once you cover the entire planet in satellites you will completely stop getting abduction missions (as long as you don't let any abductor UFO's through obv).

It is in fact completely possible to keep the game going forever if one so desires

WAIT

REALLY

HOLY CRAP. Satellites suddenly became ten times more important.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By BoG

@Zaccheus: I just want to add that your English is excellent. I understand what it is like to learn a second language, and it's not easy to learn to write. I'm certain that most of what I write in Spanish is incomprehensible. Your writing is superior to that of most native English speakers.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zaccheus

@RollingZeppelin: @BoG: Thanks duders.

Without sidetracking this thread too much more I'm from Finland so Finnish is my native language. I'm glad I don't have to learn that, it's a pretty difficult language with all the inflecting going on. Although it is fairly logical language compared to English which seems to like setting rules and then breaking them in every turn.

I've actually learned at least 60% of my English through osmosis by watching TV, movies and playing games. I was really bad at languages in school and I still don't know much about grammar rules and whatnot. I just go by ear. If it sounds right I go with it, I don't know why. I could never teach anyone else since I don't know the reason for anything. I never could pick up Swedish which is also mandatory in school. I barely scraped by.

I still can't talk for shit. I have a lot of trouble with pronunciation, never gotten much practice with that. It's a horrible feeling when you know in your head exactly what it should sound like, but your mouth just can't make it happen. Makes you feel inept and incapable. Like you are not in control of your own body. That makes me scramble through my brain for words that I can pronounce and makes all conversations pretty awkward. I work at a library right now and have gotten some good practice recently so that's nice...

tl;dr: never mind, nothing to see here, move along please.

ShaneCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaneCase
    @RVonE Hahaha
    ShaneCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaneCase
    @Zaccheus Yeah I didn't even notice it , it seems good to me . (your english)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.