Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

No deals on Wii Us this Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

I always intended to get around to buying a Wii U but never did (though I came very close.) Now the console's lifespan is basically over and I was going to pick one up on the cheap to play its best games and to consolidate my Wii stuff on to. However, while the Xbox One and PS4 have both had bundles around $200 this year I haven't seen anything significant for the Wii U. Has anyone else? Systems usually get really cheap as they're being phased out but Nintendo doesn't seem interested in cutting the price, and I'm not paying $300 for a Wii U when a PS4 Pro is $340 some places (sometimes with a bundle!).

I wonder if there will be some rock bottom deals when retailers decide to flush the rest of the stock out of their system, or whether because it has been selling so poorly for so long there just isn't much stock around and it will never get super cheap, just slowly sell out and be gone.

This is the first Nintendo system I haven't gotten (other than the Virtual Boy) and I feel bad about that, but on the other hand I think it's ridiculous that the Xbox One and PS4 have had their prices basically cut in half since launch 3 years ago but the Wii U received 1 $50 price cut and that was it.

Nintendo is the most hostile company when it comes to people actually buying their products. The Wii had production shortages for over a year, the Wii U has stubbornly refused to compete with its more advanced counterparts on price, the 3DS was horribly overpriced at launch (though they did address that quickly) and the NES mini was short-supplied so badly that nobody even expects to be able to pick one up this holiday.

That's not even getting into Nintendo's horrible digital rights management policies or allergy to dropping the prices of old games.

Nintendo's motto should be "Nintendo: We make great games but we DO NOT want you to play them!"

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By avenlaya

I think it's safe to say Nintendo has completely left the WiiU out to dry. Its a shame too because there are actually quality games on it.

I think there's also a chance of no discount because of them stopping production. There was a article somewhere saying they have already shipped the last WiiUs coming to america to their partners (Walmart, Target, ect.) already. That being said, there is a difference in units being Shipped, and units being Sold. Nintendo is ramping up for March 2017 for the Switch and I don't think they want to try and sell you TWO consoles in the next 5 months.

In the end it'll be up to the retailers to discount the systems IMO, Nintendo has already written off the WiiU and probably just don't care at this point. I think there will be discount coming from the retailers for the WiiU at some point to empty stock for the Switch. It just may not be until after the holidays.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sadly no, I was looking too. And the only package left seems to be the Mario kart one, which is a shame since I have no interest in it. Hopefully there'll be a deal somewhere down the line, maybe right before Christmas?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenlaya: This seems right to me, but I don't quite understand it. Microsoft and Sony continued to support the Xbox 360 and PS3 until this year (and while Xbox 360 manufacturer has stopped there is still a trickle of releases and continued online sales to try to move software.) I realize those were much more successful systems, but it's ridiculous for a platform holder to drop support for their old platform almost half a year before the new one is out.

Plus Nintendo claimed that the Switch was not a successor to the Wii U but a third pillar with the Wii U and NX. Nobody believed them, but you'd think they'd either try to somewhat act like the claim was true or just not make it at all.

I remember when Nintendo's catch phrase was "get N or get out." Apparently they've dropped the "Get N" part.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@bigsocrates: Sony and Microsoft are massive technology corporations that operate on higher scales than Nintendo. Nintendo tends to shut off older hardware faster because they have to dedicate resources to make sure the next system gets off to a good start.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

GameStop has a used one with Mario and donkey kong for 190 before any discounts(and a wiimote?) Cheaper than the refurb I bought from Nintendo. Didn't think I'd see anything cheaper so I bought their Mario+Nintendo land bundle for 215 just a few weeks ago, preparing for Black Friday game deals

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By whitegreyblack

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.