Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 29, 2015

Xenoblade Chronicles X from MonolithSoft is an open-world action RPG about humanity escaping the destruction of Earth and fighting off their attackers with transforming mechs on an alien planet. It is the spiritual successor to Xenoblade Chronicles.

Xenoblade Chronicles runs like crap, or am I missing something?

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fracture

I really wanted a game for my Wii U that ran well and thought this would be the game so I picked it up.

After buying it and taking forever to download I played WoW on my PC... after several hours of downloading I finally got to play it and nearly threw up. Not talking about the graphical quality because it's what I expected but turning the camera, oh my god turning the camera..... It made me sick and made it hard to play. The amount of just laggy dropped frames turning the camera everywhere is near intolerable. And to clarify it's just when turning the camera. Moving forward is fine, Turning is vomit inducing.

Am I alone here or does this game stutter like crazy when compared to a PC game? Mario maker and bayonetta didn't stutter like this (my only Wii-U comparisons). I want to love this game but I haven't gotten past the first level's worth of content and can barely stand it.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Did you buy a disc version, and if so did you download the extra High Speed Data Loading Packs? They were recommended for a better experience, might be that loading assets from the disc is what's causing the choppiness.

To be clear, I don't own this game, though I most probably intend to in the near future.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Viqor

@fracture: Not sure why you might be having problems. Game runs at a rock-solid 30 FPS 99% of the time for me. By default the camera control is extremely sluggish, but you can change it in the controls.

edit: took out info on disk version

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hugh_jazz: he said he downloaded it so i assume he didn't got the disc version

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quantris

I haven't gotten the game yet so not totally sure (I'll have it tomorrow) but based on videos of others' experiences, what you're describing is not normal.

Are you running off the internal memory or on an external? If the latter maybe that external is acting up. Either way it's worth contacting Nintendo about this (though if they do fix it, you'll probably end up without console for a week or so). They were quite good about replacing my original Wii when it started having graphical glitches. I was out-of-warranty but they only charged $50 incl. S&H to replace it, I sent the old one in, they transferred everything, and I received the replacement unit about a week later.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LeStephan

Turning the camera a lot in this game makes me a little sick too, not sure whats causing it. Only other gamecamera that ever made me nauseous was Final Fantasy type0 HD.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the download version. So here's the end of it all... games running OK now but I still wouldn't call it good... what I was seeing earlier was this: (excuse my dumb angry rambling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNjGHwqg_0M

So it was skipping a lot of frames when you pushed the right stick slightly in a direction. The camera didn't smoothly rotate. It kind of jumped as if you are looking at bad GIF of a game and not a game.

SO I turned off my Wii-U and waited for the controller to fully recharge and tried again. It's better. It's now like a bad gif that at least has all the frames it should. SO when rotating it still feels like you are losing frames of animation or like you are playing old FPS games on a PC and using the keyboard to control the panning of the camera... So it's more tolerable now but I still wouldn't call this good.

As a heads up, other than Nintendo games on the Wii-U I'm more accustomed to playing games on the PC where even when It's 30 or less FPS at least didn't have this odd jumping that was a little sickening.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

It runs fine for me, only time the framerate took a hit was in a cutscene with an explosion. So this is really odd.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Neurogia

I suggest going into the options for the game and changing the speeds of the camera movement. It was way too slow for me by default.

edit: After watching the video you linked to about your issue, I can't help but ask myself why you're playing it in the first-person. Furthermore, it looks like whoever is controlling the camera is doing those jerking maneuvers on purpose. However, if that's really the game doing those really bad camera movements, then you may have a few corrupted files from the download. I would suggest deleting it and re-downloading the game.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the camera set high so it wasn't 1st person but my character was way down at the bottom of the screen. In general after slowing down the camera turn speed the game's better but still feels off, but no where near as bad as it was earlier.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ViciousReiven

It looks like you somehow zoomed the camera in too far, maybe it's having trouble with sensitivity because it's so close in?

Next time you boot it up hold L and move the right stick forward or backward to adjust camera distance, if that doesn't help then it may be a streaming issue??

Do you have it installed to the Wii U's internal memory or an external drive? If the latter, what kind, usb or an HDD?

For what it's worth I haven't seen anything like this in 18+ hours, it's been rock solid 99% of the time.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's on the internal meory. I re-set it back to defaults and it runs better but stuff in the distance looks blurry when you turn. Maybe that's how it's supposed to run but after years of games like WoW, Guild Wars, and the like I never had this kind of problem on the PC.

In general the performance feels like if I was running a PC game on the minimum required specs.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By Forcen

@fracture: Seen the quicklook? Is it worse? Or the same rather?

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused, are you saying the motion blur in general is a problem, or that this game's motion blur is somehow causing performance problems?

It is supposed to blur a smidge when turning, however it shouldn't be dropping frames when it does it.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine for me. I did increase the camera turn speed though. But it's smooth as better frame rate wise.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever I turn it feels like watching a blurry slideshow, not a normal turn.. .again lowering my turn speed has helped this but it still feels blurry. Also lowering the turn speed makes the game feel sluggish. The blur is mildly frustrating and just makes the game look poor to me. I'm not 100% certain it's dropping frames. Essentially the way it seems to handle "faster turning" seems off.. Instead of turning faster it just jumps to a different point in the turn...

Example. Imagine looking forward is 0 percent and looking right is 90 percent of a full 360 turn. If slow turning is on it will take 3 seconds to show you that full 90 degree turn. during that you don't see all 90 degrees of the turn but you see enough for it to be ok.. If you turn on fast turning, it takes less time and you see even less of those 90 degrees. Enough that it looks like it's dropping frames as it's really just showing you parts of that turn and not the full turn. Hopefully that makes sense?

I've played other games that let you change the camera sensitivity but it never really felt like it was showing you less of the turn and just a faster turn.

I haven't compared it to the quicklook yet.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After looking at Austin turn a bunch in the quicklook it looks like it's jumping there too... I guess maybe I'm more sensitive to this sort of thing than others are. Or I'm just more used to playing 3d games on a PC than on a console.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ViciousReiven

@fracture said:

After looking at Austin turn a bunch in the quicklook it looks like it's jumping there too... I guess maybe I'm more sensitive to this sort of thing than others are. Or I'm just more used to playing 3d games on a PC than on a console.

Trust me I'm extremely sensitive to framerates in video games as well, so much so I'm refusing to buy either fallout 4 or Just cause 3 until I get a gaming PC, but this games runs like butter for me, unless you're super duper picky and can't stand 30FPS at all then this should be fine, again I say should because you could definitely be having a problem none of us are experiencing, as is the nature of video games.

I'm going to upload a gameplay vid to a filesharing site real quick (to bypass youtube encoding, and potentially making the footage choppier), gotta make a few cuts because it's very high quality, but it should show you how the game is supposed to look, if it doesn't look the same then you have a problem, if it DOES then it's on you and I guess you are way more sensitive.

Edit: okay give this a looksie: https://www.mediafire.com/?gz1zld69bwhu8jb

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks somewhat better. However I noticing zooming out when running around helps for some reason. Could you show me a screenshot of what your camera settings screen looks like? Also thanks for helping me with this.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I downloaded this game, and it's a smooth 30 all the way through. I don't recognize what the OP is saying on my experience. I'm playing on a downloadable version and my Wii U doesn't seem to have any issues with other games, for what it's worth. There's a ton of pop-in and visible LOD transition in the game, but framerate seems rock solid and I have no issues handling the camera.

Also, goddamn, this game is really good. Low key combat, low stakes death, just a good thing to roam around for a couple of hours while listening to a podcast or something. It's an MMO for antisocial people, which suits me just fine.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ViciousReiven

@fracture said:

That looks somewhat better. However I noticing zooming out when running around helps for some reason. Could you show me a screenshot of what your camera settings screen looks like? Also thanks for helping me with this.

Gah, I literally just now turned my Wii U off, I'll get back to you as soon as I can with my settings, I did have to mess with them a bit to get the sensitivity were I wanted it, because for some reason by default horizontal is really slow while vertical was medium, also no problem, I can be very picky about these things myself so I feel where you're coming from.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this being said I'm liking the game.. I'm not as sold on the characters or story but the gameplay and such is great.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's my camera settings:

No Caption Provided

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I may be overly sensitive to the blur effect it gives when you turn in this game then. Just made my settings the same as yours and again it's playable but looks off. I can see it's not real stutterery like I initially put forth but it's the blur it uses when you turn that is off.. It is less noticeable when I zoom out as everything is blurring at the same rate. When zoomed in things next to your character and your character don't blur at the same rate? I dunno, but I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.