Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

Yakuza Game On Wii?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

There's new Yakuza game that's been announced, what's interesting about this new game is that it features a young boy. With the PS3 due to get another game in the main series very soon now, I think there is a chance this could actually be a Wii game. The graphic style in the trailer seems to suggests something less demanding from a technical standpoint. It could be a PSN game, but I don't think so myself. I think Sega are looking to expand the audience of the series, and the best way to do that in Japan (and worldwide) would be to create a Wii title. 

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By captain_clayman

hmmmm 
    that doesn't sound like a bad idea actually.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Wagglan gamez.

I'm all up for some more Yakuza games.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

Heat moves with waggle? Hmm...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

The images make me think of some kind of DS visual novel :-P

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Yes, Sega, please more M rated wii games, those always work out for you. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @XII_Sniper said:

Actually they generally do, going by HoTD 2 & 3, and Overkill's successes (especially the latter as a cheap outsourced project to a small developer like Headstrong Games. They tend to fail when they suck like MadWorld though. Hopefully this won't suck, but again, it's purely speculation at this point.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @Al3xand3r: Last time I check House of the Dead didn't sell TOO hot. I believe it did enough to cover it's cost. Mad World was decent in my opinion. While not Sega, EA's Dead Space wii game did not do well in the slightest. So there is a precedent for M-rated games doing bad on the Wii.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @HypoXenophobia said:

" @Al3xand3r: Last time I check House of the Dead didn't sell TOO hot. I believe it did enough to cover it's cost. Mad World was decent in my opinion. While not Sega, EA's Dead Space wii game did not do well in the slightest. So there is a precedent for M-rated games doing bad on the Wii. "

Er, yes Overkill did do "too hot" so check again. Are you conveniently forgetting the whole genre was more or less dead pre-Wii, and is actually dead on the PS360? How are these games suddenly expected to do multimillions just because they're now on the Wii? And do you really think they would have sold better on the PS360 just because they're M? Why's noone making such games on those systems (rail shooters don't need to be lightgun games too)? Simple, because the audience doesn't want them, and they're only made on Wii because they want to cheap out on the development of its titles. There's more precedent of M games doing well than bad on Wii, including the HotD games, RE4, and No More Heroes which while still a non mainstream niche game was Suda51's best selling title, even considering his last gen multiplatform projects like Killer 7. Outside huge billion dollar franchises like COD or GTA or whatever, their numbers aren't far removed from your average PS360 title (Bionic Commando, F.E.A.R. 2, The Darkness, Brutal Legend,  Condemned 2, and plenty more), even though their development and marketing costs were a sad pathetic fraction of theirs. This extends beyond M rated games, age ratings don't generate sales.

In any case, this is still pure speculation and nothing tells you it's on Wii, or M rated, for now.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By rallier

Is the option that this could be for the PSP out of the picture?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:

Actually they generally do, going by HoTD 2 & 3, and Overkill's successes (especially the latter as a cheap outsourced project to a small developer like Headstrong Games. They tend to fail when they suck like MadWorld though. Hopefully this won't suck, but again, it's purely speculation at this point. "
     Oh really? I didn't even know those sold well. They were alright, but not great games. M games on the wii also feel a little forced to me.. like "OH WE'RE M ON THIS WII SHIT, LET'S TAKE IT TOO FAR, DAWG!" overcompensating.  

It's not that I'm saying it's a kiddie system (what kiddie doesn't manage to play M games anyway) I'm just saying in general M games don't seem to find financial success on the platform. A yakuza for wii could sell gangbusters in Japan though, enough for sega to just say "fuck it" and do another set of quick-to-make text only translations of the game for US and EU markets.  

Though also I think we should also start lowering our standards for sales on the wii, as it's just about as easy to pirate games for as the PC now. Takes an SD card, and an hour. Plus you get online access. It could explain why in general M games on the wii like Dead Space don't sell great. The intended M customer is probably wily enough to hack a wii. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @XII_Sniper said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

Actually they generally do, going by HoTD 2 & 3, and Overkill's successes (especially the latter as a cheap outsourced project to a small developer like Headstrong Games. They tend to fail when they suck like MadWorld though. Hopefully this won't suck, but again, it's purely speculation at this point. "
     Oh really? I didn't even know those sold well. They were alright, but not great games.
    Now you know. And yes, they were alright. It's too bad they don't try to make great games and actually market them to succeed further, you'd think it would be the natural progression when lukewarm efforts with little marketing actually perform on par with far more costly HD efforts as in my last comment. Add the Resident Evil Chronicles games to the list of M rated success stories (though the 2nd performed really badly in the beginning, it picked up speed), I forgot about them (with good reason, heh). The Wii offers a mostly untapped market that they can exploit on top of their HD projects for considerable returns, nobody says they should solely focus on that or ditch their HD titles, but it's really baffling that with so many companies having financial issues they don't make a real effort to tap a market that doesn't require the same race in higher and higher development costs to attract their audience with flashier and flashier graphics. Their loss :/
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By iamjohn
    @Linkyshinks said:

" I think Sega are looking to expand the audience of the series, and the best way to do that in Japan (and worldwide) would be to create a DS title. "

Fixed that for you. 

A Monster Hunter clone for PSP would make sense, too.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iamjohn

PSP game, motherfuckers.

Source is Famitsu all up in your bitch ass.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, PSP. Looks like a proper game too, not some visual novel shit like the art hinted at (imo).

Cool, this might become my first Yakuza then, if it controls well (I don't see why not, it's a brawler). And if it's localised of course.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By shirogane

Hmm, seems like this might bring up psp sales in Japan. 

Still, i don't like PSP versions of games that i've liked on consoles, here's hoping this one will be different.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't know about all that business, but I thank you for the link to that site. It had two very sexy pictures of Noel Vermilion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.