Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Sep 13, 2019

Return to the Borderlands as one of a new team of Vault Hunters to stop a crazed, live-streaming cult known as The Children of the Vault spreading like an interstellar plague.

Bordelands 3 Officially Announced

• 69 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So they did it, Gearbox officially unveiled Borderlands 3 at PAX today. More details to come on April 3rd, a day on which Borderlands 1 Remastered and a 4k/HDR update for Handsome collection will also drop.

I can already tell, Jeff and most of the crew will hate this game. Hahaha, it's more borderlands for sure.

I'm curious to see how they change it up though because as much as I played the HELL out of ALL of the games, and again with the collection, I'm not sure if I'm primed for "another one of those". If they keep the tone and everything the same that's fine, I enjoyed it for some dumb times, but they need to shakeup the gameplay/characters a bit.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they did it, Gearbox officially unveiled Borderlands 3 at PAX today. More details to come on April 3rd, a day on which Borderlands 1 Remastered and a 4k/HDR update for Handsome collection will also drop.

I can already tell, Jeff and most of the crew will hate this game. Hahaha, it's more borderlands for sure.

I'm curious to see how they change it up though because as much as I played the HELL out of ALL of the games, and again with the collection, I'm not sure if I'm primed for "another one of those". If they keep the tone and everything the same that's fine, I enjoyed it for some dumb times, but they need to shakeup the gameplay/characters a bit.

I'm more ready for a Borderlands than other shlooter-likes. Borderlands is really the only one to stick that formula so far. Whether I'll be burned out on them by that point is another matter entirely.

Although if they don't have a unique gun called "The Magic USB," I might be out.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If this is just more Borderlands, that's fine by me. 1 was really good, and 2 was great, sense of humor aside. I just hope (and I feel like I've written this several times already) that they got the Tales From The Borderlands writers to do work on this game, because the writing needs to be better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess when I say I want them to "shakeup the gameplay", I should be careful to say that I DON'T want them to copy the shlooters that have come out since 2(Destiny, Anthem, Division, etc). I do not want an online focused rinse and repeat, instanced, experience.

From the trailer it looks, as much as one can tell, like they are keeping with the formula they've established in terms of world.

No matter what, I'm eager to see what they've been working on all this time.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I am completely ready for more Borderlands.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jesus_Phish

As others said, if this is just more Borderlands then that's 100% fine by me. I'm ready for more Borderlands, I don't want them to copy anything from any other those other games. In fact I don't even really want them to shake up the game play.

Besides it's only the 4th one of these and the first actual new one this generation.

Have good guns, good character trees and it'll all be fine for me.

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm cautiously optimistic but really hoping they tone back the "humor". By the end of 2 I was just forcing myself through the dialogue so I could just play the fun game underneath.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

I dunno I watched that trailer and all I could keep thinking is "thats it?"

After all this time it appears, on the surface anyway, to be just.. another Borderlands? Even the visuals don't seem to have gotten much of an upgrade.

I guess for people that wanted more of the same this is heaven. Had a blast playing Borderlands 2 but I was hoping this would keep the gameplay but just be, I dunno, more modern? Less of the same? Kind of like how Rage 2 took that base game and you can tell it's the same good shooting but they really amped things up.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it was just the lack of any dialog, but that trailer made me feel like the game is still pretty far being finished.

Still, what I did see looks pretty good to me. I'm ready for more Borderlands, it's been long enough that even something pretty similar to the old games would feel relatively new.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Efesell

It's been long enough I could just use More Borderlands for sure. It leaves very little indication that they're gonna change the tone much so that'll be an issue for some.. but listen.. I kinda liked all that nonsense anyway.

Even Tiny Tina.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I even liked claptrap...he was a charming imbecile.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GUNS WITH LEGS!!!

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'm totally down for More Borderlands. While I didn't love the tone of 2, I did love playing it and have yet to find anything that gets as close to "Diablo with guns" that feels as satisfying. I'm hopeful/sure there will be new mechanics and things introduced later, and I'm eager to see what they are.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By chilibean_3

The only good loot shooter franchise is coming back and I'm pretty excited about it.

I didn't mess with the pre-sequel so I've been starved for a good shlooter. Already dreaming about those classes and skill trees. Give me a good Siren and let's gooooooooooo.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do hope that more than say a dozen of those billion guns are fun to shoot this time though.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Being fed-up with all the high-commitment bullshit of the modern loot shooter, I really hope this is “more Borderlands” with some lessons learned.

Consider me cautiously optimistic.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I'm here for buff Siren with Asura arms.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a very good trailer, reminded me of Smash "everyone is here!".
    I'm of the mind that all they need to do with this game is make Borderlands, make it the game we know and love, there has been a lot of shit in the "shlooter" genre in recent years... pretty much everything since Destiny, except The Division i suppose, if they try and cut things up in ways other games have to promote microtransactions it's going to be a real lame return.
    Make it Borderlands, don't try and get fancy with MMO elements, material farming or other modern buzzkills, just make it a good old fashioned co-op Borderlands experience.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I’d rather a game be silly than...whatever the fuck you want to call Destiny/Division/Anthem...forgettable, bland, wallpaper...

Mr. Torque was a great time. Even if a lot of those games was eye-roll-inducing, you and your friends could eye-roll together.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin: Most loot shooters have incredibly bland and boring writing that you completely miss.

Borderlands...at least you didn’t miss all the voice work. Love it or hate it, I can remember Tiny Tina’s badonkadonk dialog. I guess that’s a step ahead of the rest and something to build off of...

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can go for another one of these but the graphics are dated right out of the gate. Seems like they won't be changing much too which is kind of a shame because I don't want this to be another pre-sequel.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nutter said:

Being fed-up with all the high-commitment bullshit of the modern loot shooter, I really hope this is “more Borderlands” with some lessons learned.

Consider me cautiously optimistic.

Here here!

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll come back IF Claptrap dies in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure I will enjoy this anyway, but they've been teasing the "multiple worlds" thing since the end of 2, and boy do all of those worlds look the same as Pandora. The trailer felt pretty underwhelming overall, it didn't have much bite to it, and essentially teased the same gameplay loop and trotted out all the same old characters (are we really not done with Lilith yet?).

I'm being negative but if I'm honest, the only thing that'll really kill this game for me is if the skill tree is still unnoticeable 3% increases to some stat that only changes the gameplay when you're level 50 and have a complimentary build.

KevinWalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bunch of Borderlands 1 and 2 and really enjoyed my time with them but this looks like more of the same. The gameplay loop of those games was great but nothing about this makes it seem like they couldn't make borderlands 3 on a PS3 or 360.......maybe something more grand will be shown later but this trailer bummed me out with how uninspired it all felt (besides when that lady went multi armed, that looked rad).

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ltcolumbo

They went real stupid. Thank goodness.

They had me at the unnecessary sax solo.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevinwalsh: I dunno...the went kinda Metal Gear Solid 4 with that walking gun.

Now I want a Borderlands game that takes inspiration from Metal Gear Solid 4...give Marcus a smoking monkey, have Zer0 stop an oil tanker with his body, make Old Roland fight a hypnotized Mr. Torque who thinks he’s Handsome Jack...

A billion gun stocks clacking...

...God, the stupidity would be glorious...

kevino13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad they've finally announced more Borderlands, but that trailer did absolutely 0 for me. There was no excitement, and no new information beyond showing what I assume are the villains? I'm still looking forward to seeing more, but as far as reveals go, this was actually pretty weak.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By frymillstrum

Still visually unappealing to me and looks dated, just like BL1+2 at launch...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Calling this a gameplay trailer is a stretch. I hope they add fashion to this game. If all I'm getting is random guns and I just pick a character and color palate I'll be disappointed.

mykeacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that conference was hilarious. randy pitchford is "i'm sorry i'm trying to delete" made flesh

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: After that trailer I’d be really surprised if there was gear to equip which changed your appearance.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very excited, but I also know how good Gearbox is at dropping the ball. I can't shake the feeling that they'll pull something like "Every chest needs a golden key, buy 100 keys for 39.99, best value!", or "Persistent online MMO gameplay, with survival and crafting!".

(I kid, but you never know anymore)

interlude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer really did nothing for me. I feel like it was constructed for most players that were already ready to play the new game; fan-service and all. But nothing in this showed what would separate this game from what has come before. For me this was Borderlands 2 biggest pit fall (and to a MUCH greater extent The Pre-Sequel).

However, it was possibly hinted that the worlds that we go to will have a more robust, truly open-world. Obviously Borderlands has a open-ended feeling with fast-travel but I couldn't stand the bland-large level design of the previous titles. More than worth the price of admission if they can conquer this hurdle.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've had years to think about this. I hope they make the right calls. I'm ready, though. Destiny 2 was okay but there's an itch that only a good Borderlands can scratch.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

While I am definitely hoping the gameplay evolves somewhat...it's still pretty easy to excite me over Borderlands. I liked this trailer and I'm fucking ready for it. I will also be buying the BL1 remaster next week. I've been wanting to play that game but better for a long damn time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

7 years since Borderlands 2, and this initial trailer sure does look a lot like Borderlands 2. Hopefully there will be something else on top of that. Say what you will about Destiny and the numerous ways they’ve fumbled the ball, the *actual shooting* in those games is top notch, which is more than can be said for Borderlands infinite variety of bad guns.

At the very least, I hope they take the right cues from Tales from the Borderlands on the writing front... but I’m not entirely optimistic about that either.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

After years of Anthem's and Destiny's, I'm ready for an actually good loot shooter to come out. If this is as good as Borderlands 1 + 2 at the time of their release, I'm 100% in.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta be honest here, I wasn't impressed by the trailer. It's definitely more Borderlands which I enjoyed all those years ago. But now we are living in a post Destiny age that pretty much improved the formula ten fold. I'm worried the game won't have all of the quality of life improvements added during the past 6 years. Hopefully Gearbox takes all the good features and leaves out all the bad. If not, then the game will end up feeling like an outdated chore to play.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I've been playing through BL2 with my brother and a friend, and we just started the Pre-Sequel this week. So I have a lot of current thoughts on Borderlands.

A change I'd love to see is the ability to modify or improve existing weapons. Nothing more annoying than getting a weapon with great stats and a terrible scope. And I have an INTENSE dislike for weapons that say, "Uses 3 rounds per shot." That's so annoying. Just tell me how many rounds I have. (Weapons that are specifically set to burst fire are different.)

I'm excited about the idea of going to different worlds in the Borderlands universe.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

That looks like a 360 game. I’m not that much of a graphics snob, but a game from an established developer that looks like it could have run on last generation’s hardware is pretty pathetic.

jezzah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jezzah

Happened to look through my steam list and note that BL2 was one of those games that I'd devoted a significant amount of my time playing. Much more than most. Twice I tried jumping into Pre-Sequel and twice I bounced off pretty quickly.

My problems with the existing Borderlands can be summed up in a few points but take them in the context of the following. I only play Borderlands solo.

1. Much of the game uses old MMO design tropes.

• It's easy to point to the numerous quests that revolve around Kill 10 "things" or collect 5 "objects" but that isn't as bad as the points to come.
    • Being forced to navigate over the same environments many times which respawn enemies makes my actions in this area feel undervalued. Sure I can get some loot but without greater motivation then I am just pulling a lever on the slot machine. These areas are just padding out the game and don't add to the experience. Diablo at least randomises the layouts (note - Hellgate tried this and it was ok but not great) but failing that just have a shorter but more gripping run through like say, Doom.
    • NPC's can have great introductions with well animated sequences but after that they become almost lifeless mailboxes that you go to for quests. If you see they have the MMO "!" icon then cool go get a quest. Unfortunately that quest is delivered in text like an email, while I stand in front of this person. Compare this to the Mass Effect trilogy. In Mass Effect there is often an animated, natural conversation that leads to a quest. I'm not saying Borderlands needs a dialogue system, I just think that modern games like these should move beyond the quest pop up delivery method as it feels like a quantity vs quality trade-off.
    I feel like if you really cared you would at least look at me, or you know talk to me...
    I feel like if you really cared you would at least look at me, or you know talk to me...

2. There is a real lack of character customization.

• If the story doesn't rely on who I play as why force me to look like "X" if I want "Y" skills?
    • Adding to the above, I need way more than colour (Aussie spelling) palettes if I already don't like how I am portrayed. At the bare minimum can I pick my gender?
    Why force everyone that wants to dual wield to be a white guy with a mohawk?
    Why force everyone that wants to dual wield to be a white guy with a mohawk?

3. Looting is sooooo slow.

• This is what pushed me off my recent attempt at Pre-Sequel. Having to wait for each chest/box/container to animate open to see what was inside was infuriating when they are almost everywhere. At some point it occurred to me that I don't have to open them, but then why have them? To annoy the person that does open them? Hopefully there is a quality of life improvement in BL3 for this.

4. The UI is very outdated

• While at the time the UI was visually interesting and mostly functional there have been many advancements in UI design since BL2. Its such a crucial element to the user experience I really hope they examine what players need, and want to do on any given screen and ensure that it's easy and seamless. Large dev teams have a knack for valuing form over function - I'm looking at you Bethesda.
    What is even happening here? The visual heirarchy is all over the place.
    What is even happening here? The visual heirarchy is all over the place.

So what from the BL3 trailer looks to address any of those? Nothing. Which bums me out. Especially when I just watched the BL2 trailer which is almost identical. Does every BL launch trailer now need a dance sequence with claptrap? Or maybe it's meant to be referential... I don't know.

Here's hoping they just released a meh trailer and there's significant changes and info about them to come.

Loading Video...

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Give me more Borderlands. Give me more claptrap. Give me more tiny tina. I am ready.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna echo some of the sentiments of being so tired of watered down mmo shlooters that I'm all in on a new Borderlands. Give me guns with legs and shit all day compared to the monotonous grind of Destiny.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Tennmuerti

I am all on board, it's been a long time since BL2.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: why would they do anything else when the overwhelming sentiment I’ve seen online is “more of the same is exactly what I wanted.” I don’t wanna knock those people because if that’s your thing then sure but this is the (technically) 4th game in the series where each entry was generally more of the same - seems like a bit of fresh air would be a welcome change.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: I mean, those concerns plus battle royale are my fears for most games.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious what the big changes will be because if it's just more borderlands I really got no interest in that.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Oh, I’d love something new and different, IF new and different didn’t usually end up as:

1) loot boxes/key schemes

2) watered-down shared world

3) battle royale

To me, these things are a significant issue. A lot of my once favorite developers are chasing the goose looking for golden eggs.

I spent two generations playing A LOT of Bungie, Bioware, and Clancy (Ubisoft Montreal, Red Storm) games. All these folks have gotten caught up in making these grindy loot games that live on making number go up.

Even listening to the Bombcast, when an old game is rumored to be getting a sequel, they’re like “numbers? loot? treadmill? I can’t be in without those!” It blows my mind. I find the treadmill to be so transparent and poorly designed, but the whole world is currently enamored with it.

I used to love Diablo 2 dearly, for decades. I can tell you that I can’t play Diablo 3 any more after all the shit I’ve dealt with in Destiny, Division, and Anthem (the demo was enough). They’ve ruined it.

I’m going to checkout the upgraded Handsome Collection to see if this shit similarly ruined Borderlands for me, too. Better to know now that find out after grabbing a copy of Borderlands 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.