Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Perfect Panic

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kortex

Has anyone ever completed a terror mission without losing any civilians? I still lost a single one in my best run.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Karkarov

Nope, best I have ever done is only losing one. Some of the civies are always literally right beside enemy spawn points, there isn't much you can do to save them in that situation.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I think it might be impossible. The maps are too big for your guys to run all the way across and still be able to shoot.

There's a reason losing 4 is still considered excellent.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yes, once.

You have to get lucky with map size, enemy positioning, civilian positioning, combat rolls etc.

I got a terror mission on my first play through very very early on so there were only 3 crysalid groups total i think, on a very small map, I bum rushed the map, they all trained to me instead of civilians and my well equiped assaults tore them apart with shotguns.

Never happened again.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mason

There's no achievement or in-game reward for getting zero civilian casualties, just for getting an rating of excellent. You can lose a few civies and still get the best rating so obviously they don't expect anyone to get a perfect run.

There's no incentive from the game, but I'm sure gamers will try for the sake of personal pride. I'm sure it's possible if the random elements line up just right.

Edit: I think I almost had a chance once. On a mission with mutons and berserkers, my first soldier aggro'd one group on his first step. That group somehow alerted all of the other groups and like a domino effect, I had all 10 enemies on me. Now, if my 2 snipers got double-tap, and my heavy was able to attack twice, it was theoretically possible to wipe most of them out in turn one. Then hope that the few surviving aliens decided to focus on me instead of civilians. But that's not the way I actually played it. I just focused on keeping my soldiers safe.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

I know someone that has; I have no idea how though. Whenever I've done terror missions, there's always one or two that just die before I can really do anything D:

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zaccheus

Once. I just got lucky when all the enemies just attacked me immediately and I killed them fast. Basically it was a small map where I dashed in with my assault and all the Crysalids in the map rushed him and I killed them with the rest of my guys. I think it was one turn, maybe two.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By BoG

@Tennmuerti said:

Yes, once.

You have to get lucky with map size, enemy positioning, civilian positioning, combat rolls etc.

I got a terror mission on my first play through very very early on so there were only 3 crysalid groups total i think, on a very small map, I bum rushed the map, they all trained to me instead of civilians and my well equiped assaults tore them apart with shotguns.

Never happened again.

I had the same thing happen. First terror mission in my first playthrough, the only time I've ever had a perfect run. It was on a tiny map, and all the chrysalids spawned near my soldiers.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By morningstar

Yes, I've had 18 of 18 rescued.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kerned

I've never lost a civilian.

Hahahahahahahahaha... just kidding.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By JasonR86

@kortex:

Yep. The first three or four versions of those missions went really well. But it was because the enemies I faced were no match for how I had leveled and so I was able to dash to civilians without much consequence. The last version of these missions I did I got 11/18 civilians because the enemies were tougher and the map design kept me from advancing very quickly.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scrawnto

It's extremely unlikely. I even saw an enemy take a shot at a civilian, the "Missed" thing flashed, and the civilian died anyway, so you can't even rely on misses to help you out.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @BoG

@Tennmuerti said:

Yes, once.

Never happened again.

I had the same thing happen. First terror mission in my first playthrough, the only time I've ever had a perfect run. It was on a tiny map, and all the chrysalids spawned near my soldiers.

Is their any reward to saving everyone?? My guess is no but I'm just curious. You know shits bad when you save 10/18civilians and the game considers that good
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Terramagi

@Sackmanjones said:

@BoG

@Tennmuerti said:

Yes, once.

Never happened again.

Is their any reward to saving everyone?? My guess is no but I'm just curious. You know shits bad when you save 10/18civilians and the game considers that good

If you get an excellent rating it drops panic on that entire continent by 3 or 4 because everybody's like "holy shit that dude just fucking rocked those aliens' shit".

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @mason said:

There's no achievement or in-game reward for getting zero civilian casualties, just for getting an rating of excellent. You can lose a few civies and still get the best rating so obviously they don't expect anyone to get a perfect run.

There's no incentive from the game, but I'm sure gamers will try for the sake of personal pride. I'm sure it's possible if the random elements line up just right.

Edit: I think I almost had a chance once. On a mission with mutons and berserkers, my first soldier aggro'd one group on his first step. That group somehow alerted all of the other groups and like a domino effect, I had all 10 enemies on me. Now, if my 2 snipers got double-tap, and my heavy was able to attack twice, it was theoretically possible to wipe most of them out in turn one. Then hope that the few surviving aliens decided to focus on me instead of civilians. But that's not the way I actually played it. I just focused on keeping my soldiers safe.

Yes there is an achievement. 
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Shit, I kill the civilians myself if it'll splash aliens and/or stop them from getting zombified

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mason

@The_Laughing_Man: What's the achievement called? I'm reading over the steam achievements, but I don't see one for saving all civilians. Just one for getting an excellent rating, which not all civilians need to survive for.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @mason said:

@The_Laughing_Man: What's the achievement called? I'm reading over the steam achievements, but I don't see one for saving all civilians. Just one for getting an excellent rating, which not all civilians need to survive for.

I thought you needed them all to live. How many need to live then? 
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Terramagi

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mason said:

More than 75% have to live.

So 15/18.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Terramagi said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mason said:

More than 75% have to live.

So 15/18.

Damn. I keep getting like 14/18. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By rjayb89

That's weird. I've gotten 14 out of 18 civilians out of there alive and I have the achievement to prove it. It unlocked on that mission, which had a Cyberdisc and a few Chryssalids up in it. Two dudes turned into zombies and two dudes got shot by the drones flanking the Cyberdisc.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Shit, I kill the civilians myself if it'll splash aliens and/or stop them from getting zombified

Many a civilian died to my rocket launcher fire into large groups of enemies.

Fuck it when i'm facing 2 cyber discs and 4-5, crysalids on classic ironaman at the same time a few civilians are acceptable collateral damage, in order for everyone not to fucking die civilians included.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By haggis

Jeeze, I haven't even been trying to save everyone. When it comes to losing a few civvies or one of my soldiers, the soldier comes first. I've had maybe 12-13 saved on a good run. Nearly every time I've had a civvie die in the first round. I guess you have to get lucky.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#24  Edited By Mnemoidian

@The_Laughing_Man: 14/18 was good enough for me.

Here's a screenshot of when I got the "As a Scalpel" achievement.

@mason: It's just "As a Scalpel", getting excellent in all categories on a terror mission.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Mnemoidian said:

@The_Laughing_Man: 14/18 was good enough for me.

Here's a screenshot of when I got the "As a Scalpel" achievement.

@mason: It's just "As a Scalpel", getting excellent in all categories on a terror mission.

I Just got it. Face rolled like 20 elite floaters. 
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

Kind of a funny aside.

Once during a terror mission I had a heavy floater teleport way behind my dudes and it just started smoking all the saved civilians waiting at the extraction zone. Talk about being a dick.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Nux

Nope. I did manage to save someone once.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.