Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ys

Franchise »

A long-running Japanese action RPG franchise, premiering in 1987 on the PC-88 computer, with releases spanning several platforms.

I just picked up Ys I and II Complete for the PSP/Vita and have a question about the combat

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RetroMetal

So, I remember YEARS ago a friend of mine that is really into RPGs telling me he was playing Ys and how much he loved it. He typically liked JRPGs (I do not like turn-based combat AT ALL) but he also likes Zelda style games, I like to call those Action RPGs.

So anyway, he knows how I hate all turn based combat RPGs, but tells me about this Ys game.

Fast forward how many-ever years and just assume that my memory of that conversation left my head about 30 minutes later, as are most things in regards to my short-term memory. Anyway, Chronicles gets released on the PS4... I watch a video of it and think, "this looks fun, I will add it to my wish-list and get it sometime down the road when I just want to blow $20 on a game.". That was months ago, so last weekend I finally decided to take that plunge but in reading what it was I see that it is something like Ys prequels, so I look to see what other Ys games are available on the PSN store, see Complete and decide to pick that up as well because, why not play I and II before the prequels, amiright? (if Star Wars taught us nothing else, it's to do things out of order.)

SO, now to my point.

The HELL is up with combat in this game?

No buttons for attack, and just bump into stuff??

It just feels... wrong.

So, not ever firing up Chronicles yet, and also being curious about the OTHER games in the franchise as well, do they all play like I and II Complete?

If so, this might have been a bad plan.

niflhe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The Combat in Ys I+II is really interesting and a relic of when it was created. It has its charm and I managed to complete both games without too much hassle. To change the combat for those games at this point would probably require a complete redesign of the entire game from the ground up.

Now, with that said, no, none of the other modern Ys games in the series use the Bump System for combat. Origins, Oath in Felghana, Memories of Celceta, Ark of Napishtim, SEVEN, and even the Super Famicom only Ys V all use a more traditional combat system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't gone through all the Ys games but I+II and Ys IV: Dawn of Ys are the only ones I've played that uses that style of combat. Ys III went for a Zelda 2 sidescrolling thing, and the modern ones have a much more complex combat system. Definitely check out the modern ones like Oath in Felghana which is like a re-imagining of the terrible Ys III: Wanderers From Ys.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I know the main question has been answered, but wanted to offer a quick suggestion for Ys I & II: if you're willing to devote a bit more time to the game and level-up, you may come to enjoy the combat. Early-on, things can be frustrating, when it takes several awkward bump attempts to kill every enemy, but eventually you'll level (and get better equipment) to the point, where you're blasting through chains of baddies, all the while that usually kicking, metal soundtrack is blaring in the background. Gaining some levels and new equipment just lends a much different feel (and speed) to the battle mechanics, in contrast to when you first step into the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.