Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

How do I best catch up with the Yakura series?

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been growing ever more interested in the Yakuza series over the last year, to the point where I failed miserably to install a new HDD in my PS3 in order to enjoy the last one released in the west, but have unfortunately not been in a position to actually play any of the games as I've neither had the time nor the appropriate consoles set up. This is all looking to change when they finally, FINALLY, release the next installment on current gen.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to catch up on the series, at least in terms of the story. Can you fellas recommend me a good way of doing so, be it a good play-through, a "movie" edition someone has stitched together, or heck, maybe just some really well written summary?

Thanks in advance, and don't forget that while beating people up on the street with bicycles and swords isn't respectable, it's alright as long as you keep a zoo of cats that adore you.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 has a recap section for the previous 3 games.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Atwa
    Loading Video...

That is the summary for 1, 2 and 3 that is found in Yakuza 4.

Best would really be to watch that then play 4, then play Yakuza 5.

But it seems you will only play Yakuza 0? Which is a prequel to the Yakuza games, it all gets a bit weird.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By odinsmana

If you`re going to play 0 you might not need to catch up on the series since it`s a prequel. I have no idea what`s going on in that games story though so who knows.

Avatar image for i_speel_my_dreenk
    I_speel_my_dreenk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, too, have long felt the need to experience this series one way or another, and the Shenmue ER and recent other threads around various forums finally pushed me over the edge.

I considered the Y4 recap option, but as the consensus opinion seems to be that Y2 is amazing and possibly best-in-series, I decided to take the plunge and experience the growth of the series first-hand.

I'm most of the way through Yakuza 1 right now, playing on PCSX2, and it's sort of incredible how well it holds up. The combat feels kinda funky, certain (but shockingly few) textures are blobs at super-high res, and the voice acting is odd, if not charming - but overall, everything feels quite impressive for a ten-year-old game. It's pretty damned cool, and even funny. I'd recommend it if possible - but as these games aren't particularly short, going whole-hog won't be for everyone.

I've now got Y2-5 queued up, really looking forward to 2. Hope you find some way to enjoy 'em.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@atwa: 0 will be my actual entry to the series as my PS3 Hard-drive isn't large enough to download 5. I'd actually purchased it and was forced to return it as the download exceeds the space of the entire original PS3 memory. If I end up enjoying 0, I'll definitely pick up the remake of the first game, and then 6 once that hits the western hemisphere. 6 in particular looks fucking bonkers in a way that has me salivating. Thanks for the link, though, I'll definitely check this out and then try to figure out what to do about 4&5.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some mafia infighting happened which caused a billion yen briefcase to explode inside an exploding mafia tower. Each game involves solving said infighting with more fighting and more explosions.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started off with Yakuza 4, as odd as that may be, and it wasn't too difficult to gather all the knowledge I needed to finish the game.

I Beat Yakuza 5 last year and LOVED it, and i'm currently playing through Yakuza 3, while Hotly anticipating playing Yakuza Zero, Kiwami and 6.

Don't stress too much about where you start, you can definitely get by without having to find a PS2 for the first two games. and the Huge recap available in Yakuza 4 does a decent job hitting all the big plot points.

Sure, you'll miss quirky side stuff by skipping the first few games, such as Ryu punching tigers in the face, but you'll manage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.