Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zombie

Concept »

Zombies, more accurately called the walking dead, are reanimated corpses who feed on the living, and have become a ubiquitous video game enemy. They often move slowly, but can be deadly in large numbers, which is unfortunately how they tend to travel. Shotgun time!

Book Review: The Zombie Survival Guide

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

No Caption Provided

Hello again Bombers, I’m back with a quick review today, this one on Max Brooks’ “The Zombie Survival Guide.” After reading the aforementioned author’s fantastic zombie opus “World War Z,” I felt I would be doing myself a disservice by not checking out his first foray into the undead world.

Unfortunately, The Zombie Survival Guide is exactly as the title suggests: a rather stale handbook explaining--in excruciating detail--the precautions one should take when dealing with an undead uprising. In fact, Brooks is so painfully thorough throughout the book that you can’t help but think he may have already taken some of the precautionary steps he describes. Whether he’s telling you exactly which kind of nylon rope you should pack into your survival kit (including thickness and weight load capacity) or explaining why a chainsaw is not the preferred close combat weapon of the zombie survivalist, Brooks explores such minutiae as to make you wonder just how seriously he takes himself. The result is a dry take on its squishy subject matter that often feels like reading a textbook.

All-in-all, The Zombie Survival guide makes for a good coffee table or throne room read. Something to flip through a couple pages of while you’re otherwise engaged and move through at your own pace. Three out of five stars.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

No Caption Provided

Hello again Bombers, I’m back with a quick review today, this one on Max Brooks’ “The Zombie Survival Guide.” After reading the aforementioned author’s fantastic zombie opus “World War Z,” I felt I would be doing myself a disservice by not checking out his first foray into the undead world.

Unfortunately, The Zombie Survival Guide is exactly as the title suggests: a rather stale handbook explaining--in excruciating detail--the precautions one should take when dealing with an undead uprising. In fact, Brooks is so painfully thorough throughout the book that you can’t help but think he may have already taken some of the precautionary steps he describes. Whether he’s telling you exactly which kind of nylon rope you should pack into your survival kit (including thickness and weight load capacity) or explaining why a chainsaw is not the preferred close combat weapon of the zombie survivalist, Brooks explores such minutiae as to make you wonder just how seriously he takes himself. The result is a dry take on its squishy subject matter that often feels like reading a textbook.

All-in-all, The Zombie Survival guide makes for a good coffee table or throne room read. Something to flip through a couple pages of while you’re otherwise engaged and move through at your own pace. Three out of five stars.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

The funny thing was it was almost exactly as in-depth as the survival science class i took in high school

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By teptom
    @AgentJ: Do you mean a "survive in the wilderness'" type class.

Yeah, the book is great in short doses. When I tried to read it in long intervals though, I got bored.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @Shini4444 said:
    " @AgentJ: Do you mean a "survive in the wilderness'" type class.

Yeah, the book is great in short doses. When I tried to read it in long intervals though, I got bored.
    "
    Yeah. The teacher was a guy that had climbed to the highest point in every state and 6 of the 7 continents, and knew practically everything about surviving in a tough situation. We had an entire notebook worth of notes, but I loved every second of that class. Stupidly enough (after he had been there for over 30 years, since the school was founded) they let him go over budget concerns. I suppose it gives him more time to do more climbing. We learned about how to watch for avalanche danger areas, what your priorities are in a survival situation, and just how idiotic those shows on the discovery channel were. 
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By snide

World War Z was a great book. Funny note I'm sure you're aware of. Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By teptom
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @Shini4444 said:
    " @AgentJ: Do you mean a "survive in the wilderness'" type class.

"
    Yeah. The teacher was a guy that had climbed to the highest point in every state and 6 of the 7 continents, and knew practically everything about surviving in a tough situation. We had an entire notebook worth of notes, but I loved every second of that class. Stupidly enough (after he had been there for over 30 years, since the school was founded) they let him go over budget concerns. I suppose it gives him more time to do more climbing. We learned about how to watch for avalanche danger areas, what your priorities are in a survival situation, and just how idiotic those shows on the discovery channel were. 
    "
    That sounds like one of best classes ever. The same thing happened with budget firing around here.  My school mostly just has the run-of-mill electives. Although, we may be getting a Forensics class next year.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Great book! Tthere is also a vampire survival guide that ive seen but not looked at, and the author max brooks wrote world war Z (See dave snider's post.)

I do find it hilarious that someone actually wrote a book on this.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By End_Boss
    @Mikemcn said:
    "

Great book! Tthere is also a vampire survival guide that ive seen but not looked at, and the author max brooks wrote world war Z (See dave snider's post.)

I do find it hilarious that someone actually wrote a book on this.

"
    Or see my review of World War Z. I linked it in the first post. ;)
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

WHATEVER DUDE I HAVE THIS BOOK AND I USED IT TO EQUIP MY HOUSE SO WHEN THE ZOMBIES COME I WILL BE SAFE AND YOU WILL BE EATEN.

*ahem*

in seriousness, World War Z is way better. Zombie Survival guide is something to glance through while you go for a dump.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Endogene

I listened to an audio book version of it (Reading text is really tiresome for me) and through out the whole thing i was thinking about what i would do and such and how it would be great to have a video game made build upon the "rules" told in this book. Shamefully though it has not been made into a video game.

It is indeed a bit boring when reading/(listening in my case) for long sessions but it is rather enjoyable in small bursts. Like Sweep suggested its a great book to read while taking a dump.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By jhosaphat
    @snide:
    He also was a writer for SNL. I'm pretty sure they are making a movie of World War Z.
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Matt_

I thought it was hilarious. Sure it's dry but I think that's supposed to the point. It's a satirization of an actual survival guide. So the dry, in-depth descriptions add to the satire.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai

I love that book, reading it in HS always got weird looks from teachers. Then they would ask "Whats that?" and I would reply "The most important book ever."

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Xandurson

My friend read this book and told me some stuff in it and it just made me laugh so hard. I still haven't checked it out but I want to same with World War Z.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Tuggah

I think it would have benefited from some more humor. Still a fun read.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By PureRok

I loved the Zombie Survival Guide. I read through the whole thing in one sitting. Twice.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I was thinking of getting it, should I?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.