Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami coming to the west.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So during PSX they announced that Yakuza Kiwami is planned for release in the west during summer 2017 and Yakuza 6 will come to the west in early 2018. So with the Yakuza 0 western release planned for January 24th 2017 it seems like we will be getting 3 Yakuza games in just a bit over a year. Which is kind of insane since it`s not that long ago that I was super excited that we were getting a single western Yakuza release (in the form of Yakuza 5).

With Yakuza 0 being a prequel and Yakuza Kiwami being a remake of the first game (Remake not remaster, they already made a HD update of the first and second games that was released in Japan) it also means newcomers to the series will have a couple of good jumping on points.

Personally I am super excited, but I am also a little worried that so many releases in short proximity might hurt sales.

But what do you guys think? Are you excited? Is it too much Yakuza at once?

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Never enough Yakuza! I'm still hoping for a western release of Kenzan! some day...

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I've been wanting to get into the Yazuka series so 0 and Kiwami seem like great games to start with. 6 also looks really impressive but we got a while to wait until we can play that in English, although that gives me more time to play all the previous games :)

This is indeed a lot of Yazuka all at once but the West has to get caught up with Japan so it is better to get these games out now before even more entries come out in Japan. A similar thing happened to Ace Attorney and Professor Layton but those franchises turned out okay, if anything having the whole series available in English gives the franchise more opportunity to grow a dedicated fanbase that can support the series in the West.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

Definitely interested in the remake. Hopefully it's faithful 'cause I've always been curious about the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: From what I've read on it, it's an "enhanced" edition. So, it's good to the first game with extra stuff added in for those who already played it.

The only issue people have about too much at once is that 5 came out in 2012, but wasn't localized until 2015 (where Yakuza 0 was released in 2015 in Japan) and 6 is being released next week in Japan. So, about 1 a year is a fair shake. The whole wait for 5 is what makes all of this seem like too much because it compressed the timeline until Sega realized people like it in the States.

ItsaCorey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always been interested in the Yakuza series, but have never jumped in. I hope this next installment will be a good starting point.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason I had set in my mind that Kiwami was that Edo-era Yakuza game, I didn't realize it was a remake of the first game. I'll probably skip that one, but I'll definitely get 0. I really want that Yakuza samurai game though!

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play them all, but it takes me forever to get through even one of them because I like to do a little (and sometimes a lot) of everything. The only one I'll definitely be getting is 6, so that gives me some time to finish 5 and maybe one of the other new ones in 2017.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By liquiddragon
    Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: from what I saw, it's not. It's more like Majima will pop up at times to challenge ya and things like that.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BoOzak

I've already played through the first game but it might be nice to have a version without that terrible dub. (also "Majima anywhere" sounds interesting)

@peteycoco said:

Never enough Yakuza! I'm still hoping for a western release of Kenzan! some day...

That would be good, there was also another one set in that peroid but i'm blanking on the name.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi said:

For some reason I had set in my mind that Kiwami was that Edo-era Yakuza game, I didn't realize it was a remake of the first game. I'll probably skip that one, but I'll definitely get 0. I really want that Yakuza samurai game though!

That's what I thought for a min there. Shame we might never see those spin-off titles.

I started with 3 and only know of the originals from those recap videos, so I'm definitely down to play the remake.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so excited!. I'm getting 3 Yakuza in the next couple years. Incredible!

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.