Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zombie

Concept »

Zombies, more accurately called the walking dead, are reanimated corpses who feed on the living, and have become a ubiquitous video game enemy. They often move slowly, but can be deadly in large numbers, which is unfortunately how they tend to travel. Shotgun time!

Are Zombies on the way out?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By oraknabo

In a recent article, With Obama election comes the return of the vampire, San Diego Tribune's Peter Rowe theorizes that the popularity of Zombie and Vampire movies come in waves based on which political party controls the government. He argues that Obama's win ushers in a new age of vampire fiction, pointing to True Blood and Twilight as early indicartors.

“Democrats, who want to redistribute wealth to 'Main Street,' fear the Wall Street vampires who bleed the nation dry,” Newitz argued, noting that Dracula and his ilk arose from the aristocracy. “Republicans fear a revolt of the poor and disenfranchised, dressed in rags and coming to the White House to eat their brains.”
    Even if he's right, I'm not sure if the same thing works with games. The first Castlevania games came out during Reagan's Presidency and Resident Evil came out at the end Clinton's first term. Both are Japanese though, so it's hard to argue that American politics would have had a role in inspiring them except for maybe a role in influencing their US sales.

I think overall, zombies are more interesting for games, especially when game AI is rarely smarter then your average zombie. Most vampire games I can think of are Japanese except the Buffy and White Wolf games. Bethesda puts vampires in their games, but I can't think of anything that's been announced that will feature them heavily in the next few years.  Anyone know of any upcoming titles that might hint at a trend?
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By oraknabo

In a recent article, With Obama election comes the return of the vampire, San Diego Tribune's Peter Rowe theorizes that the popularity of Zombie and Vampire movies come in waves based on which political party controls the government. He argues that Obama's win ushers in a new age of vampire fiction, pointing to True Blood and Twilight as early indicartors.

“Democrats, who want to redistribute wealth to 'Main Street,' fear the Wall Street vampires who bleed the nation dry,” Newitz argued, noting that Dracula and his ilk arose from the aristocracy. “Republicans fear a revolt of the poor and disenfranchised, dressed in rags and coming to the White House to eat their brains.”
    Even if he's right, I'm not sure if the same thing works with games. The first Castlevania games came out during Reagan's Presidency and Resident Evil came out at the end Clinton's first term. Both are Japanese though, so it's hard to argue that American politics would have had a role in inspiring them except for maybe a role in influencing their US sales.

I think overall, zombies are more interesting for games, especially when game AI is rarely smarter then your average zombie. Most vampire games I can think of are Japanese except the Buffy and White Wolf games. Bethesda puts vampires in their games, but I can't think of anything that's been announced that will feature them heavily in the next few years.  Anyone know of any upcoming titles that might hint at a trend?
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

Zombies and Vampires relate to politics? ...What has the fantasy world come to?! Isn't the point of fantasy to escape reality?!

Zombies are becoming stale, in my opinion, because games that should not have zombies are incorporating them in somehow. As long as it can make sense and it works well for the game, I think zombies are fine, otherwise I don't think they should be included. I think a good vampire game could be made soon, and by that I am not including any future CastleVania titles.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

Can never have enough zombies or vampires or werewolves. Not enough werewolves, if you ask me. I wish White Wolf would have finished their werewolf game.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oraknabo

I usually like werewolf movies, but there hasn't really been a great werewolf game, unless you count Altered Beast.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    oraknabo said:
    "I usually like werewolf movies, but there hasn't really been a great werewolf game, unless you count Altered Beast."
      Harry Potter
    Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Yit

Vampires are for fools.

Zombie pride!

DoMiNiC147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoMiNiC147

I like Zombies but I won't mind taking a break to play some other monster games.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By End_Boss
    @oraknabo: Zombies on the way out? That's it. We're fighting.

Your dukes. Put them up.
    Your dukes. Put them up.

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By IcySandman

Everything has a peak and a fall, an I believe for video games it's still rising/getting close to it's peak.  THAN it'll go down, not much though, and make a comeback later on.

Haven't seen any other great monster related games that I've heard.  There was that one game Legendary, but all I've seen is that people said it was bad.  Perhaps another time for werewolves and vampires etc. etc...

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oriental_Jams

That...guy...is...a...fool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.