Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Within

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 12, 2013

The standalone expansion pack for XCOM: Enemy Unknown adds cybernetic soldiers and aliens, along with new multi-player maps.

Xcom Enemy Within: I am Ironman!

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just finished X-com:EW on ironman mode. What a feeling of accomplishment.

I usually feel compelled to have 'perfect' games, and am constantly going back in time via old saves in Civilization and Xcom. Ironman mode disallows this, and makes accept you losses and move on.

When my best soldier, Martha "Brickhouse" Washington, bled out just moments before victory vs the overseer, it just made the ending more poignant.

Now I guess I wait for the new Alpha Centauri Civ:Beyond Earth to be released.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Congrats. Great games.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By twigger89

I've been trying to do this recently on classic and I keep getting stomped, even though I did well in xcom enemy unknown. Got any good tips to pass along?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Having only played XCOM: Enemy Unknown and hearing about your soldier bleeding out in the last mission has given me goosebumps. I probably should pick up Enemy Within at some point.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Duder. Excellent!

This, of course, reminds me that I need to play X:EW...

But, but, I'm just starting a co-op Divinity: Original Sin game with my wife - and that's, what? 50 to 80 hours?, urgh.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been trying to do this recently on classic and I keep getting stomped, even though I did well in xcom enemy unknown. Got any good tips to pass along?

Sure, I have some tips.

Setup -

1. DO NOT turn on Damage Roulette. Its too unpredictable and unfun without multiple saves.
    2. TURN ON "Not Created Equally" - and then dismiss your recruits with bad stats once you start hiring new recruits.

Early Game

1. Go for the steam vents for Geothermal energy
    2. Don't give out all the medals. You will need them in the endgame.

Midgame

1. Bring a rookie on small scout downings, let them get the kill and advance
    2. Try to spend less on weapons, more on armor. You can get weapons from Exalt/alien forces, but not armor. Use your Arc Zapper thingie.

Endgame

1. Protect your Psionic soldiers. Get them a second heart or regen. have them carry a health pack maybe.
    2. overweight on snipers.
    3. All soldiers must have high will or mind shields.
    4. the whole squad should be gene modded for final mission.
    5. MECs are dangerous on final mission. Cant be psioinic, can't carry mind shields, can be turned against you too easily

Good luck, duder!

PS: XCOM board game coming! need more RL geek friends!

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@oneloneclone: Congrats, duder!

If you're in the mood for more XCOM, I highly recommend the Long War mod. Among other things, it features 8 soldier classes, new perks and an overhauled tech-tree.

The aliens also have their own tech-tree and research, which can be hindered by successful ground ops. Soldiers become fatigued after missions and the air game is significantly tougher (and features new UFOs). In short, Long War gives you plenty more avenues for impact on the game, and each decision carries weight.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Picked up the bundle on Steam the other day (I already owned Enemy Unknown on 360). Any tips on build queue etc? (Probably my weakest part, but I think it's really the most important). I've started a couple of Ironman campaigns, looking to go through on Classic. I've gotten a few missions in and had some things go pear shaped so I restart rather than delay the inevitable. I have a basic idea of where I want to build things and roughly what I want to build.

I don't have any real idea regarding gene mods or MECs

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played this game and beat it when the week it came out along with Dishonored. This was right between jobs and inbetween moving out of my friend's apartment with my wife, and these two games really carried my mood in that time. I didn't really touch it since then.

Although I will never try hard or iron man, I will buy Enemy Within and give the regular game another whirl. I commend you for beating it on Iron Man

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Stuck at home and recovering from a surgery, I felt the urge to finally try the expansion content.

This time, I felt brave enough for Ironman. Now that I've experienced it, it's the only way I'll ever play. This is coming from a life-long save scummer.

Ironman has been scary and stressful, but the highs are so worth it. I almost wanted to quit and restart when in the mid-game, I had 5 bad missions in a row where all of my veterans were systematically wiped out. It felt pointless to keep going. Because I had not prioritized scientists, all I had were rookies with basic armor and basic weapons. Not where you want to be when the base invasion mission comes around. I regretted wasting so much effort on MECs and Gene soldiers, when that stuff wasn't needed in the early game.

I decided to just see things through, toughen up and bear witness to my complete downfall. Instead I found out that the game is balanced to give the illusion of impossible. It's actually very possible to come back from this. Apparently I had built my base well enough that I still had options. From then on I prioritized armor, then beam weapons (which I always skipped in Enemy Unknown) and suddenly my rookies started to survive.

Since then, I've lost only 2 vets (some close calls), and getting close to the end I have 8 colonels and a dozen others who are lieutenant or better. Despite that earlier setback, my crew is kind of OP.

Definitely moving up to classic next time. Or that Long War mod.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.