Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zeno Clash

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 21, 2009

Zeno Clash is an action/fighting game set in a bizarre quasi-neolithic world. The game is played from a first-person perspective and the combat is generally up close and brutal.

Zeno Clash and Piracy

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

ACE Team, the indie developers of Zeno Clash have taken a rather unusual stance against piracy. Rather than attempting to put a stop to it, the developers have been responding to the Comments section of Zeno Clash torrents, pleading with downloaders to buy the game if they enjoy it.

Carlos Bordeu
    said:

I’m one of the developers of Zeno Clash. I would appreciate you read this if you are about to download this file.

Zeno Clash is an independently funded game by a very small and sacrificed group of people. The only way in which we can continue making games like this (or a sequel) is to have good sales.

I am aware that at this moment there is still no demo of the game, but we are working on one which will be available soon.

We cannot do anything to stop piracy of the game (and honestly don’t intend to do so) but if you are downloading because you wish to try before you buy, I would ask that you purchase the game (and support the independent game development scene) if you enjoy it. We plan on updating Zeno Clash with DLC and continuing support for the game long after it’s release.

Thanks for taking the time to read this… hopefully it will make a difference.

Carlos Bordeu
    ACE Team

Personally, I'm sceptical of this working. Most people who actually care about the developers wouldn't even consider downloading it illegally in the first place. There is a chance that some people weren't prepared to pay for such an unusual game without playing it first. This might work on them, but I'm still sceptical. And now that a demo is out, those people aren't going to need to resort to file sharing to try the game out.

So what do you guys think of this attempt? Will it work?

Also, unrelated to piracy he says "We plan on updating Zeno Clash with DLC and continuing support for the game long after it’s release." which is definitely awesome news.

EDIT: I found this article which goes into more detail. They talked to Calos Bordeu of ACE Team and he said "Our ‘anti-piracy’ technique is basically the best approach we thought was possible. I think appealing to the conscience of people who download the game is the best we can do. Zeno Clash is not an expensive game. We don’t believe in restrictive DRM. We honestly think that ‘converting’ the people who download the game into buyers is a much better strategy than trying to fight them. We are also improving the original game, so it will include features and content that people who download the game will probably miss."

They also have quotes from the comments section from downloaders, which seems to have an extremely positive response, with plenty of people saying they will buy the game if they like it. Who knows if they will actually buy the game, but I'd like to think they will:

“It was a touching comment (seriously) I will dl it and see if I like it and then will see if I buy it or not.”

“I love how the developers are commenting in here. Thanks a lot for doing it, instead of fighting the piracy.”

“I have not bought a game in 5 years, but the attitude of the developers has made me want to purchase their game. Fuck, if I like this game, I’m gonna buy it!”

“Developers like this deserve the money. They didn’t come on here with a preconceived notion that we are all thieves who don’t buy our software. I like that, because I and most of the people who use this actually do buy the software and other goods that we enjoy.”

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By atejas

Emotional blackmail ftw.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

I don't know if it will work but I want to give that guy a hug.

Budster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Budster

Well they already have a demo out so I guess people can try and see it. I already tried it and once i have some money I'm getting my ZENO clash on, also privacy just needs to go away, thanks to that we now have shitty DRM's that plague PC gaming grrrr. thank god for steam

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By guiseppe

This has been used before and works on some people, but not in the bigger picture. Still, it's good that they realize that they can't stop piracy and therefore won't spend time or money in trying to do so.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria

Nah.

Pirates are pirates.

Asses are asses.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PureRok

I tried the demo, didn't like it. I'm glad that a developer (indie or not) finally realizes that you can't stop digital piracy no matter how hard you try.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Sometimes it works:

"i highly encourage anyone who has downloaded this game to buy it as well.

if we want more good indie games with minimal to no DRM software, then we must support the devs that output them.

the game is only 20 dollars on steam, i would strongly suggest everyone buy it!
    ."
    Sometimes it doesn't:
    "lol that wasn't a real guy on the dev team...He just copy and pasted that shit and filled in his own fucken name. Pfft. Somehow I think enough people will buy it seeing it got a number 2 rating on IGN"
    In the end, this won't work. It will get a few guilty people to get the game eventually, but in the long run pirates will keep on pirating.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Dr_Feelgood38 said:
    " Sometimes it doesn't:
    "lol that wasn't a real guy on the dev team...He just copy and pasted that shit and filled in his own fucken name. Pfft. Somehow I think enough people will buy it seeing it got a number 2 rating on IGN""
    Some people are idiots and will try to derail any attempt to stop piracy. It got an 8.4 on IGN, not a 2. That guy is an idiot.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper

When I'm not completely sold on a game but I still would like to play it I just don't play it. People shouldn't give in to the urge of torrenting. The demo's out but the problem with it is it's just a too big file to download just for a demo. I don't want to waste my bandwidth on it

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

It's smart on their part because they realize there's no point in them getting upset.  They don't have the money or power to curb the piracy, and getting angry and ranting only seems to piss off pirates more.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmrwacko

The best way to fight piracy would be to release killer DLC. Cracked games usually can't be patched, and since DLC will be released solely through steam, having great downloadable content will give most pirates incentive to buy a legit copy. Having a vibrant mod community helps as well.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Cracked games can and do get patches, and DLC is also released. If a solution was so simple, people would certainly be using it. As for vibrant mod communities, not every game can achieve that. Usually one tramples over all the rest. Half-Life a decade ago, Half-Life 2 nowadays (though it's mostly dying also it seems). But Zeno Clash is a single player title so even mods could probably be run just fine.

And yes, this won't "work" but hey, if one guy is convinced, that's a win. What do you expect? To see 0 downloads because of a message? Lol.

Until all games can somehow be uncrackable, pirates will be pirates. What devs should do is cater and please legitimate customers, not try to stop piracy in ways that annoy the customers more than they help against piracy. That is all they can do, and frankly, it seems sufficient enough. Blockbuster games still get millions of sales so the market's clearly there despite piracy.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jayge_

I'm actually going to buy this game because of that, regardless of whether or not it runs on my current computer.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By insanejedi
    MattyFTM said:

“It was a touching comment (seriously) I will dl it and see if I like it and then will see if I buy it or not.”

“I love how the developers are commenting in here. Thanks a lot for doing it, instead of fighting the piracy.”

“I have not bought a game in 5 years, but the attitude of the developers has made me want to purchase their game. Fuck, if I like this game, I’m gonna buy it!”

“Developers like this deserve the money. They didn’t come on here with a preconceived notion that we are all thieves who don’t buy our software. I like that, because I and most of the people who use this actually do buy the software and other goods that we enjoy.”

"
    I would put those in the comments section as a developer. Like deviously put the "official" developer comment in the comments section and then get like 900 comments on the torrent saying "fuck this, I'm not downloading this. I'm going to buy it!"

Or EVEN BETTER

I'll post on the torrent comments saying that this torrent contains spyware, viruses and all that other fun stuff, destroying the reputation of the torrent and no one ends up downloading it. :D
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah that will totally work, people don't have virus scanners.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This idea is nice and idealistic, but the cynic in me says that the Human Race lacks conscience and even those who don't regularly pirate will take advantage of this easy steal. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and this game will sell a bajillion copies. Who Knows?

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    insanejedi said:
    "MattyFTM said:

"
    I would put those in the comments section as a developer. Like deviously put the "official" developer comment in the comments section and then get like 900 comments on the torrent saying "fuck this, I'm not downloading this. I'm going to buy it!"Or EVEN BETTERI'll post on the torrent comments saying that this torrent contains spyware, viruses and all that other fun stuff, destroying the reputation of the torrent and no one ends up downloading it. :D"
    I used to pirate everything. That doesn't stop anyone from doing anything.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r
    ArbitraryWater said:
    "This idea is nice and idealistic, but the cynic in me says that the Human Race lacks conscience and even those who don't regularly pirate will take advantage of this easy steal. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and this game will sell a bajillion copies. Who Knows?"
    It wouldn't sell bajillion copies even without piracy.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Al3xand3r said:
    "ArbitraryWater said:
    "This idea is nice and idealistic, but the cynic in me says that the Human Race lacks conscience and even those who don't regularly pirate will take advantage of this easy steal. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and this game will sell a bajillion copies. Who Knows?"
    It wouldn't sell bajillion copies even without piracy."
    How much exactly is a bajillion?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Less than a gazillion? You really had to ask that?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Hamz

I've said it before and will continue to do so. The way to stop piracy is not to combat the pirates in some virtual battle where the only solution seems to be ever more restrictive and stupid methods of DRM, but rather conversion. Understand why people pirate and then see how you can change their mind and actually get them to pay for games instead. Trying to convert people from piracy to a legitimate and legal purchase of a game benefits a lot more people than it does to slap some SecuRom DRM solution to a game and treat everyone as a potential pirate.

If only a lot more developers and publishers would take a less aggressive approach to piracy we probably wouldn't be in this cold war style situation.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

People pirate because they want free shit Hamz, how do you combat that? Offering your game for free by default? I mean, I guess that's what micro transaction based games do, but it's not like you can apply that on every type of game, and if you do, you'll probably piss off existing buyers. It won''t work for single player games for example. And if it does, well, that's a form of DRM too really, if you have to be connected online, logged on your account, purchasing the levels and weapons or whatever individually... Still, I'll stop here cos I don't think you wanna turn this thread into the other mess that was that "I pirate games, so what" thread, which is more fitting for a general discussion like this anyway. I'll say I agree in that they should mostly try to cater to the legitimate customers since pirates crack any form of protection anyway, but not because I think that will convert the pirates to customers, or anything, it's usually an excuse of someone to say they steal due to DRM, especially since only a couple of DRM I know are so annoying as to really piss someone off, and both seem to be dying. Starforce and SecuRom that is. Well, SecuRom lives on but at least not their "advanced" protection features but rather just the cd checks and what not. I'm fine with that. Yet I'll still crack the legit copy and I find it annoying when that's done in multi player games where I can't just do that as I'll not be able to play them on legit servers until I remove the crack, so it makes it a disc swapping chore but that's a rant for another day... Lol. So, yeah, pirates will be pirates, cater to your customers.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Meowayne

Of course this will work. Or in other words: It will work many times better than restrictive, "anti piracy" measures. Which are known to work, er, not at all. Never. Screwing over the customer is the worst way to approach piracy, this is confirmed every two weeks, but still companies try.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JJOR64

Sound interesting but, this will not stop them from downloading it.

Engine357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Engine357

ACE Should just post their game on Pirating websites themselves, only when you start the game it comes up as Superman 64, and every time you miss a ring it unleashes a worm somewhere in your hardrive.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#27  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, that would be a great way to make sure no one supports them in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.