Voice Audio Crackles in Headphones...But Not Speakers?

Avatar image for inspectorfowler
inspectorfowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By inspectorfowler

I know, I know, using the community as tech support. But I thought this brain teaser might interest some folks and help me figure out a vexing issue.

We've all been doing more video meetings over Zoom, Teams, whatever.

I sorted out some USB interference issues a while back and for normal sounds such as game audio, video audio, whatever, my wireless headphones sound nice and clear. No stuttering, cutting in and out, etc.

However - incoming voicefrom video meetings has stuttering and chopping issues persistently. If I switch mid-meeting to my speakers, the voice is clear and continuous. So it's not a network issue - the voice data is getting to my PC just fine.

I have adjusted every single setting I can find in my Windows audio settings, the software that came with the headphones (Logitech G-Hub), and Zoom/Teams. I have tried routing through and also avoiding apps that "clean" the sound like Nvidia Broadcast; neither option seems to make a difference. I keep coming back to the reality that the second I switch the output to the speakers, the sound is cleaned up.

The speakers are being fed by a 3.5mm jack, the headphones by USB, but again - all other audio besides incoming voice is crystal clear.

Any thoughts on what is happening here?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@inspectorfowler: You know I've had this exact same issue with my BOSE noise canceling headphones a while back. I think there's a setting that puts them into headset mode or something like that in the bluetooth settings? If you can look at your bluetooth devices you might be able to switch them back. I forgot precisely how I fixed this a while back aside from just not using my headset for calls - it's been a while since I looked into it though!

Avatar image for inspectorfowler
inspectorfowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rorie said:

@inspectorfowler: You know I've had this exact same issue with my BOSE noise canceling headphones a while back. I think there's a setting that puts them into headset mode or something like that in the bluetooth settings? If you can look at your bluetooth devices you might be able to switch them back. I forgot precisely how I fixed this a while back aside from just not using my headset for calls - it's been a while since I looked into it though!

This is a good thought, and it absolutely was the issue with my Sony headphones at work. My work computer just suddenly decided that "hands free" was the right mode and the audio was terrible.

These only connect through a base "station" (a USB stick), though, and they use wifi instead of Bluetooth. They only show up as one device in the PC instead of two like the Sony headphones do (and your Bose headphones - same thing happened to my wife in the middle of an ESO session one time).

I have considered wifi interference but then why is all the other audio so clear? Gaaah. I'm in a two-day online training class and it's making me nuts.