Yu Narukami is in a Square Enix game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hailinel
#1 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

(In before a million terrible "Who's Yu Narukami?" jokes.)

So Square Enix has produced an expansion to a Japanese arcade game, Lord of Vermilion II, called Lord of Vermilion Re: 2. And Yu appears in the game:

Ziodynin' like a boss.
Ziodynin' like a boss.

If you're wondering how this happened, Lord of Vermilion is actually home to a number of odd cameos from games ranging from Nier to BlazBlue. It's also somewhat fitting, as Square Enix published Persona 4 in Europe.

Avatar image for fluxwavez
#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

It's worth mentioning that there will be other Persona 4 Arena characters as cameos in Lord of Vermillion II as well.

Avatar image for eirikr
#3 Posted by Eirikr (1083 posts) -

Fuck, awesome. Nothing else to be said!

Maybe I should finally play LoV...

Avatar image for apegantz
#4 Posted by ApeGantz (235 posts) -

What....

Avatar image for fluxwavez
#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

I hope this isn't the "collaborative" project Hashino was referring to, because that'd be pretty underwhelming for me. I don't think it is because of the part that says that the announcement is "a ways off".

Avatar image for hailinel
#6 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I hope this isn't the "collaborative" project Hashino was referring to, because that'd be pretty underwhelming for me. I don't think it is because of the part that says that the announcement is "a ways off".

He said that announcement was far off. This isn't it.

Avatar image for eirikr
#7 Posted by Eirikr (1083 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Hopefully they are collaborating with Hades/Satan/Mot/etc to channel the voice of Igor's departed voice actor, because the idea behind that shit is whack.

Avatar image for firepaw
#8 Posted by Firepaw (3053 posts) -

Who's Yu Narukami?

And no that is no joke, so shame on you, for assuming so :(

Avatar image for hailinel
#9 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

And no that is no joke, so shame on you, for assuming so :(

The protagonist of Persona 4 and a character in Persona 4 Arena.

Avatar image for firepaw
#10 Posted by Firepaw (3053 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

And no that is no joke, so shame on you, for assuming so :(

The protagonist of Persona 4 and a character in Persona 4 Arena.

Oh, right. Well now I feel kinda stupid...

Avatar image for joeyoe31
#11 Posted by Joeyoe31 (848 posts) -

Seems neat. I know absolutely nothing about this game so time for reading.

Avatar image for lordandrew
#12 Edited by LordAndrew (14601 posts) -

Who would win in a fight between Yu Narukami and Kefka?

Avatar image for noobsauceg7
#13 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1387 posts) -

That's really cool!

Avatar image for canteu
#14 Posted by Canteu (2968 posts) -

@LordAndrew: Charlie Tunoku would walk in and murder them both.

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12540 posts) -

Hey, Charlie's in there too!

NEVER LET THE DREAM DIE! NEVER!

Avatar image for rwbladewing
#16 Posted by RWBladewing (158 posts) -

The character list for this game is pretty incredible. Would love to play it some day.

Avatar image for justin258
#17 Posted by Justin258 (14373 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@Hailinel said:

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

And no that is no joke, so shame on you, for assuming so :(

The protagonist of Persona 4 and a character in Persona 4 Arena.

Oh, right. Well now I feel kinda stupid...

The game lets you rename the main character and, in the Persona 4 Endurance Run on this site, his name was Charlie Tunoku I believe.

Avatar image for phatmac
#18 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

Glad to see that Charlie keeps getting more work with his acting gig as "Yu Narukami".

Avatar image for andrewb
#19 Posted by AndrewB (7814 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Glad to see that Charlie keeps getting more work with his acting gig as "Yu Narukami".

Yu is obviously Japanese for Charlie.

Also, why does Yu get all the attention? If you've ever finished Persona 3, you'd know how badass Minato is.

Avatar image for phatmac
#20 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

@AndrewB: Pfft. That emo jesus isn't shit compared to swag Charlie Tunoku.

Avatar image for firepaw
#21 Posted by Firepaw (3053 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Village_Guy said:

@Hailinel said:

@Village_Guy said:

Who's Yu Narukami?

And no that is no joke, so shame on you, for assuming so :(

The protagonist of Persona 4 and a character in Persona 4 Arena.

Oh, right. Well now I feel kinda stupid...

The game lets you rename the main character and, in the Persona 4 Endurance Run on this site, his name was Charlie Tunoku I believe.

I did know that, Vinny says he names his RPG characters after fish and Ryan yells that they should name him Charlie :)

I didn't know that they had a canonical name for him though, but now that's cleared up.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

Square (Enix): Appropriating competitor's mascots for their own games since 1987.

Avatar image for adoggz
#23 Posted by adoggz (2081 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Phatmac said:

Glad to see that Charlie keeps getting more work with his acting gig as "Yu Narukami".

Yu is obviously Japanese for Charlie.

Also, why does Yu get all the attention? If you've ever finished Persona 3, you'd know how badass Minato is.

Well, the persona 3 MC is totally dead so I'd imagine thats why.

Avatar image for eirikr
#24 Posted by Eirikr (1083 posts) -

In the new Famitsu it shows that Elizabeth and Thanatos are in, as is Aigis, who uses...Messiah. Elizabeth's move is Megidolaon while Aigis' is EX Orgia Mode.

LoV's own take on Izanami is in there too, as an "Ultimate Rare" card. Man, I really gotta get into this thing.

Avatar image for hailinel
#25 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

In the new Famitsu it shows that Elizabeth and Thanatos are in, as is Aigis, who uses...Messiah. Elizabeth's move is Megidolaon while Aigis' is EX Orgia Mode.

LoV's own take on Izanami is in there too, as an "Ultimate Rare" card. Man, I really gotta get into this thing.

Man, what.

Also, I"m really curious to see the LoV version of Izanami.

Avatar image for lotr_dan
#26 Posted by LOTR_Dan (116 posts) -

@adoggz said:

@AndrewB said:

@Phatmac said:

Glad to see that Charlie keeps getting more work with his acting gig as "Yu Narukami".

Yu is obviously Japanese for Charlie.

Also, why does Yu get all the attention? If you've ever finished Persona 3, you'd know how badass Minato is.

Well, the persona 3 MC is totally dead so I'd imagine thats why.

No! No he's not. He's still holding the seal that keeps humanity from killing itself. But Elizabeth is going to find a way to save him and he's going to live happily ever after with Yukari. Damnit.
Avatar image for gamer_152
#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (14480 posts) -

Well, this seems bizarre. Japanese games, right guys?

Moderator
Avatar image for eirikr
#28 Posted by Eirikr (1083 posts) -

@Hailinel: Here are the pages in question:

Aigis and Elizabeth reveal:

No Caption Provided

Close-up of Aigis and Messiah:

No Caption Provided

Izanami:

No Caption Provided

Standard, if not a little cutesy, but that's just how these goddesses seem to fall in the LoV design spectrum.

I was, however, reminded of this art of Izanami from a Japanese illustrated Shinto book I bought:

No Caption Provided

Is it just me, or does that art style remind you of the artist who does the covers for Koei's strategy series? I don't know that person's name! I don't think there's an entry for them here, I looked.

Avatar image for hailinel
#29 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Eirikr: Ah. WIth all of this Persona 4 character talk, I half-wondered if it was a P4 incarnation of Izanami that had been included. Obviously, that was wrong.

But now that you mention it, that Izanami art from the Shinto book does resemble the art style of the Koei strategy game portraits. I don't know who does that art either, but I'd be interested in finding out.

Avatar image for mutha3
#30 Posted by mutha3 (5050 posts) -
@Eirikr said:

 Aigis, who uses...Messiah

uh
 
what
 
Hopefully that isn't a hint for things to come in future Persona games. 
Avatar image for eirikr
#31 Edited by Eirikr (1083 posts) -

@mutha3: Yeah, no kidding!

Thankfully, I think a cameo appearance in a crossover game is hardly cause for canon concerns.

(dat alliteration)

Avatar image for mutha3
#32 Edited by mutha3 (5050 posts) -
@Eirikr said:

@mutha3: Yeah, no kidding!

Thankfully, I think a cameo appearance in a crossover game is hardly cause for canon concerns.

Well, hopefully! This seems like one of those super-fanfictiony things that I can kinda see happen.
 
Especially after the introduction of stuff like the Shadow Operatives in P4A -- its really easy for the next Persona game to turn out super dumb(and not in a good way). I hope they manage pull it off.
 
I like her new design, at least! That....kinda helps.
Avatar image for eirikr
#33 Posted by Eirikr (1083 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Well, hopefully! This seems like one of those super-fanfictiony things that I can kinda see happen. Especially after the introduction of stuff like the Shadow Operatives in P4A -- its really easy for the next Persona game to turn out super dumb(and not in a good way). I hope they manage pull it off.

Haha, I was just talking about this on another forum. The consensus was that the stupid fanfiction-y stuff will likely remain only in spin-offs, while the main numbered games will retain an individual character. Otherwise, I have my worries as well!

Avatar image for sinusoidal
#35 Edited by Sinusoidal (3327 posts) -

I was totally baffled by this because I mixed up Lord of Vermilion - which I had never heard of - with Sword of Vermilion which I played the crap out of on Genesis back in the day.

Avatar image for theht
#36 Posted by TheHT (14307 posts) -

Who would win in a fight between Yu Narukami and Kefka?

Goku.

Avatar image for mcfart
#37 Posted by Mcfart (2020 posts) -

@adoggz said:

@AndrewB said:

@Phatmac said:

Glad to see that Charlie keeps getting more work with his acting gig as "Yu Narukami".

Yu is obviously Japanese for Charlie.

Also, why does Yu get all the attention? If you've ever finished Persona 3, you'd know how badass Minato is.

Well, the persona 3 MC is totally dead so I'd imagine thats why.

omg spoilerz

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12540 posts) -

Locked because of necroing and his real name is Charlie. Okay, that second part was a joke, that wasn't why this was locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.