Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

Who wants to see patrick play a yakuza game?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bother him at least once a month about trying yakuza 4, it's perfect for new comers don't worry. Every time he says "maybe." Now that he stepped out of the darkness, it's the perfect time to step into the neon lights of kamarocho. So sign here and maybe we can bully him into it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No, because then he'll be like us, by which I mean upset that Yakuza 5 is never getting localized and leaving Japan. Let's spare him that.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I woulddddd

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: but if it gets attention the might bring 5 out.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nah. I'm good.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: I'm not trying to troll you but my answer is actually the same to that question. It's fine if you like those games, and the quick look was fine enough, but nah I'm good.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

ALL FOUR.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: well the how do you know? It might be the best thing ever.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only if he Skypes people in. I'm not crazy about the idea of watching one dude play through a whole game.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: How do I know I don't have interest in watching him play this whole game? Because I'm not interested haha

I saw the quick look and saw enough to know I wasn't interested in the game so I never got into it. Personal taste, nothing more.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ooo oooo I would!  Patrick or Vinny would be grand!
    ooo oooo I would! Patrick or Vinny would be grand!

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq: force dave lang to play it with him

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're cool games, also remember those Kenka Bancho games? Pretty rad too. Also My Summer Vacation? I love rad, strange but still good Japanese-ass Japanese games. The PSP and Wii were solid for that last gen, PS3 was good too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love for him give that series a real shot. I could see him(and Vinny, for that matter) really liking it. I don't really care if he plays them on camera or not, we don't need to watch every time someone plays a game, but it'd be fun to hear his thoughts after playing one of them.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sega doesn't love us, so we might as well turn to GB.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@dan_citi said:

They're cool games, also remember those Kenka Bancho games? Pretty rad too. Also My Summer Vacation? I love rad, strange but still good Japanese-ass Japanese games. The PSP and Wii were solid for that last gen, PS3 was good too.

I wish Kenka Bancho had been around when I was in high school. Things would have been so much more fun if I knew how to grow a pompadour and look for fights.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By RonGalaxy

I only ever played the english version of yakuza 1. I really liked it, like a lot. The story was surprisingly captivating (for me and my teenage mind at the time, at least) and I thought the world/gameplay was great. And I've never felt like more of a badass than when I fought the endless waves of enemies in that one scripted alley sequence (I think it was in an alley) and then it cuts to a CGI movie of you walking away from like 50 dudes all on the ground in pain

Never played 2 (but it looked rad! Copies are pretty impossible to get now though..) and 3+4 always looked a bit hokey to me. The first yakuza, from what I remember, was pretty grounded in the story with maybe a few ridiculous things. 3+4 seemed way over the top. Anyway, I hope yakuza 5 gets localized because I can appreciate the fanbase's love for that series.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No thanks, I am already watching a superior Yakuza playthrough with TBFP playing Yakuza 4, Patrick should play indie games since nobody else is, that way they get some kind of exposure.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: play #4 if you liked one you'll love 4. Also it's like a dollar at gamestop now.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008: but if the world falls in love with yakuza like dark souls, we'll get 5 and that'll make pat happy.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't happen probably, but I think a Vinny and Jeff Endurance Run of 3 or 4 would be the only thing that would make me excited. The band needs to get back together. I know Jeff is busy on the business end, but he needs to do more content for the site.

And no offense to Patrick -- I love his streams -- but I think he'll be busy with Spelunky and Demon's Souls for a little while (not even counting indie and horror games).

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@nmc2008: but if the world falls in love with yakuza like dark souls, we'll get 5 and that'll make pat happy.

Nah, I don't think so, this is the same company that threw Bayonetta under a fucking bus and said fuck you non japanese regions, you're not getting PSO 2, so I wouldn't count on it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BisonHero

I feel like Yakuza is just the right kind of Japanese strange for an Endurance Run of sorts, whether they choose to call it that or not, whether it's on the site or Patrick streams it/puts it on his Youtube channel.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By crithon

hmmmm, How about Dynamite Cop or Spike out? and then realize "Wait that's where the combat is from."

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not if he is playing it by himself, no. If he has someone else then sure, one man streams tend to be a little dull.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, maybe not nessecarily on a stream or something, but he should totally play it.

Man, this just reminds me that Jeff said that he and Vinny almost did an ER of Yakuza 3. We'd probably be playing Yakuza 5 right now if they did that...Nah, who am i kidding, Sega are asses and that's never going to happen.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By roboculus92

Yeah, maybe not nessecarily on a stream or something, but he should totally play it.

Man, this just reminds me that Jeff said that he and Vinny almost did an ER of Yakuza 3. We'd probably be playing Yakuza 5 right now if they did that...Nah, who am i kidding, Sega are asses and that's never going to happen.

Yeah I think I remember Jeff saying that he was thinking about doing it but Vinny wasn't feeling it.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By sub_o

No, I want Jeff, Vinny, Rorie or Drew to play it instead, simply because it will end up funnier. Yakuza has some pretty crazy cutscenes.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll play it for ya instead. It'll surely help me when it comes to my trip to Japan this year.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Christoffer

Nope, I have no interest in watching that. The Yakuza games didn't really hook me. And on top of that, I wouldn't want GB to become a Let's Play-factory (meaning complete walkthroughs of games).

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#35  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Back when Patrick was in the office I really wanted them to do an ER where Patrick stays as the player the entire run, but Vinny, Ryan, Brad and Jeff all cycle in as the co-commentator, each joining in only for one of the characters' sections of the game (So for example Vinny would join him for Akiyama's section, Ryan for Saejima, Brad for Tanimura, and then Jeff for Kiryu). It'd both let the rest of the staff not have to do a whole Endurance Run, while also letting Patrick play a game he'd said he wanted to play anyways, plus it'd be interesting to see how cohesive each individual character's story seems to whoever was joining Patrick for that character's section of the game. And then when they got to the end of the game where all four characters team up it'd just be a five person commentary cluster-fuck.

In general I'd love to see any Yakuza content on the site, it's insane and Japanese like Persona 4 was but in a different way. Finding out about the Yakuza 3 Endurance Run that never happened bummed me out, even though I think 3 is easily the worst game in the series. Still, I can almost hear Jeff flipping out when they get to the end of the game and meet the American mafia boss who just speaks in English. Even just watching Patrick solo his way through a Yakuza game would be great though, with Sega having no interest in bringing over Yakuza games to the west the closest thing to experiencing a new Yakuza game is to watch somebody else experience a Yakuza game that's new to them. Even if he doesn't want to stream it or anything I hope Patrick plays it for himself at some point, because I'm curious what he'd think of it. It's not my favorite, but I still love Yakuza 4.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

He should play the games I tell him. Always. And stream them too. BOOOOO

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah would be great. Yakuza is a series that gets way to less coverage. It deserves so much more atention and also I want a localisation of 5....

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer: guess what gb already did turn into a lets play factory, that's all of what their premium stuff is.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Yes.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Yakuza is a game I've always kind of wanted to experience without really wanting to deal with its questionable gameplay quirks. Maybe a Let's Play is just what I need. Anyone got a recommendation for an entertaining LPer for me to watch the series through with?

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALL OF THE YES. Patrick, Vinny, Jeff or Brad. I don't care, I want!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can safely say no. I have zero interest in watching Patrick play a Yakuza game.

because they suck.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see Patrick play it, especially now that I can't finish it because my PS3 just died.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bones8677

Meh, Sleeping Dogs is better.

Open World games have come so far, that the Yakuza games are downright archaic in their world design and scope. All they are are overly long and confusing cutscenes and mindless beat-em-ups. Nothing more.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JZ

@oldirtybearon: @bones8677: well you two don't understand the difference between facts and opinions. So.....why would anyone listen to you?

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Meh, Sleeping Dogs is better.

Open World games have come so far, that the Yakuza games are downright archaic in their world design and scope. All they are are overly long and confusing cutscenes and mindless beat-em-ups. Nothing more.

You should probably play the game before judging it...just throwing that out there.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bones8677: You can't really compare them. Yakuza games are more like action rpg's with some sandbox game elements sprinkled in. Sleeping Dogs was about as generic as possible, to me.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#49  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
    @veektarius said:

Yakuza is a game I've always kind of wanted to experience without really wanting to deal with its questionable gameplay quirks. Maybe a Let's Play is just what I need. Anyone got a recommendation for an entertaining LPer for me to watch the series through with?

Two Best Friends Play are doing a pretty entertaining LP of Yakuza 4 right now. It's not a 100% playthrough so you won't see all the side-quests, but they're doing the ones they stumble across and it's been pretty good so far. It starts out with Part 0, which is them watching the recap videos for the first three games in the series, so if you want to just jump ahead to the actual game start with Part 1.

Part 0

Part 1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.