Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 10, 2010

An RPG developed by Monolith Soft, for Wii and New Nintendo 3DS. Two great civilizations that live on the vast bodies of slain deities have been at war for aeons, and now with the development of a dangerous superweapon, things are finally coming to a head.

Are the characters any good?

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#1  Edited By vigorousjammer

The way I see it, the best JRPGs live or die by their characters.

I suppose the combat, gameplay, and the pacing also has something to do with it, but whatever!

Even if a JRPG has a horribly generic storyline, and a shitty combat system, I can usually get into it if it has some really great characters.

So, does anybody know what the characters are like? Are they interesting? Do they have varying personalities? Are they likable, or are the villains (if there are any) completely unlikable?

I NEED TO KNOW. o_o

modedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By modedude

The characters aren't that great, but that shouldn't put you off the game. It's got great gameplay, music and artstyle. Though the british dub does give some charm to them, except for Riki, he's just annoying.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShadyPingu

The characters aren't Xenoblade's strong point. There's just not much there. Still, they all get the job done without much of a fuss, and none of them are actively annoying, with the glaring exception of Rikki. Seriously, fuck Rikki.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

they are interesting, I think Dunban is really well done but you don't get him till later in the game even though you control him at the start of the game if that makes sense :P

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By WonderboyCoz

You guys must be high, Riki is awesome. A story-telling little creature of middle-age who is chosen to be the champion of his village because he owes said village lots of money and he must support his family? brilliant, plus his voice suits his race and personality very well.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dallas_Raines

What a bunch of jokahs!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By jacksukeru

They're all a buncha jokas really.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Draxyle

They're fairly good. They mostly start off as a little bland for a good chunk of the story, but there are a lot of big jumps for most of them in the latter half.

But yea, even as someone who loved the game, these characters are weaker than Xenosaga's characters for sure (and Persona's characters, but every JRPG is weaker than them in that regard). They're still better than most though, they've all got their fair share of charm that goes beyond your average JRPG. And none of them are terribly clichéd in any way that I can think of. It's not the game's strongest point though.

Honestly though, one of the biggest things about this game is the world itself, which can almost be described as a character of it's own. It's difficult to explain.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They're better than most JRPG's, I don't think there's any that actively make you want to punch them in the face. They all seem pretty like decent people and they're all pretty believable in their roles.

The voice acting really adds a lot to them though. It goes to show how much better a game can be when you spring for some decent voice talent.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By murisan

@WonderboyCoz: Agreed. Reminds me of the lighthearted goodness in some of Chrono Trigger/other RPGs of that era.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

The characters are fine enough. But I couldn't stand the English voices, switched that shit to Japanese immediately.

It's not that I'm a snob, I'm British myself and the English voices in that game were grating to my ears.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By redcream

The characters are nice but a tad cliched and there's a little bit of mystery involved on the story as well. Don't let the characters deter you from trying out this game.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By gla55jAw

@dekkadekkadekka said:

The characters are fine enough. But I couldn't stand the English voices, switched that shit to Japanese immediately.

It's not that I'm a snob, I'm British myself and the English voices in that game were grating to my ears.

I swapped to the Japanese voices, mostly because the lip-syncing being off was becoming really annoying. Are the English voices really that bad tho? I didn't mind them that much, and was thinking of switching back because a few people have said they give the characters more personality.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DeF

@Modedude said:

The characters aren't that great, but that shouldn't put you off the game. It's got great gameplay, music and artstyle. Though the british dub does give some charm to them, except for Riki, he's just annoying.

Riki really is terrible. When he was introduced I felt dissatisfied for the first time with this game (40-ish hours in, so that's okay). But all the other characters are pretty cool. I love how EVERYONE makes fun of Reyn and he says some stupid (=good) stuff himself. Shulk isn't really that interesting but I really like Sharla and Dunban, especially since they're older and actually have a past and significant emotional baggage. I haven't spent that much time with Melia yet but other than her stupid hair, she's cool.

So other than Riki, the mandatory mascot character, they at least shouldn't bother you :)

@gla55jAw said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

I swapped to the Japanese voices, mostly because the lip-syncing being off was becoming really annoying. Are the English voices really that bad tho? I didn't mind them that much, and was thinking of switching back because a few people have said they give the characters more personality.

I really like the British voices but I'm a foreigner, what do I know :D

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@gla55jAw said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

I'm sure they're fine for the most part, but British voices coming out of Japanese-looking characters just sounds wrong.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Dixavd

@gla55jAw said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

The Voice Acting is fine. I am English and have heard a lot of these accents before just meeting people so the the accents aren't bad. It just definitely takes a while to get used to these kinds of voices coming out of this style of game (or just how odd it is simply hear these accents in any game). And it does add quite a lot of personality to the characters - especially in combat. Some characters are just generally more memorable with them as well. Although if it is too odd for someone to hear it, it doesn't help that quite a bit of the dialogue is very cliche making it seem a bit comical. (This also means it sometimes makes some characters who would be mildly annoying anyway, even more annoying).

I would actually say if you don't really know Brittish accents very well then it will definitely add to the experience. Since I am so close to the accents though, I think it took me much longer to get used to them but it is definitely worth it once you do, especially since it not only adds depth to the main party characters but also adds more of a distinction between the races.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By gla55jAw

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@gla55jAw said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

I'm sure they're fine for the most part, but British voices coming out of Japanese-looking characters just sounds wrong.

The only time I really remember it in an RPG is in Final Fantasy XII, and I thought that was done extremely well.

@Dixavd said:

@gla55jAw said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

The Voice Acting is fine. I am English and have heard a lot of these accents before just meeting people so the the accents aren't bad. It just definitely takes a while to get used to these kinds of voices coming out of this style of game (or just how odd it is simply hear these accents in any game). And it does add quite a lot of personality to the characters - especially in combat. Some characters are just generally more memorable with them as well. Although if it is too odd for someone to hear it, it doesn't help that quite a bit of the dialogue is very cliche making it seem a bit comical. (This also means it sometimes makes some characters who would be mildly annoying anyway, even more annoying).

I would actually say if you don't really know Brittish accents very well then it will definitely add to the experience. Since I am so close to the accents though, I think it took me much longer to get used to them but it is definitely worth it once you do, especially since it not only adds depth to the main party characters but also adds more of a distinction between the races.

Looks like I'm going to switch back to English and see how it goes. It didn't seem odd to me, voice wise, like I said, the lip-sync being off was my biggest problem. I'll give it another go.

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By freewilly5

For a JRPG? Yeah.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Dixavd

@gla55jAw said:

Looks like I'm going to switch back to English and see how it goes. It didn't seem odd to me, voice wise, like I said, the lip-sync being off was my biggest problem. I'll give it another go.

Definitely do. Just expect it to be weird when someone says "Hom Hom" or "Homs" (especially when the Nopon says it). lol

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By qawsed

"This is going to be the modern JRPG that I really enjoy! I'm not going to give up! I'm going to get invested in this thing" I promised myself. But, ooo boy. I'm only four hours in and I'm doubting my commitment. The combat and systems seem really promising, but...

When the Playstation 1 came out, developers wanted to push the hardware and create sweeping epic sagas. But what they created were breathy, saccharine soap operas. They had turned the purple prose up to 11. Xenoblade, and a lot of JRPG, are still stuck in that mindset. The tone just doesn't work for me. When entertainment tries too hard to be epic and grand it backfires and feels phoney. Sometimes character just need to play it cool instead of being in constant wide-eyed awe or snarling anger. The game has me pining for Persona 5.

Prismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Prismatic

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@gla55jAw said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

I had the same problem. A JRPG with British dudes kinda weirded me out lol.

I switched about 5 hours. Turned them back after around 80 hours and heard Rikis voice for the first time and immediately went to Japanese again.

I can see why some dudes would hate Riki with his English voice but playing in Japanese I think he is the best character :D As for the rest of the crew, everyone is pretty cool except for Shulk who seems a bit bland.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel

@qawsed said:

"This is going to be the modern JRPG that I really enjoy! I'm not going to give up! I'm going to get invested in this thing" I promised myself. But, ooo boy. I'm only four hours in and I'm doubting my commitment. The combat and systems seem really promising, but...

When the Playstation 1 came out, developers wanted to push the hardware and create sweeping epic sagas. But what they created were breathy, saccharine soap operas. They had turned the purple prose up to 11. Xenoblade, and a lot of JRPG, are still stuck in that mindset. The tone just doesn't work for me. When entertainment tries too hard to be epic and grand it backfires and feels phoney. Sometimes character just need to play it cool instead of being in constant wide-eyed awe or snarling anger. The game has me pining for Persona 5.

Not really. At least, not to the extent you seem to suggest. The characters have for the most part been fairly down to earth. Shulk is a likable protagonist, and the other characters are all entertaining in their own right as well.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainCharisma

More games need British accents! Really enjoying the game even though I'm only 4 hours in.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Sooty

You guys think this game has a bad-ish dub at times, with all the space British?

At least it's not this bad, English dub of Yakuza:

Original Japanese in Yakuza 3 (~30 seconds, or skip to the end)

It was painful playing the first game with that dub.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By Hector

Characters are great, funny thing is I find everybody else more interesting than the main character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.