The Yoshi's Crafted World demo left me cold

#1 Posted by BigSocrates (1961 posts) -

I've been playing Yoshi's Wooly World on my 3DS while commuting home from work a few days a week and I've really been enjoying it. I generally don't like playing 3DS games but something about the charming visuals, upbeat music, and mellow, simple gameplay is really great for de-stressing on the train on the way home. So I have been looking forward to Yoshi's Crafted World since it was announced. I didn't love the aesthetic (I think the yarn look is both cuddlier and more cohesive than the "crafted" cardboard look) but I figured playing in HD on my Switch would at least be better than the 3DS low res screen and simplified visuals, and I was still excited.

The Demo put the brakes on that. Now I grant you that this is just one level, and probably the first level, so the platforming was much simpler than Wooly World (not that Wooly World is anything but a cakewalk, but it does have some engaging sequences if you try to find everything.) However I didn't like the way the paths took me into and out of the screen, which disrupts the flow of the platforming and makes it more isometric, and means that the egg throwing is now just a cursor instead of a meter that goes up and down. The environmental objects you can hit with eggs are not as clearly defined as the stuff you can hit with yarn balls in Wooly World (which could be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences) and the enemies are much less interesting looking than all the yarn dudes.

Also the music was not good, compared to Wooly World's awesome tunes, and you have to do each level forward, backward, and look for items for a third run if you want to get everything? That seems like a lot.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things and this was a simplified demo level and the full game will be much better, but I'm worried this is going to fall flat, no pun intended. Did anyone else try it? Did you enjoy it? Did you like Wooly World?

This is not like my most anticipated game, but I was legitimately looking forward to it to play on my commute because when I play Wooly World I arrive home relaxed and with a smile on my face, and it's not like there's a ton of games out there that have that effect on me these days.

#2 Posted by Relkin (1133 posts) -

Don't let yourself get worked up over it; there's no way to really know until the game launches. Luckily, that's not too far off. Wait a month and see what the reception is like.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
#3 Edited by RalphMoustaccio (268 posts) -

It seemed... fine? I haven't really played any of the other Yoshi games, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I am hoping that the full game might be something I can enjoy with my daughter. She gets easily frustrated with games with complicated controls (she's only just about to turn six), so I actually wouldn't mind if this skews toward the easier side of things. My puppy enjoyed looking at the demo for a couple of minutes. So at least there's that.

No Caption Provided

#4 Posted by jamesyfx (142 posts) -

I thought the Demo was... fine. The music for the demo level was a bit weary sounding.

It immediately felt like Yoshi's Island to me. The moves, the controls, the interactivity with the level. I'm guessing it diverges more in later levels as new stuff starts to come into play.

#5 Edited by deckard (347 posts) -

Yeah it was pretty blah. The demo was enough for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.