Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 0

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2015

A prequel to the original Yakuza set in 1988, featuring a young Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima as dual playable protagonists.

Komeki's Annihilation Arts: What am I doing wrong?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I somehow passed this training by sheer luck. I can't seem to get the parry to reliably trigger. The abilities subscreen says R1+triangle, the tool tip says R1+Circle, and my personal experience is that I'm pretty sure both worked??? And my heat bars were maxed out the entire time, since it was the training segment.

How can this be done reliably? Not that I'm good enough to recognise and apply it, but I feel like a total dope for whiffing on the training so hard.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By veektarius

r1 & circle is correct. Needs to be triggered as the enemy is in midswing with 3 heat bars and it can't be used once you're hit (i.e. can't break a combo with it). I don't see anything specifically wrong in your description of what you're doing, but the move seemed kinda pointless to me personally because I almost never go to 3 heat bars in thug stance.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: Yeah I didn't find it very helpful even at the time of the training. I'm much more a fan of Kiryu's Rush Style redirection move, since that doesn't require any heat. I'm not sure if it's something fundamentally different about Majima's style or if the enemies are somehow harder, but I am completely useless in combat with him. All of his moves feel like they have such a huge wind-up and it seems to me that he's really easily staggered. Kiryu's stances all feel very loose and dynamic in what you can do with them but with Majima, I find myself really struggling to figure out an effective strategy.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@the_nubster: For Majima: Slugger stance, Triple Square Triangle combo, win. That move takes you through the entire game on his side.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Xel

Majima's Breakdance style will make mincemeat of most enemies.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@the_nubster: Funny you say that. I don't like Thug much, but I found the other two styles way more fun than anything Kiryu had to offer (though beast is fun when you have props to play with).

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: I like Brawler a whole lot. it just seems like there are a lot more options available, especially since there seems to be a heat action for nearly every stance in Brawler. Thug feels a little more limited as a basic style and it doesn't really do anything that Slugger and Breaker don't do. Even so, I like Rush better than Breaker for the i-frame dodge weaving and the extra quicksteps you get, and Beast beats Slugger since you can make a weapon out of anything in a pinch instead of relying on a bat or whatever you have in your inventory. Assuming there's a loose sofa or moped laying around, of course.

@xel: I like the Breaker style a lot in the street fights! For the most part anyway. Sometimes the initial swings are a little slow to start up, especially from empty heat, but my real problem is that a lot of the heat actions don't feel contextually appropriate. They just kind of pop up and its hard to place where the game is going to decide a heat action belongs.

@takayamasama: I try to do that as much as I can and it does well in the basic street fights, but as soon as there's an enemy with any sort of hyper armor or heavy attack, he gets knocked down before he can get into the nunchaku swing. That's how I did all of the weapon training though, the teacher hardly even touched me.

Avatar image for shoguns_decapitator
    Shoguns_Decapitator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm feeling your pain @the_nubster been on the final Komeki art for about 20 minutes now trying to get this move down, I need 2 more times and the first was through sheer luck!

The timing window for this seems absurd.

Edit: My whinge paid off and I did it shortly after posting, still seems very difficult to pull off consistently :S

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xel said:

Actually never used that style. Seemed more like a goof then anything useful so didn't spend any points in it. Maybe i should have.

Noobsmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Majima's breakdance style is by far the most dps he can do, even single target. You'll learn to appreciate it if you ever do the later climax battles. The only thing it isn't good for is Mr. Shakedown. Hit square until your hands hit the ground then immediately start spamming triangle. On bosses i'll switch to slugger as they are getting up just to heat move them.

For kiryu his best is beast style with 3 bars of heat. You don't want to use heat moves because you get more defense with more heat (and attack? not sure).

Of course, all the styles can easily get you through the game. Those two are really broken once you learn how to use them though.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xel said:

Actually never used that style. Seemed more like a goof then anything useful so didn't spend any points in it. Maybe i should have.

That style is easily the strongest in the game. It has a huge aoe and does a ton of damage. It also stunlocks most bosses. It`s kinda broken... I`ll see myself out.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noobsmog: In my experience, Beast is the straight-up best style. As soon as you can gets your mitts on an item to swing around, the damage you can put out is insane. And once it's upgraded so the guard move has more defense and stun resistance, there's almost nothing that can really touch you, save Mr. Shakedown or a grab move. For Majima, Breaker is definitely my go-to for most fights, but if you're starting off at zero heat I can find it a little difficult to get into a combo just because of the wind-up time of the first move.

God dammit, this game is awesome. I'm getting pumped just thinking about it.

Noobsmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Noobsmog

@the_nubster Yeah beast honestly might be the most broken fighting style in all of the games.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@odinsmana said:
    @meierthered said:
    @xel said:

That style is easily the strongest in the game. It has a huge aoe and does a ton of damage. It also stunlocks most bosses. It`s kinda broken... I`ll see myself out.

This is why I don't even really use it. It's really mindless.

Thug has some cool moves but in the end I prefer all Kiryu's fighting styles to Majima's.

@noobsmog said:

@the_nubster Yeah beast honestly might be the most broken fighting style in all of the games.

For me Beast can become a bit mindless too but I love watching the Heat moves play out so I enjoy it for sure. The group Heat move in it where yous wing the guy around rules.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.