Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

What is your preferred XCOM difficulty level?

• 71 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

As a reference, these are the differences between difficulties:

Easy

1. Base global panic starts at 0
    2. Most alien activity only raises panic by 1 in left unchecked
    3. Your soldiers have 1 bonus hitpoint
    4. Aliens are dumber, and there aren't as many of them
    5. Soldiers cost $10

Normal

1. Base global panic starts at 0
    2. Most minor alien activity raises panic by 1 in left unchecked with some events doing up to 3
    3. Your soldiers have no bonus hitpoints
    4. Aliens have their AI mostly unshackled
    5. Soldiers cost $10

Classic

1. Base global panic starts at 8 (1 per location)
    2. If unchecked alien activity causes at least 1 panic, but will often cause 2 or 3
    3. Your soldiers have -1 hitpoint
    4. All aliens receive bonuses hit hitpoints, accuracy, critical change and / or damage.
    5. Alien AI is unshackled
    6. You receive no officer training school
    7. There are even more aliens per map
    8. Soldiers cost $15

Impossible

1. Base global panic starts at 16 (2 per location)
    2. If unchecked alien activity causes at least 2 panic, but will often cause even more
    3. Your soldiers have -2 hitpoints
    4. All aliens receive bonuses hit hitpoints, accuracy, critical change and / or damage.
    5. Alien AI is unshackled
    6. You receive no officer training school
    7. There are even more aliens per map
    8. Soldiers cost $15
    huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By huser

To try things out in games like this I like going in easy. Feel out what I like and determine if what I normally like doing works at all. Then bump difficulty to max. Same way I played Mass Effect weirdly enough.

Yorkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yorkin

Do numbers 4 and 7 change between Classic and Impossible?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones

Got my ass handed to me on classic. Normal has been decent but it's starting to ramp up so ill go with that

MstrMnyBgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MstrMnyBgs

I tried on classic, and the terror missions were near impossible at the early stage with the low-ranking/poor geared soldiers. Not only do the chryssalids pose a problem at that early stage, but the zombies they create have a lot of HP and they also create more chryssalids in like 2-3 turns. So eventually it became a non-stop chryssalid factory.

After that I switched to normal, and have only lost about 3 guys in 10+ hours of play. So I wish there was a difficulty between normal and classic.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By hangedtoaster

I won't lie, I'm one of the people who has been playing on easy. I don't have that much experience with turn based strategy games and I've never played an XCOM game. This is just my first playthrough and I do intend on bumping the difficulty level up after this game. I'm slowly learning the in's and outs of tbs. I learned the hardway, when Lieutenant Sanchez got his face rocked off, when I had positioned him poorly at the doorway of a ufo

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killacam

ironman on normal... so tense

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By BoG

I've just started my second playthrough, classic ironman. I'm almost certain that my soldiers have 0 accuracy in classic mode.

Tweeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tweeg

@MstrMnyBgs said:

After that I switched to normal, and have only lost about 3 guys in 10+ hours of play. So I wish there was a difficulty between normal and classic.

I feel the same way. I Normal is just a little too easy. I'm thinking of starting one on normal and immediately tearing down the officer training school.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By TheHT

Oh god, unshackled AI?!

I haven't played much of this sort of game, so far normal's working out OK. Lots of Very Difficult missions popping up though. And since they're in high panic countries I have to go on them.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Normal, because I want to remain sane.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

Classic.

But not classic ironman yet, i'm not a masochist :P

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crusader8463

I was doing Ironman Normal for the first 20-30 hours I played the game, but I got sick and tired of BS rolls killing hours of work so I restarted and am just doing normal. I only reload when BS rolls cause me to lose a ton of work on a guy but otherwise I just let the rolls lay where they do.

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SilverBulletKY

@crusader8463 said:

I was doing Ironman Normal for the first 20-30 hours I played the game, but I got sick and tired of BS rolls killing hours of work so I restarted and am just doing normal. I only reload when BS rolls cause me to lose a ton of work on a guy but otherwise I just let the rolls lay where they do.

So you think you should just score a hit every time then? That's the whole point of the game. You might have not played the first one though.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CoverlessTech

Normal, but it's way to easy personally. My team are super soldiers that just roll through everything and there is no panic at all anywhere. I probably spent a little to much time grinding them up and getting full satellite coverage and the best gear before moving the story to far.

The ramp was a little difficult and I lost Brazil early on but since then it's all been super easy. Going to either star over on Classic or just bump the difficulty up.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By happenstance

I was going to start on Normal but Ryan scared me so much that I went with Easy.

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KirePDX

Damnit, I now feel ashamed for playing on Normal and thinking I was doing well. There goes that sense of confidence I had.

I'm far enough in that I feel like I need to change the difficulty instead of restarting.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

Normal so far. That's what I started on and it's been tough for me since I don't think I managed things very well.

EtherealSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By EtherealSlayer

Started on Classic Ironman. In six games I was only able to get to month 4 before everything fell apart. On Normal Ironman now and the game seems pretty easy, but I am still having fun.

Bio2hazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bio2hazard

Playing on Classic Ironman. Lost 2 campaigns, but this 3rd one seems like I might beat the game!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@MstrMnyBgs said:

I wish there was a difficulty between normal and classic.

I agree. I've been mostly playing on Classic Ironman, and while initially it isn't too bad, eventually I'll always just get smashed. However, dropping down to Normal feels almost too easy in comparison.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Iodine

Normal because I already have chemical depression

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm gonna play on Easy. I don't play these types of games, so I'm for sure going to suck at it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crusader8463

@SilverBulletKY said:

@crusader8463 said:

So you think you should just score a hit every time then? That's the whole point of the game. You might have not played the first one though.

No, I'm sick when 4 point blank shots with 95% hit miss in a row while every single enemy shot from literally across the entire map hit for full damage and crit. If it happened once or twice that would be fine, but not that badly. I also find your attempt at trying to belittle me by implying that I never played the original very pathetic.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By HH

i'm playing normal / ironman, and loving it, deaths, panic n'all.

also, i yell bullshit almost every time i die in every game i play, but i know it's not actually bullshit. fuck all that dirty reloading.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

@Chaser324 said:

@MstrMnyBgs said:

I agree. I've been mostly playing on Classic Ironman, and while initially it isn't too bad, eventually I'll always just get smashed. However, dropping down to Normal feels almost too easy in comparison.

It would be nice to customise difficulty levels, as in, being able to choose various aspects from each difficulty; having no officer training school in higher difficulty seems a bit silly.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I beat the game on normal, and it's a bit too easy. I then went ahead and started a game on Classic... The jump in difficulty is pretty dramatic, and I feel like the game would be better served either making Normal harder, or making a difficulty between Normal and Classic.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mason

Normal was a bit too lenient for me. Classic suits me, but sometimes it's really fucked.

12+ missions in, I have several captains, and yet I still haven't unlocked a 5th team member slot (never seem to have the right combo of money, power or space for the training school). I'm still making do with ballistic weapons. The encounters seem to get more difficult over time, even if I don't advance the story. So my tactical skills can only take me so far. I need to unlock better tech, but it's slow going.

I did drop it temporarily to normal difficulty once, but failure was NOT an option and that mission was near impossible given my situation. It was my first terror mission full of crysalids hiding in a populated area that was hard to reach. A perfect zombie->crysalid factory. With only soldiers with regular ballistics, and no healthy assault class remaining (now my preferred class for crysalids) I just got overrun with zombies within a few turns.

At least I learned my lesson about being prepared for the worst. Haven't reloaded or gone back to normal since.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoG

@ArbitraryWater said:

I beat the game on normal, and it's a bit too easy. I then went ahead and started a game on Classic... The jump in difficulty is pretty dramatic, and I feel like the game would be better served either making Normal harder, or making a difficulty between Normal and Classic.

This is how I feel. I've had more trouble with the first few missions in Classic difficulty than I did with the final few missions in Normal. I'm slowly getting the hang of it, though.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By J12088

Normal ironman. Difficulty is right for me and I'm having fun. If this game is anything like civ the higher difficulties will just annoy me.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scrawnto

@crusader8463: To be fair, there is a 1 in 160,000 chance of that happening (0.000625% to be exact). That sounds small, but this game has certainly sold more copies than that, and there have likely been multiple chances for such situations for each. It's nearly a certainty that it would have happened to a number of people (or one person multiple times, even). Just bad luck that it happened to be you. Two misses out of four at 95% to hit for each has a much higher chance of 1.35375%, and one miss has a likelihood of 17.1475%. Actual BS would be if they fudged your rolls upwards as you missed multiple times in a row so that kind of streak couldn't happen. Is that what they should have done?

(Edit: By the way that last question isn't sarcasm. I know a bunch of DMs for tabletop games will cheat the numbers a bit to make the players feel better or keep them from dying in a silly way.)

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By konig_kei

Started on normal, felt basses ripping everything up until the alien base assault thing. My best units so close to finishing then BAM 3 mutons that all my attacks missed for 2 turns and sectoid commander took one of my unit and flanked my guys. Fun game.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ervonymous

I have no previous X-COM experience but still went with classic ironman. I'm treating it like a roguelike right now, I'm on my sixth game and for the first time the dice have rolled in my favor at all... Brazil, no, I just gave you guys a satellite!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35  Edited By JasonR86

I've been playing on Normal. This is my first X-Com game and, seeing as how I'm really bad at strategy games, I figured it wouldn't do me any good to play on anything harder. That said, I'm doing pretty well. I'm a few missions past the first council report and have only lost 3 soldiers and got a grade of A.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zaccheus

I started with easy on ironman. I wanted to play with ironman, since it just brings in tension that wouldn't be there otherwise (even if you don't load you always know it's an option), but I didn't want to get fucked immediately. I have been doing pretty well I'm currently building the hyperwave beacon thingimabib and have lost one soldier.

I feel like my double tap plasma sniper is a bit OP thought. I just leave it in the back and when enemies come she usually wipes two of the out immediately. I'm guessing that on a harder difficulties I wouldn't have 95% hit chance and more aliens would have enough hit points to survive a shot. It's still getting harder and combined with ironman I feel like it's the perfect difficulty for my first run.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Moonshadow101

This is the sort of game where I'd really prefer if there was some way to set the difficulty for different parts of the game separately. I like the extra tension in the combat on Classic, but I find the added amounts of panic in the out-of-combat portion to be annoying. In fact, the added pressure in that particular part of the game is really hurting my experience in Classic difficulty, even if the actual missions are much more fun. I'm probably going to end up throwing away my current classic campaign and starting an Ironman/Normal one instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy because I suck.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lost_Remnant

I went with normal and no ironman. I've never played any of the XCOM games so I'm not experienced with the punishing difficulty of the series and want my first time through to be manageable. I am thinking about starting over and at least doing Normal Ironman though, since I get the Fire Emblem paranoia of "oh god if he dies, he dies for good!" and sometimes reload. Man, this game is so much fucking fun though. I got this a couple of days after Dishonored and mind you it was one my most anticipated games of the year but now I think almost exclusively about XCOM. Dishonored is great but something about this game really gets its hooks into me and isn't letting go. So, so much damn fun.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Seppli

After losing the Battle for Earth on Ironman Classic twice within two days, I opted for Ironman Normal, and so far it's been pretty much perfect for me - all my hard earned strategies for Classic are paying off double on Normal - right now I'm ontop of the world - though knowing XCOM, things will get much more dire quickly - just hoping I'll be ready for it.

On classic mode, I couldn't stand how unfairly accurate enemies are - and the whole shooting through cover thing... nah - Classic doesn't work for me, it's just the unfair kind of difficulty (revving up passive combat stats to ridiculous levels and extra punitive metagame rules), rather than more aggressive tactical and strategical AI with a moderate stats advantage (if at all, I'd rather go for 'more' enemies).

Ironman is awesome all around though. Puts me on the edge of my seat, even if nothing actually happens. A real nailbiter - this one.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seppli

@BeachThunder said:

@Chaser324 said:

@MstrMnyBgs said:

It would be nice to customise difficulty levels, as in, being able to choose various aspects from each difficulty; having no officer training school in higher difficulty seems a bit silly.

You can build it, but really everything's so super thight on Classic, the margin for error is close to zero. And you'll have to be willing to let things go. A lot of things. Because if you waste your ressources on lost causes, the fight's already lost. On classic, you can't save everyone.

I'd totally dig Classic difficulty, if it wasn't for the aiming shennanigans going on in that mode. My veteran snipers were getting outgunned by pretty much any alien unit in the field - that's not right. Dunno if I'll give Classic Ironman another go, when I beat Normal Ironman - because it's kinda bogus difficulty.

And yes - I'd love more indepth difficulty customization too.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

I'm on Normal, which I'm finding just right for me - good enough that I feel great when an Op goes well and the squad gets through okay, but encounters always feel dangerous enough, like their on the knifepoint of suddenly having a large amount of excrement hit the proverbial fan. I never thought I'd try Ironman mode, but so far I might as well have been on it considering I've not reloaded - even after things went bad in the first Terror mission and I lost two of my troops, a Sergeant and Lieutenant, to those bastard Chrysalids. 

I think so far the only time I'm going to consider reloading a save is if my Sniper, Major Dominick 'Eyes' Cordier of South Africa, dies. He's been with me for 10 missions, every one since the tutorial, and racked up 25 kills so far. I consider him my unofficial second in Command of XCOM, and I may just suffer a psychotic break if he bites it!

Dapupeteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dapupeteer

im ironmaning on impossible already on my 25th restart i think i have a problem

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I played through about half the game on normal. I got to a point where it stopped being fun and just got ridiculously difficult. I started over and am pretty close to the end on easy. I have found the game infinitely more enjoyable this way.

Yalbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Yalbit

Knowing that this is a game I'm going to play through a few times I started out on easy to get a feel for things, and because I read that even easy was difficult. I'm finding easy to be just that so I'm aiming to play on normal the next time and hopefully work up to the hardest.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By HH

i'm coasting on normal right now, stepping it up to classic as soon as i get to the end. ironman all the way. sweet game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tennmuerti

After finishing a classic game last week, I just started a new one again classic but this time with ironman.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I haven't played the game, but Classic seems like my first choice.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49  Edited By ElCapitan

@Yorkin: It's just more than the bump from Normal to Classic.

Pixeldemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pixeldemon

Playing Normal Ironman. I think that re-loading completely destroys the tension and difficulty of the game. You are supposed to lose veteran squad-mates sometimes, that is where most of the game's difficulty comes from.

Once I beat this game I will attempt Classic ironman (and probably end up playing it as a rogue-like for a while)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.