Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yoshi

Character » appears in 148 games

Yoshi is a recurring character in the Mario franchise and has since gone on to star in his own games.

Could Yoshi out eat hotdog eating champion Joey Chestnut?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

There's little doubt to professional eater Joey Chestnut's prowess when it comes to devouring meals in record times. Just this year Joey reached a new world record by consuming 75 hotdogs, with buns, in ten minutes. That's seven and a half dogs per minute!

However, Joey isn't alone in this world of eating. In walks a new competitor, everyone's favorite video game horse: Yoshi.

No Caption Provided

Yoshi eats and eats and just doesn't stop. Even when holding a shell in his mouth Yoshi will give into his dinosaur desires and devour.

So if Yoshi sat next to the mythical Joey Chestnut, who would win? Who would eat more? Is Joey's speed enough to beat out Yoshi's seemingly bottomless stomach?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yoshi would win and it wouldn’t even be close. He just sticks out his tongue and swallows anything he grabs, even if it is bigger than he is. Yoshi could definitely slam down more than 7 and a half hot dogs per minute.

Joey Chestnut looks like he might be more comfortable to ride though.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shindig

I see no evidence that Yoshi digests anything he swallows. I say this as I'm looking at what appears to be Yoshi farting. Kirby, on the other hand, I'd back.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

@shindig: Yoshi converts his food into eggs and Joey converts his food into poop. I feel like digestive systems shouldn't disqualify a dinosaur.

Kirby deserves to win everything.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait a minute, does Kirby eat or inhale? Does inhaling hot dogs count? Kirby would then win easily. Does it matter if the hot dogs end up in your lungs instead of your stomach? Does Kirby have lungs? Wouldn’t Kirby turn into a hot dog?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By imhungry

Koopas are almost certainly bigger than hot dogs so I'm inclined to believe Yoshi would wreck Joey. The only way Joey wins is if it turns out to be true that everyone in Mario World is incredibly tiny, in which case maybe hot dogs are too big for Yoshi.

Quina is the true Glizzy Gladiator though.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure who Joey Chestnut is, and his name sounds fake, but the answer is Joey Chestnut, hands down. It all comes down to what we observably know to be true about how Yoshi eats:

• When Yoshi consumes something, he either needs to spit it out or make it into an egg.
    • If Yoshi doesn't spit out the food or make it into an egg, he will eventually swallow something, but it takes a prodigiously long time to do so, presumably much slower than the pace that would be required to win a competitive eating contest.
    • Yoshi can make a maximum of six eggs at a time.

According to the accepted rules of competitive eating any hot dog Yoshi spits out would not count. He could quickly eat several hot dogs and make them into eggs, but once he hits his maximum of six eggs, he would be reduced to his glacial swallowing speed. Theoretically, he could throw an egg to create capacity for more, however seeing as this both (A) takes time and (B) would presumably result in his disqualification, it is unlikely to result in a winning strategy.

So the answer is that Yoshi would probably outpace Mr. Chestnut over the first six hotdogs, only to quickly be overtaken and left in the dust.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoshi could not only eat more hotdogs than Joey Chestnut, but would end the contest by eating Joey Chestnut in the last 5 seconds of regulation time, thus scoring both his own hotdogs and all the hotdogs that Joey Chestnut are.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@therealturk: Doesn't Yoshi in SMW just gulp down berries instantly without producing an egg? Don't see a reason why other food would behave differently.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame:

My first thought was “this is awful and upsetting”. My second thought was “how does this not have more views”.

AndrewJPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only could Yoshi out eat Joey Chestnut Yoshi could eat Joey Chestnut.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SethMode

@imhungry said:

@therealturk: Doesn't Yoshi in SMW just gulp down berries instantly without producing an egg? Don't see a reason why other food would behave differently.

Also, in SMW2, he can consume and rapidly turn things into eggs IMMEDIATELY, which I would argue indicates that his digestion process of some things is instantaneous, and may even be something he can openly choose (as you pointed out, berries he just swallows and presumably turns directly into energy). Also, he doesn't have a maximum of 6 eggs, there are just six eggs that can follow him at any time. You consume another enemy and turn him into an egg, it goes on the egg train and one eggs falls off. There is no evidence that he can't just keep making eggs forever. Anyway, there is no chance Yoshi wouldn't win this. It's more likely they would run out of hot dogs well within the time limit.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10 said:

@cikame:

My first thought was “this is awful and upsetting”. My second thought was “how does this not have more views”.

I also want to know where like, at least three of those hot dogs went because they never came out.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thatpinguino  Staff

Yoshi does not eat anything. Once a foe enters Yoshi's digestive tract, it is merely coated with a delicious candy shell. Yoshi, therefore, cannot out-eat Joey Chestnut. He can, however, create hotdog M&Ms faster than Joey Chestnut can eat hotdogs.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

The real question in my mind is how many Yoshi burgers Joey Chestnut could eat. The answer? Probably a bunch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.