Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zero Escape

Franchise »

A series of visual novel/adventure games created by Chunsoft and Koutaro Uchikoshi. The series is known as "Extreme Escape" in Japan and "Zero Escape" in the United States.

The Case for Playing 50 Hours of Visual Novels

• 125 results
    chibi_kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By chibi_kaji

I've been meaning to pick up 999 since it came out. But listening to Patrick talk about it has finally made me order it from Amazon. But I'll probably grab VLR for the Vita just to avoid that bug. 

I'm finally going to give Corpse Party a shot as well. I've heard Patrick mention wanting to try it a few times, and  Phil Kollar seems to dig the game as well.

Psycosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#102  Edited By Psycosis

Eww who the hell plays visual novels aren't they for nerds?

krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By krabboss

@onan: It affects people in different ways, horror games gets my adrenaline pumping and it's a great feeling.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By xymox

@theuselessgod said:

@patrickklepek

Play corpse party.

Everything you want in one convenient package. Visual novel, tons of horror.

The adventure game elements are pretty much the worst, though, so be warned. But that really seems like a game that's right up your ally.

Now I need to check these two out...

Yeah, I'll second this. Corpse Party is great, especially if you need a breather from your standard adventuring games and role playing games.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Ducksworth

I think I have VLR planned in my "gaming budget" for next month but damn, the true ending to 999 was really unsatisfying.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Ducksworth said:

I think I have VLR planned in my "gaming budget" for next month but damn, the true ending to 999 was really unsatisfying.

90% of all true endings are unsatisfying, sadly. : (

Gaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Gaston

Hmm, do I really have to buy a DS? :P Maybe I do..

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By buft

the sad thing for me is that visual novels don't fit into my gaming habit, I either play my game in small bitesize portions when im on the bus which doesn't suit the way these stories can be enjoyed(at least for me, i can't get into a book while travelling) or i play a long stretch of a game and usually that will be something multiplayer

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#109  Edited By Superkenon

Glad that Patrick made this write-up. There's definitely a reason for why people roll their eyes at visual novels, but there are in fact lots of good games hidden away in there. Just like every other kind of medium, you just have to wade through all the crap to find 'em.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#110  Edited By MjHealy

Patrick's really been making good points about these sort of games on the Bombcast recently. He's bringing up games that aren't usually discussed and it great to see some variety between the five guys especially at this time of the year. Patrick has even got me interested in playing the new Fire Emblem, and I don't even know how!

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By civid

If Michael Ironside explodes your head through telekenises at the end of VLR, I will buy this right now!

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#113  Edited By hollitz

@Dallas_Raines: Clover was pretty sexualized in the first game too. Ace and Junpei definitely have at least one pervy conversation about her. And I can't speak to the original run of the game, but in the instruction manual of the reprint, she's in a pretty provocative pose on the table of contents page with a very short skirt on.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#114  Edited By Daneian

Aren't Snatcher and the Ace Attorney games visual novels? Thought those were a pretty big deal.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By fullmetal5550

I want to play 999 and VLR. Need to buy a 3DS first though. Visual Novels are awesome. Especially Katawa Shoujo.

Rabbitsuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Rabbitsuit

Here's to the upcoming Zero Escape game. Really looking forward to it.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By Keeng

Thanks, Patrick. You're giving this series the proper nod and respect. They're fantastic experiences and it makes us feel great as fans to see someone helping spread the word.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By sravankb

Nope.

I have tried playing these kinds of games several times over, and over, and over again. I don't care how good the story is, but if gameplay feels compromised in the process, I'm not gonna play it. Let's look at adventure games as an example -

Besides their stupid sense of "logic", I don't understand why they never implement fast travel in these, or at least a small feature like double clicking at the edge of a screen to make it skip to the next area instead of animating a walking character each and every single time. I just cannot comprehend design decisions like these and why developers are so adamant on sticking with outdated design. If there are players out there who enjoy this, good for them. However, I've had just about enough of that nonsense.

And this is precisely why I find myself tuning out and losing interest whenever Patrick talks about games on the podcast. Before I go on, lemme just say that I don't hate Patrick; I just find him boring 90% of the time. Again - it's indifference, not hatred. He focuses so much on the non-interactive portions of the game like the story and visual presentation that I just don't see why he even plays games. He almost never goes into detailing the gameplay and design, which kinda define a game, at least in my opinion. In my experience, storytelling is almost never done well in games; literally every other form of media out there does it better. Why should we lower our standards for stories and presentation whenever we critique games?

Here's why I think this is the case - the story and gameplay of most games never feels like it belongs in the same package. They're never weaved together into one element and presented that way. Any time anyone (on the internet or IRL) tells me what makes a game's story good, they never talk about the interactive portions of the game. I've never played or heard of a game that tells its story through gameplay.

Every time I play games that are critically praised for their storytelling - I think to myself - "Can this game's story be told using a book, movie, TV show / other non-interactive media?". If yes, I don't count story as one of its strong points. It's simply a tacked-on bonus and in my opinion, is not enough for me to go out and buy the game. I can understand if people here (or anywhere else for that matter) want to play games exclusively for their story, but I've had it with games that sacrifice interactivity for the sake of storytelling.

P.S. I don't know if it came off this way, but it's not that I don't like puzzles. I like games like Braid, Portal, Winterbottom, etc. Heck I love Sudoku and other mathematical puzzles once in a while (I'm an engineer). Games I don't like, however, are ones that emphasize a one-sided experience of just expecting a player to listen, watch, or read way more than playing it.

pmurph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By pmurph

It might be worth pointing out that a lot of the sexualisation of characters could have something to do with the translation. However as somebody who has played a few of the infinity series now as well as the sub-branching zero escape games, I'm inclined to think i may be wrong there as there are similar moments in pretty much every game. Remember11 Does a good job of NOT doing that to be honest.

shepdelonge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By shepdelonge

Found a typo Kleptok:

"Other times, it’s an overused narrative device mean to to kick the can down the road, like in LOST."

Krabonq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Krabonq

Visual novels aren't games.

They're nothing more than DVD menu simulators. Hell, even The walking dead is more of a game, than these animated books !

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Goddamn. I was hoping to hear of some new Zork-style games. I don't want to see any

crappy Anime photos in my story-based games. And Nintendo/Sorny? I mean, c'mon!

Not all of us live in Japan.

hoonsama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By hoonsama

999 was a disappointing game. It had me gripped for hours as I went through rooms after rooms, endings after endings. I liked it so much, in fact, that I got every ending without consulting to a guide, which obviously added more hours of gameplay at the expense of my sanity. What ruined it for me was the True Ending. It had so much build up, so many questions that were supposed to be big revelations, but what the True Ending revealed was that the game didn't really have an answer that could match my expectation, and some answers flat out makes no sense.

With that said, I've been on the fence about getting Virtue's Last Reward. Story aside, it apparently has a game breaking bug and the change in the visual department is off-putting.

Avatar image for klepek_defenseforce
    KLEPEK_DefenseForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet read, Scoops!!

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#125  Edited By striderno9

Interesting, I tend to get on a kick where I want to play a genre of game thats very different from my usual tastes, tends to workout well.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just picked up a copy of 999. Should I use a walkthrough to unlock all the endings or should I just play it without using guides for the first playthrough?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.