Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yu Suzuki

Person » credited in 58 games

Sega's most influential game designer. He was instrumental in the industry's shift to 3D, with hits like Hang-On, Space Harrier, OutRun, and After Burner, and then polygonal 3D franchises like Virtua, Daytona and Shenmue. Other innovations include motion controls, analog fightstick controls, street racing, kart racing, 3D fighting, 3D urban open-world gameplay, and QTE. He is considered Sega's answer to Shigeru Miyamoto.

Why is there so little information on Yu Suzuki?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Kind of curious on this issue.  He was regarded as the rival to Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo.  Hell Yuji Naka was refered as "Yu2", the second top designer of Sega, in sequence of Yu Suzuki.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Probably because... who is that guy?
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Lies

People are still mad about Shenmue

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

No one cares about second place.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Because you haven't filled it out yet.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64

I just found THIS thread about the guy, it might help.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Castro

I could totally be wrong here, but I'm going to take a stab at it. I'm sure someone will correct me, and that's fine.

So yeah, you know how Gunpei Yokoi left Nintendo shortly after the Virtual Boy bombed and Ken Kutaragi was transferred away from the Sony Entertainment division and then eventually left Sony altogether after the PS3 launch debacle? I think that a similar thing happened with Yu Suzuki after Shenmue did nowhere near what they expected. I think he's still with the company, but he's probably in some other division with a lot less clout than he had before. I think it's a Japanese thing. Instead of firing people, they just demote them until they leave in shame. Or something.

Also, when I saw the title of this thread, my mind immediately went to Yuzo Koshiro. ActRaiser had some of the best music ever, but that is completely irrelevant.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Contro
    @Godwind: 

It is lacking, I'll try to contribute to it later when I have some spare time. 

@Castro: 

That's complete utter nonsense, It's not "a Japanese thing" (?!) to shame co-workers into submission, It's "a Japanese thing" to treat all co-workers honourably and respectfully.

Game Works - Volume One 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The GD Rom includes arcade perfect versions. The adversing hoardings in Hang On are all Shenmue one's ^^ 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It is sad to see how poorly SEGA treats the man who would be king.  He is solely responsible for dragging modern arcade and console games into the 3D era.  Without his seminal work on After Burner, Space Harrier and so on we wouldn't have had Mode 7 on the SNES and all the 3D acceleration which followed in terms of home consoles and without his Virtua series of games the fighter and driving game would have most likely stayed firmly ensconced in the 2D realm as well.  The man is a visionary and far too few people actually know what he did, let alone who he is.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Contro
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" It is sad to see how poorly SEGA treats the man who would be king.  He is solely responsible for dragging modern arcade and console games into the 3D era.  Without his seminal work on After Burner, Space Harrier and so on we wouldn't have had Mode 7 on the SNES and all the 3D acceleration which followed in terms of home consoles and without his Virtua series of games the fighter and driving game would have most likely stayed firmly ensconced in the 2D realm as well.  The man is a visionary and far too few people actually know what he did, let alone who he is. "

Agreed. He hasn't been treated badly at any point though, and his relationship with Sega remains fine. He just had different things he wanted to pursue, and is now doing them, I don't understand why this misconception is so prevalent when he's said nothing that alludes to any ill treatment by Sega.

Yu's enjoying life:

"The things I like, Cars, motorcycles, clocks, wine, paintings, billiards...It's not that I don't like games, but I enjoy reality more, so I end up not having time to play games. However, I like making things. I'm most happy when I'm making something, as there are always discoveries. I'd like to deliver to game players an enjoyment that is beyond the framework of games, along with new play elements. Making games is fun, but the feeling of seeing the the happiness of people who play the game that we made is even more wonderful. This is why I cannot stop making games."

http://www.ysnet-inc.jp/ 

Yu on Shenmue 3:

"I want to make 3 with the same volume as in the past," - "There have actually been a lot of requests from fans for 3 as well. There were even petitions signed by by tens of thousands of people." - "Shenmue has the image of grand scale," - "But making something of grand scale requires appropriate preparation."    

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1134339p1.html
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Contro:   I was referring the the post Dreamcast fiasco when they broke up all the teams and removed almost all of his staff.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Jadeskye

Shenmue.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contro

Well the severity of the circumstances meant they had little choice. I do think some teams should have been kept together partially though, if they had done Sega would have got to the position their in now a lot sooner.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

is that a beverage

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contro

@AhmadMetallic said:

is that a beverage

No, it's a videogame designer person, but he did create some of the finest videogame beverages.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By Cincaid

@Contro: So you just randomly bump this thread every six months or so? Alright.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By probablytuna

He's currently busy creating a feature-length live-action movie of Shenmue III with Mega64 to conclude the saga.

shhetghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shhetghost

@Cincaid said:

there are some serious delayed reactions here, maybe he is still using dial up

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By dagas

@Contro said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

is that a beverage

No, it's a videogame designer person, but he did create some of the finest videogame beverages.

That's Shenmue alright. I used to believe it would be the future of video games. But then a few years before people thought FMV games would be the future of video games. I really loved Shenmue. I bought it after the video game magazine I read called Super Play gave it a perfect 10/10 score with the line "Yu Suzuki writes video game history".

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Contro

@Cincaid:

@Cincaid said:

Errr,.. I was replying to this comment:

@Contro:I was referring the the post Dreamcast fiasco when they broke up all the teams and removed almost all of his staff.

With this one:

Well the severity of the circumstances meant they had little choice. I do think some teams should have been kept together partially though, if they had done Sega would have got to the position their in now a lot sooner.

So, what exactly is your problem?. I'm a little confused, I visited the page to work on the wiki, as I said I would do, and then some foolish member claims I'm bumping a thread, lol. Are you making yourself out to be a dumbskalle intentionally Mr Svenski?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cincaid

@Contro: I suggest you calm down and stop with the namecalling. I just found it odd that you bumped this thread not once, but twice, over the past 18 months. I'm not questioning why you did it, I just found it odd. But apparently it made you angry enough to respond to me, then delete that message, then respond, then delete again, and finally respond a third time and calling me childish names (yes, I got all your replies in my inbox).

Now let's all get along and be happy together instead.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead

Get to bed, Linky.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By wealllikepie
    Why is there so little information about you?
    Why is there so little information about you?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.