Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zynga

Company »

Zynga is a developer famous for creating social online games for Facebook. They have recently started moving those apps onto the iPhone.

Zynga Just Bought the Developer of Draw Something

• 92 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Because this news day refuses to stop crashing wave after wave of craziness upon our heads, we now learn that OMGPOP, the developer of the newly, wildly popular iOS game Draw Something, has just been acquired by professional mobile game developer acquirers Zynga.

In case you were wondering, THIS is why Draw Something is great.

Rumors had been swirling a bit over the last few weeks, since the game's popularity exploded. Zynga reportedly has a 3pm announcement call scheduled to acknowledge the deal, but All Things D has the early scoop that the Zynga/OMGPOP deal is done, and for around $180 million, with an additional $30 million in employee retention payments.

Draw Something has become a bona fide iOS phenomenon in the last several weeks, so it's no surprise that Zynga would be in a hurry to try and get in on the game's success since, well, that's just kind of what Zynga does.

Hilariously, the sudden popularity of Draw Something seems to even baffle those involved with the title. One of OMGPOP's original financial backers is quoted in the All Things D story saying, "No one had any idea that this would take off, and no one knows why it did." That "why is anything anything?" mentality adds a degree of logic to this sale--after all, if you have no idea why the thing you just put money into is selling so well, why would you object to making a whole bunch more money off of it right now?

Supposedly the OMGPOP team, which is quoted as having around 40 employees based out of New York City, will be sticking around following the deal. As to whether they'll be asked to give Draw Something the "...with Friends" treatment, we do not know. But I wouldn't be shocked if at some point in the near future, those annoying Zynga cartoon people suddenly started showing up in my games to see if I want to buy some new drawing tools. Disappointed, certainly, but not shocked.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Because this news day refuses to stop crashing wave after wave of craziness upon our heads, we now learn that OMGPOP, the developer of the newly, wildly popular iOS game Draw Something, has just been acquired by professional mobile game developer acquirers Zynga.

Rumors had been swirling a bit over the last few weeks, since the game's popularity exploded. Zynga reportedly has a 3pm announcement call scheduled to acknowledge the deal, but All Things D has the early scoop that the Zynga/OMGPOP deal is done, and for around $180 million, with an additional $30 million in employee retention payments.

Draw Something has become a bona fide iOS phenomenon in the last several weeks, so it's no surprise that Zynga would be in a hurry to try and get in on the game's success since, well, that's just kind of what Zynga does.

Hilariously, the sudden popularity of Draw Something seems to even baffle those involved with the title. One of OMGPOP's original financial backers is quoted in the All Things D story saying, "No one had any idea that this would take off, and no one knows why it did." That "why is anything anything?" mentality adds a degree of logic to this sale--after all, if you have no idea why the thing you just put money into is selling so well, why would you object to making a whole bunch more money off of it right now?

Supposedly the OMGPOP team, which is quoted as having around 40 employees based out of New York City, will be sticking around following the deal. As to whether they'll be asked to give Draw Something the "...with Friends" treatment, we do not know. But I wouldn't be shocked if at some point in the near future, those annoying Zynga cartoon people suddenly started showing up in my games to see if I want to buy some new drawing tools. Disappointed, certainly, but not shocked.

the_dudefather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By the_dudefather

ZYNNNNGGAGGAAAA!!!!

lordthinktank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lordthinktank

Love Draw Something, not sure if I like Zynga. :|

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

that sounds like an iOS game alright

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Branthog

Today's big money isn't in making awesome quality products with depth, complexity, heart, and focus on serving the player. It's in making a bunch of soulless crap and hoping that eventually one of your ideas will stick and everyone will buy it (or someone like Google or Zynga or Facebook will buy you). We live in a world where starting a successful company and running it for decades isn't the goal. Making something, hitting it big quickly, then selling it to a bigger fish so you can go back to making another thing all over again to sell to another bigger fish is where we are, now. This is the "make a website, get some traffic, sell it on a "start your own business/website" site and earn a few grand from the sale method -- only bigger.

So, make something mom's would enjoy. And grandparents. That's your real money. Don't even be clever about it. Just repackage shit that the rest of the world has been playing for thirty or forty years -- they wont' know any better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f80be8681c07
    deactivated-5f80be8681c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See success, buy it.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By HadesTimes

Zynga doesn't need to be creative when they can buy developers that are.

chaihazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chaihazuki

I will never support Zynga.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet

Make that money!!!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

I was going to try DrawSomething, but it wouldn't let me without my Facebook info. So I said "fuck you very kindly" and played Harbour Master instead.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By winsord

Don't know that I want to visit OMGPOP anymore following this. If things remain the way they are, then whatever, but this seems like it'll go south fast.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goldanas

@HadesTimes said:

@zombie007 said:

See success, buy it.

The same could be said of Valve.

Or any business venture for that matter. Hell, it's what happened with GiantBomb.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By CrimsonNoir

Good for OMGPOP, getting paid for making something quality.

deinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deinos

@TheHT said:

I was going to try DrawSomething, but it wouldn't let me without my Facebook info. So I said "fuck you very kindly" and played Harbour Master instead.

Been playing for awhile, never needed to use my Facebook login....

Avatar image for deactivated-5f80be8681c07
    deactivated-5f80be8681c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Goldanas: I know. It's a valid business strategy.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrMazz

I'd take the money and run.

I love how Zynga is reviled in the hardcore space but man moms sure love that stuff.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By churrific

That was really fast.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By admanb

Cool/sad for the developer. Cool because they are now, hopefully, rich as shit. Sad because everything I've heard suggests Zynga is an awful place to work. Hopefully they got enough money that when they get sick of Zynga and quit they'll be able to start something cool.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By fobwashed

Woo, I'm on the title card here now =P

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pop

aww man, I've been on omgpop.com for a while and kind of know one of the guys working there, he streams on twitch and is really popular hope he doesn't get fired. Also Zynga is evil!!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By TheHT

@Deinos said:

@TheHT said:

Been playing for awhile, never needed to use my Facebook login....

I'll try it again then. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ezdude

I like that Zynga's profession is to, solely, acquire mobile developers. I honestly did not think Draw Something was as much of a phenomenon until Zynga acquired them. That's how you always know if a startup company hit a homerun, if Zynga tries to acquire them or not. Zynga is becoming a barometer of mobile industry success.

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thuggish

@TheHT said:

There is an option to use an email address to create an account and log in instead of Facebook (also lets you create a username in this process that you can hand out to friends).

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RazielCuts

surprised Zynga didn't just rip the idea off like they do from every other indie dev.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dezztroy
    @Goldanas said:

@HadesTimes said:

@zombie007 said:

See success, buy it.

Or any business venture for that matter. Hell, it's what happened with GiantBomb.

Compare Narbacular Drop and Portal.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Skald

I suggest, "Draw Something with FriendsVille" or vice versa.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theanticitizen

Well...so much for that game. Look what they did to Drop7

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UnrealDP

Could someone enlighten me on how draw something works? As an artist I can't imagine how you'd draw something like that on such a tiny... Oh hang, I guess people are using IPads for that stuff, eh? I was sitting here trying to fathom how I'd draw something like that with my fingers on my IPhone screen. That explains a ton.

Atom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Atom

"Sketch Anything!" should be out anyday, now

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Phatmac

Surprised Zynga didn't just copy it and call it something else. Like Draw Anything or Sketch Something.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By rjaylee

Sure wish I had $180 million dollars.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By Little_Socrates

FUCK OMG POP STRAIGHT FROM THE UNDERGROUND

Jaxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jaxboy

@Branthog said:

Today's big money isn't in making awesome quality products with depth, complexity, heart, and focus on serving the player. It's in making a bunch of soulless crap and hoping that eventually one of your ideas will stick and everyone will buy it (or someone like Google or Zynga or Facebook will buy you). We live in a world where starting a successful company and running it for decades isn't the goal. Making something, hitting it big quickly, then selling it to a bigger fish so you can go back to making another thing all over again to sell to another bigger fish is where we are, now. This is the "make a website, get some traffic, sell it on a "start your own business/website" site and earn a few grand from the sale method -- only bigger.

So, make something mom's would enjoy. And grandparents. That's your real money. Don't even be clever about it. Just repackage shit that the rest of the world has been playing for thirty or forty years -- they wont' know any better.

Considering the backlash heaped upon Bioware for Mass Effect 3, I'd say why bother doing anything else?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Branthog

@Jaxboy said:

@Branthog said:

Considering the backlash heaped upon Bioware for Mass Effect 3, I'd say why bother doing anything else?

Pretty much. Why deal with the hassle when you have a vastly larger audience with less experience that doesn't know better and therefor is easily entertained and, easily impressed, and not easily moved to complain right over there?

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By 234r2we232

If people hate the iOS and Facebooks just because of Zynga, well, okay, but there are plenty of iOS games that they didn't make and they're incredibly good for the price. Just throwing that out there.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Branthog

@UnrealDP said:

Could someone enlighten me on how draw something works? As an artist I can't imagine how you'd draw something like that on such a tiny... Oh hang, I guess people are using IPads for that stuff, eh? I was sitting here trying to fathom how I'd draw something like that with my fingers on my IPhone screen. That explains a ton.

They just use whatever. iPhone, iPad, Note. And there's not really any "game" to it. You get a word, you draw a picture of it, and the other person tries to guess what it is. There is no time limit and it's pretty easy to guess, because they only give you like eight or ten letters to choose from (so a HUGE hint right off the bat).

enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By enai

This bubble will burst at some point...

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Branthog

@CrimsonNoir said:

Good for OMGPOP, getting paid for making something

Fixed that for ya.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jozzy

I love the honesty here, not saying "Yeah, it's better for the players out there because now we have the backing of a bigger company". Nope, just the smart move of cashing in on your unexpected success.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By Hector

@chaiHazuki said:

I will never support Zynga.

Niether will I.

dudewhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dudewhat

Just PM'd you a news tip Alex, as I don't see a way to submit news tips through the website.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By butano

I'm surprised it took 5 years for a pictionary game to be released onto smartphones. That's what really baffles me.

manicmyna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By manicmyna

well I certainly won't be looking at getting the game now, & the bonus of that is I'll never see the the underhanded ways they'll try to wring money out of the players. they managed to even ruin hold'em with ads for a free hi-lo game just sending you to the store

I came to the conclusion that Zynga can go fuck themselves & their rather anti-social social game players can do the same too.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By abendlaender

professional mobile game developer acquirers Zynga

God bless you Alex

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By doobie

@Branthog said:

@UnrealDP said:

They just use whatever. iPhone, iPad, Note. And there's not really any "game" to it. You get a word, you draw a picture of it, and the other person tries to guess what it is. There is no time limit and it's pretty easy to guess, because they only give you like eight or ten letters to choose from (so a HUGE hint right off the bat).

but it is fun

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dezztroy said:

@Goldanas said:

@HadesTimes said:

@zombie007 said:

See success, buy it.

Compare Narbacular Drop and Portal.

Nope, even before that, try Team Fortress and Counter-Strike.

lithiumproject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lithiumproject

@Goldanas: thread/close

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FreakAche

I hate this game. Although that probably has more to do with the fact that I can't draw than it does with the game's actual quality.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By UnrealDP

@doobie said:

@Branthog said:

@UnrealDP said:

but it is fun

Er, indeed. Just got it and it seems pretty cool and fun, but damn do I wish my IPhone had a bigger screen.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By evilrazer

I like playing Draw Something when I have a free minute. Weirdest people out there, but they are still cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.