Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Double Dragon Trilogy

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 04, 2013

DotEmu brings the first three Double Dragon arcade titles to mobile, Ouya, and PC.

Anybody else pick this up on Steam?

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Was excited when I heard the news a week back that Double Dragon Trilogy was coming to Steam, but the product itself ended up being somewhat underwhelming. All three original arcade games are included, as well as some barebones extras. You've got a few difficulty modes, a "story" mode that's really just a level select, and the option for remixed music for Double Dragons 1 and 2. The games also have fully remappable controls, and Double Dragon 2 even has an "easy controls" option that makes punch always your forward attack and kick always your backwards attack, though you can also use the original left/right attack system. There's also a graphics filtering option that you should turn off immediately. Without it the game looks as you'd expect.

Unfortunately the emulation isn't quite up to snuff. First off they've redrawn the HUD but give no option to use the originals, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Second, the music isn't actually being emulated. Instead the game is playing .OGG files, which fade out at the end and then restart rather than properly looping. And lastly, for Double Dragon 1 at least they removed the ending. Right after you beat the final boss the game cuts to a static screen with GAME OVER in the center and your final score. Both the ending and the original credits are skipped, and this is easily my biggest problem with it.

Still, if you're looking to just play Double Dragon and don't necessarily care about 100% accuracy it seems like a decent product, especially at ~$5. (Currently Double Dragon Trilogy is $4.79, but will jump up to $5.99 starting on the 22nd) It also has online co-op, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for the quality of the netcode. Personally though, I'm somewhat disappointed.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I thought it was super weird to see it on Steam tbh. Double Dragon is cool but this collection just seems incredibly bare bones. It's almost like this should have been a bonus when you bought Double Dragon Neon or something, not something you would sell on it's own

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By damodar

It's a bummer to hear that it has those weird issues.

It seems like a weird mix of making an effort in some areas, like offering the remixed music, adding some options like difficulty etc, but coming up short with things like the way the music system works and that amaaaaaazingly bland font treatment on the new HUD. I see that it's by DotEmu. They did a decent job with the presentation and stuff on their Metal Slug ports, although the actual emulation in those isn't great. It seems like the game speed constantly fluctuates ever so slightly, which causes some issues, not least of which are some really obvious problems with the audio.

Still, the current price on this is pretty reasonable.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I tweeted at the about the ending issue and they confirmed they're working to fix it, so at the very least that part should be resolved eventually. Hopefully they'll do something about the music too.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I use to play the first one in the arcades so I bought it yesterday after work, only had 15 mins or so to try it out though. Pretty happy so far but really my expectations were just the original with online play.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think you'd probably have a much more enjoyable experience with Double Dragon Neon, personally. This collection seems... half-assed, at best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.