Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 10, 2010

An RPG developed by Monolith Soft, for Wii and New Nintendo 3DS. Two great civilizations that live on the vast bodies of slain deities have been at war for aeons, and now with the development of a dangerous superweapon, things are finally coming to a head.

Buying the game at Gamestop without preordering

grahf14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By grahf14

Hello,

The game comes out today in the US and I lollygagged around and didn't preorder it. I'm a huge fan of the past Xeno games and even though this one isn't a lot like them I still love what I see and hear about it and I love me a good JRPG. So has anyone been able to snag the game on release day without preordering? I'd like to pick it up today if possible. Thanks.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By louiedog

Go here.

Click, "check availability."

Put in your zip code.

Call the store to make sure.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By GalacticPunt

@louiedog: Good tip.

I walked into a random Gamestop a couple hours ago and they pulled one from the back room with no problems. Of course they tried their hardest to make me pre-order Last Story, and flashed me the art book (more like art pamphlet) I could have had if I had pre-ordered Xenoblade. Whatever, we can get Last Story through Amazon and skip the song-and-dance.

So anyway, I can testify that it is very possible to walk in and buy the game today.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ducksworth

You're not missing out on much, the art booklet is more of a collectors item than anything else. All the images have been uploaded on the interbutts for a while now...also, I didn't notice this until someone pointed it out to me but the game has a reversible cover.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VierasTalo

Oh man, you're into a world of scolding as the Gamestop employees try making you regret ever being born because you didn't pre-order a game you want at the moment. They will tear you apart and drag you to hell. If you prevail, I shall salute you.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jrinswand

Use Amazon. Don't buy from GameStop.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jrinswand
    Use Amazon. Don't buy from GameStop.
    Impossible. The game is only being sold through Gamestop and through Nintendo's own online store.
    Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Hailinel: Whaaaaaaaaat. Well, I don't know what to say. I'm not a Xenoblade guy, so I can't vouch for the quality of the series, but I know that I don't like GameStop. After working there for three years, I feel qualified in making that judgment. I guess you'll just have to weigh your love of Xenoblade against your dislike of GameStop. I know which one would win in my case.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jrinswand If you don't want to support Gamestop, buy direct from Nintendo.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Hailinel said:

@Jrinswand If you don't want to support Gamestop, buy direct from Nintendo.

That's what I'm doing. I'm giving Nintendo my money.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jrinswand

I didn't know you could buy directly from Nintendo. I guess that makes sense though. And I don't care either way. I haven't had a Wii for years.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jrinswand
    I didn't know you could buy directly from Nintendo. I guess that makes sense though. And I don't care either way. I haven't had a Wii for years.
    I said you could in my first response to you. Also, it's your loss.
    Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Hailinel: LOL. Yeah, I totally missed that. Must be the meds I'm taking. Also, I'm not much of a console JRPG guy (love them on the DS), so I'm not really missing too much. I have heard great things about Xenoblade over the years though.
    grahf14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By grahf14

I got it today with no problems. I'm really getting tired of them pushing me to preorder stuff constantly. The only reason I didn't preorder it is because I immediately shut down when they start pushing me to reserve games. "Anything coming out that you..." "No"

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By laserbolts

@VierasTalo said:

Oh man, you're into a world of scolding as the Gamestop employees try making you regret ever being born because you didn't pre-order a game you want at the moment. They will tear you apart and drag you to hell. If you prevail, I shall salute you.

Or if they are like the gamestop near me they will just say yeah we have it and i'll buy it and leave.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure

Gonna be honest, I hate gamestop as much as the next guy but I did it this time for the free art book preorder bonus. It's a surprisingly high quality book for a random free thing.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Toxeia

@Jrinswand: If you want to complain about Gamestop maybe you should do it where people were actually talking about that.

I'd really recommend just calling and asking if they've got a copy to put on hold for you. Back when I bought games from retail stores that's all I did, never got any crap when I actually got into the store because I'd just say "Hey, I'm Justin. I called a bit ago, wanted you to hold onto a copy of (whatever)." They pull it from under the counter and ring me up. Maybe it helped I always made it seem as though I was in a hurry to get to a nephew's birthday party and needed a gift or something.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Have fun being ridiculed for not preordering it by whoever is working at the store.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By gla55jAw

@Jrinswand said:

@Hailinel: LOL. Yeah, I totally missed that. Must be the meds I'm taking. Also, I'm not much of a console JRPG guy (love them on the DS), so I'm not really missing too much. I have heard great things about Xenoblade over the years though.

Xenoblade is not set in the same universe as Xenosaga and Xenogears. In Japan it's called Monado (the name of the sword), it was changed over here to be symbolic since it's from the same developer that made the others, plus the gameplay is totally different.

As for finding it in GameStop, when I picked up my pre-order, the guy working there said only 8 people total pre-ordered it, so you probably have a shot of finding it in one if you go soon.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By matthias2437

So I fucking hate Gamestop, but sadly because college is expensive I find myself working at one which kills me since I'm a PC gamer and just think Gamestop is kind of shitty. But I do have to say working at one for a few months now it does seem to be a good idea to pre-order shit you might want. Like my store had 20 pre-orders for Xenoblade and only received 2 copies of the game extra. They where both gone by 12. Or if it is something that can be bought at a place that isn't Gamestop then please fucking get it there. Seriously.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@gla55jAw said:

@Jrinswand said:

Xenoblade is not set in the same universe as Xenosaga and Xenogears. In Japan it's called Monado (the name of the sword), it was changed over here to be symbolic since it's from the same developer that made the others, plus the gameplay is totally different.

As for finding it in GameStop, when I picked up my pre-order, the guy working there said only 8 people total pre-ordered it, so you probably have a shot of finding it in one if you go soon.

Actually, Monado was the game's original title during development. It was changed to Xenoblade for the actual release in Japan, and then Chronicles got tacked on for Europe/North America.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jrinswand
    @matthias2437 said:

So I fucking hate Gamestop, but sadly because college is expensive I find myself working at one which kills me since I'm a PC gamer and just think Gamestop is kind of shitty. But I do have to say working at one for a few months now it does seem to be a good idea to pre-order shit you might want. Like my store had 20 pre-orders for Xenoblade and only received 2 copies of the game extra. They where both gone by 12. Or if it is something that can be bought at a place that isn't Gamestop then please fucking get it there. Seriously.

If you work at GameStop then you should know by now that that's just how they get people to pre-order. They order one or two more copies than the number of preorders they have. They say that it's because they don't want a bunch of redundant stock, but really it's just so that they can tell despairing customers "Well, if you had preordered to begin with then this wouldn't be a problem at all." Sometimes they'll even have a couple of extra copies and refuse to sell them to people just because they didn't preorder. As I've said, I worked there for a long time. I've seen it happen. So, moral of the story: don't preorder and fuck GameStop.

Edit: Also, to the whole Xenoblade/Xenogears/Xenosaga thing: if it doesn't all take place in the same universe, then why call it "Xeno-" anything?! It's not like there aren't an infinite amount of other words they could use to describe their IP.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel

@Jrinswand said:

Edit: Also, to the whole Xenoblade/Xenogears/Xenosaga thing: if it doesn't all take place in the same universe, then why call it "Xeno-" anything?! It's not like there aren't an infinite amount of other words they could use to describe their IP.

Because of thematic similarities.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matthias2437

@Jrinswand: It doesn't really matter what the reason is on most games only getting a few more copies, most games you can just go to other stores for with no problem. I would even recommend it. BUT on the rare occasion that Gamestop happens to get an exclusive like this I would recommend that they pre-order it. And that's coming from a person that sells just as much stuff as they need to so they don't loose their job.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By murisan

@VierasTalo: Protip: turn off your ears, blankly stare into their eyes as you picture the last beautiful woman you saw naked, and when you notice their lips have stopped moving at your earliest convenience, simply ask if it's time to pay yet.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By murisan

@matthias2437: Amazon also gets games to your door the same day they release if you use Prime (and I do) for free. Gamestop? $10 for next day. Don't know if that means the day after it releases or if they make it to your door on release date. Either way, fuck that.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gla55jAw

@Hailinel said:

@gla55jAw said:

@Jrinswand said:

@Hailinel: LOL. Yeah, I totally missed that. Must be the meds I'm taking. Also, I'm not much of a console JRPG guy (love them on the DS), so I'm not really missing too much. I have heard great things about over the years though.

is not set in the same universe as Xenosaga and Xenogears. In Japan it's called Monado (the name of the sword), it was changed over here to be symbolic since it's from the same developer that made the others, plus the gameplay is totally different.

As for finding it in , when I picked up my pre-order, the guy working there said only 8 people total pre-ordered it, so you probably have a shot of finding it in one if you go soon.

Actually, Monado was the game's original title during development. It was changed to for the actual release in Japan, and then Chronicles got tacked on for Europe/North America.

Oh, thanks for the info. I read an article earlier that said it was called Monado still, I guess they were wrong.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EvilTwin
    @GalacticPunt said:

@louiedog: Good tip.

I walked into a random Gamestop a couple hours ago and they pulled one from the back room with no problems. Of course they tried their hardest to make me pre-order Last Story, and flashed me the art book (more like art pamphlet) I could have had if I had pre-ordered Xenoblade. Whatever, we can get Last Story through Amazon and skip the song-and-dance.

So anyway, I can testify that it is very possible to walk in and buy the game today.

This was my experience.  They had plenty in stock but still decided to lecture me about the value of pre-ordering.  He told me to pre-order the Last Story because it was "by the same guys."  I proceeded to nod and smile and he still wouldn't let it go.  

Also, someone delivering pizza to the employees came in right as I was about to leave.  The employees didn't give him a tip so I gave him my change from the transaction (I paid in cash).  It was both the worst and weirdest experience I've ever had at Gamestop.  Fuck that place.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By BoG

I just returned from GameStop, and was able to get a copy although I didn't preorder.. I suggest that anyone who plans to buy this and didn't preorder run to your local GameStop fast. I purchased the last copy, and the game only came out yesterday! I wonder how many copies they manufactured, because the game seems extremely limited. I can't imagine they sold more than ten copies here in Draper, Utah on the first weekend.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By mike

@BoG said:

I just returned from GameStop, and was able to get a copy although I didn't preorder.. I suggest that anyone who plans to buy this and didn't preorder run to your local GameStop fast. I purchased the last copy, and the game only came out yesterday! I wonder how many copies they manufactured, because the game seems extremely limited. I can't imagine they sold more than ten copies here in Draper, Utah on the first weekend.

This is just Gamestop attempting to create artificial demand again in order to sell preorders. They typically only order a small amount of copies on top of their preorder count.

"Ohhh you didn't preorder!? Yeah, we are sold out. Would you like to preorder Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2013?"

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NegativeCero

Anyone think this will be rare and stupidly overpriced after the initial run? I ask because I don't have a Wii but would get one eventually or maybe even a WiiU, so I'd get it now to avoid being overcharged.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By BoG

@MB said:

@BoG said:

This is just Gamestop attempting to create artificial demand again in order to sell preorders. They typically only order a small amount of copies on top of their preorder count.

"Ohhh you didn't preorder!? Yeah, we are sold out. Would you like to preorder Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2013?"

You're probably right. In fact, I preordered The Witcher 2 for 360, and I was a bit surprised when the clerk told me that it would be a hard game to come by without a pre-order. I don't believe that one so much. Considering that Xenoblade is GS exclusive, I can imagine it has a limited run. That being said, @NegativeCero: I'm actually really hoping that the price will go up in the aftermarket so that someday I can sell it and my copy of Suikoden 2 and get a good return. I don't totally expect that to happen with Xenoblade, though.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By sirdesmond

I walked in to a Gamestop today and picked it up.

FunkyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FunkyFox

I bought it an hour before closing today because my NOA order was still on back-order. Just make sure it's in stock ahead of time.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#35  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I jumped on Amazon tonight to order it, but they're already out. Copies from 3rd party vendors are going for over $70 a pop. Fucking crazy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

I jumped on Amazon tonight to order it, but they're already out. Copies from 3rd party vendors are going for over $70 a pop. Fucking crazy.

I thought this might happen. This is going to disappoint those that were planning to wait for a price drop.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZenaxPure

@Sparky_Buzzsaw: I'd suggest just going through Nintendo's site if you can honestly, though still sucks for everyone who didn't get the sweet art book from gamestop (even if it has spoilers every damn page).

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gla55jAw

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Amazon never had it to begin with. It is a GameStop and Nintendo.com exclusive.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Turambar

This actually was the first time I had the clerk try to push another pre-order on me (Last Story).  It's almost always the same clerk I buy games from at the local Gamestop and he's never even asked before, so it must be a company wide initiative to push for Last Story.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#40  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@gla55jAw: Oh, okay. Thanks for that. That seems super bizarre, but at least it's still available through Nintendo.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gla55jAw

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

@gla55jAw: Oh, okay. Thanks for that. That seems super bizarre, but at least it's still available through Nintendo.

Yeah, that's why those jerks have it for $70+ on Amazon. I'd pick it up soon though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.