I failed the road test 3 times. Am I the worst? Should I even bother to continue?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I failed it 5 times and i still don't have it :(

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@lead_dispencer said:

Do not compare yourself to others. I passed my examine with flying colors when I was 16 on Friday morning before school. Saturday afternoon I got in a fender bender. Guarantee no one here can beat that record of less than 48 hours.

It's ok. Everyone can laugh at me

I had my driver's licence when I turned 18 for two days and got into a head on collision that totaled my car. Granted, the other driver was at fault, but hoo boy did that take a long time to live down. You are filled to the brim with confidence when you first get your licence, and that was twice as true for me since I had passed everything with such flying colors, but it doesn't mean shit; hours and hours of solid, supervised driving where nothing goes wrong have no bearing on whether or not someone decides red is the new green. In the long run, since no one was seriously injured, it was an outstanding formative experience; it taught me that people aren't always going to follow the rules and relying on them to do so is a fantastic way to get yourself killed.

I haven't had so much as a ticket in the dozen or so years since, but while I'd love to say my paranoid style of driving is responsible for that, it's obvious to me that luck plays a much larger role in driving a vehicle than it should. Bring on the driverless revolution ASAP.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Grixxel

Failed first time and second time. Third time my dad got me an instructor who taught me not how to drive but to specifically do the shit you need to do to just to pass the test. A month later I had my license (back then in Puerto Rico you had to wait about a month between tries). Fifteen years later I've yet to be pulled over and luckily enough have never been in an accident. Mostly has nothing to do with your ability to drive and it's just about doing exactly what they are looking for to put on their shitty piece of paper.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Went a fourth time to the same test center after practicing on my own time for while. Passed, but I get the feeling it was a close call.

Airplane GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Superfly3760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Hey, congrats! I think I passed on my fourth try as well. What a weight off my shoulder that was.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I failed my theory test a couple of times and got pissed of and disencouraged and quit for while, I did my driving and theory at the same time to minimize my time spent trying to get my lisence. My driving was going well enough but those theory tests were the death of me, even when acing the practice tests I got on USB and books I studied wasn't enough, I over think too much and panic/blank out.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Congrats \o/

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By BisonHero

Congrats! I love that Airplane gif.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By Dray2k

@aegon: Hey its ok, congrats on passing the test.

There is no need to be reminiscent about previous shortcomings. Look forward and be happy.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By DocHaus
wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats on finally passing.

As some other posters have mentioned, in the US, it is comparatively easy to pass both the written and driving tests. Most of the written test is common sense. The driving test is also easy, but can be harder if your inspector is strict. Also, you do not need a perfect score to pass either test. I think I got above 90% on both tests, and that was easily passing. I think below 70 or 80% is the cut-off?

I do feel your pain, though. I tried to get a license while I was living in Japan, and you need 100% to pass (only on the driving portion). Needless to say, I failed twice and never got a Japanese license.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Jaymii

Congrats! Now the real driving begins!

(I will say, according to my instructor since I failed three times originally too, it's quite common for people to actually pass after they give up hope. Not that this is necessarily the case here, but it's something I've always thought about.)

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115  Edited By zombievac

@wumbo3000 said:

The problem with these tests is that they make you do shit that normal people would NEVER fucking do while driving in real life. I remember I was docked several points because I forgot to look both ways at EVERY SINGLE intersection I crossed. Who the fuck does that other than at stop signs?

Wait, why would you NOT?? You trust that every single driver at every single intersection is never going to blow the light? They do, a lot more often than you seem to assume. Also, everyone should keep in mind that the number 1 cause of death under a certain age (50?) is driving. Prescription drugs may have just headed that number down a bit in the US, but it's still REALLY important. Treat is as life or death, because it is, and practice until you're just not nervous. Nervous drivers cause accidents... but usually minor, low-speed ones at least!

I only say this not to scare you OP, but to point out how important driving is. It's possibly the most dangerous thing you'll ever do in modern life... not always, but possibly. And young people are the WORST at assessing risk... I know I was, and it was nothing compared to some friends. Practice in a safe environment until you're comfortable, even if that's years. Very few people in the US take it anywhere near seriously enough, at least until they have kids...