Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

What are the benefits to adding new scientists?

MJones916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MJones916

The game doesn't make it clear. I'm at a position where I could either get extra scientists, money, or a new Captain depending on which abduction mission I take. Help, y'all?

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sumbog

I believe you need a certain amount of scientists to research certain stuff, and the more you have, the quicker research is. I think the later is true, but the former I have little confidence about. But either way, the more the better, theres gotta be a reason.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karkarov

Like said the more scientists you have the faster you complete research. Also there are some items that do require a certain number of scientists to start. If you are into the meta game aspect there is also an achievement for having 80 scientists.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By golguin

I'm currently in the endgame and always choose engineers over everything until you have like 50 of them. Then you go with the money until you have more than you know what to do with as you should be building as many workshops as you can on the right side of the base. Power should always be ahead of your construction as you don't want to be limited through that.

Scientists will come as you launch your sats. New people should be your last option. Panic reduction is priority unless you can use a sat to reduce it after you make the choice going for your preferred reward.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jking47

They do speed up research, but you will not need the speed boost very much. Depending on your situation, I would take the money or the Captain if you are having trouble in missions.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

Faster research. That's it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Karkarov said:

Also there are some items that do require a certain number of scientists to start.

No. There are no minimum requirements for research.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By golguin

I should point out that I currently have about 60 scientists and nothing left to research and I only built one lab. I can potentially start the endgame now, but I'm going to keep playing until I have the weapon fragments to build everything in the foundry. At this point it's just avoiding the end and a lack of scientists was never a problem.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karkarov

@Tennmuerti said:

@Karkarov said:

Also there are some items that do require a certain number of scientists to start.

No. There are no minimum requirements for research.

*head scratch* Could swear I saw that somewhere. Maybe it was engineers for foundry projects.

MJones916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MJones916

Damn, you guys are helpful. :) Australia's the one whose panic reduction will rise to 3 if I don't help, and they'll offer 200. I think I'll take that. I'm damn near broke. Personnel isn't a problem; funds are.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By kindgineer

@Karkarov: I'm pretty sure you need a certain amount of scientists to build laboratories, and that's it. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ShadowConqueror

They only speed up research times. There is no Scientist requirement for research, so their only use is to decrease the time it takes to finish research projects.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ThePickle

Like everyone said, quicker research. I cracked 100 scientists and was able to do late-game research in a day or two. The captain is probably more valuable since you get new scientists at the end of each month.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.