Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 31, 2008

The first game in the Fatal Frame survival horror franchise released exclusively on a Nintendo platform, and the first to not receive an official localization. It utilizes motion control to move the flashlight. This also marks the series' switch from stationary cameras to a behind-the-back view.

Fans Work On English Translation Of Fatal Frame 4

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

After Nintendo's (lame) decision not to bring Fatal Frame 4 to Europe and America, fans have started work on a un-official localisation of the game.

A group of translators have already worked their way through nearly half the game's script, and are currently seeking others to help them out.

QJ is reporting the project requires Homebrew Channel and an imported copy of the game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

How did this go unnoticed? The fan translation is 93% done.

They aim for a release date of July 31, exactly one year after the original release. They also promise on-the-fly-patching, meaning you don't have to burn an .iso (they even claim this won't work and you NEED an original copy), only a homebrew-enabled Wii and a SD card.

I, for one, am looking forward to finally playing Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. :)

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio

So how come Japanese voice actors always sound the same?
    Pretty cool, though.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot

Wow! Yeah I have to second "why the heck haven't I heard of this?"

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Mechabolic

As much as I want this to come true I'm afraid they will pull a squareenix and give them a C&D a few weeks before they are done. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne
    @Mechabolic said:
    " As much as I want this to come true I'm afraid they will pull a squareenix and give them a C&D a few weeks before they are done.  "
    They are done. :)
    The translation patch is now in closed beta for a final ironing out of mistakes. They revamped the website and the patch (which is about 800mb in size) will be released before the end of the year. I've been following the project for about half a year now and I am hugely impressed by how much work they put into this with the translation of every last bit of artwork, the research, and the coding. 

Two weeks ago, the English Dub project was announced in their forums. They have all the technicalities sorted out and are now recording English voices as an optional patch to the patch, to be released next year.

The translation patch will work on-the-fly for every version and every region combination of Fatal Frame IV / Wii. 
    misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By misfit119

Isn't the Homebrew channel getting nuked by Nintendo though? Like weren't they bricking Wii's that had the channel? I'm curious about importing this, and buying a second hand Wii (refuse to give Nintendo my money), but I don't want to get one and then have it get bricked on me.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    @misfit119 said:

" Isn't the Homebrew channel getting nuked by Nintendo though? Like weren't they bricking Wii's that had the channel? I'm curious about importing this, and buying a second hand Wii (refuse to give Nintendo my money), but I don't want to get one and then have it get bricked on me. "

Nintendo is half a globe behind the modders. And Nintendo bricking Wiis was a one-time accident that could happen to everyone and any console, not just the modded ones.

Edit: But you don't need the homebrew channel for this patch! It works on unmodded Wii's as well.
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Junpei

Can't wait for the translation to release. My friend Jeff studied abroad all last semester in Japan and bought me a copy of the game along with some old SMT games and I can't wait to get a crack at it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.