Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

What's with all the Water Temple hate?

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lclay

I played through the water temple the other day and it was a piece of cake and I found it to be a perfectly fun temple but for years I have been hearing unrestrained vitriol against it and I just can't see why.

Admittedly, I hadn't played through it since I was about 12 and couldn't really remember it very well but I don't remember having trouble with it back then either. If anything, I'd say that the water temple in Majora's Mask was way harder; I remember being stuck in that for ages.

So why does everyone hate it so much?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

In the original N64 version, yo had to dig deep into the menus to get the boots that let you sink to the bottom before going back into the same menu do unequip them and then re-equip them for puzzle solving.

Also, it's a god damn water level

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Bass

I never really had an issue with the water temple either. I think a lot of people's issue with it is what Yanngc33 mentioned. People don't like shuffling through the menu to equip the iron boots only to take them off 5 or less seconds later. I think this was addressed in the 3DS version though, since you can now assign the boots to one of the on-screen buttons and switch them on and off with little effort (at least that is what I have heard).

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SamStrife

There's also a glitch in the original version where you can't get access to all the keys in the temple, which if it happens to you, you're fucked.  It happened to me, and after spending HOURS trying to find anything in the temple which could help (with the crappy boots and menu thing and all) I had to admit defeat and I never got to finish the game,

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MezZa

There was a spot in the temple where if you do something wrong then you can completely screw yourself over, and you'll never be able to finish the temple. Can't remember exactly what it was though. I think it was using keys in the wrong order or something?

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By YoungFrey

I played it when I was 23 and it never bothered me in any way.  It was years later when I learned I had actually had a terrible time.  In contrast, I hated the mini-game to get Epona so much I never finished it.  I played the entire game with no horse.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I didn't have a problem with the temple either. I played it a year or two ago on the Wii (virtual console release).

Which is more than I can say for Wind Waker. I haven't beat that yet.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By The_Nubster
    @SamStrife said:
    There's also a glitch in the original version where you can't get access to all the keys in the temple, which if it happens to you, you're fucked.  It happened to me, and after spending HOURS trying to find anything in the temple which could help (with the crappy boots and menu thing and all) I had to admit defeat and I never got to finish the game,
    This. I went through a phase where I played through the game once or twice a month, and every other goddamned time, I would run into this and wander around for hours like a dumbass before I realized my mistake. Such a piss-off. After it happened four or so times, I resorted to FAQ-ing it every time I played it, just to be sure.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

I always forget one or two keys and it just makes my life a living hell. Also the boot menu thing.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aus_azn

I had no problem in the Water Temple. As TC said, Great Bay Temple in MM was far harder (the whole game was harder in general). I did hear of that glitch, however, and I'm grateful that it never happened to me.

@the_hiro_abides said:

Which is more than I can say for Wind Waker. I haven't beat that yet.

I just lost interest in that game. It bored me to wit's end, which happened when I...
    SolidTexture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidTexture

I always thought the Water Temple difficulty was overblown. It's by no means easy, but it's far from unplayable and unbeatable.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Chummy8
    @Yanngc33 said:

In the original N64 version, yo had to dig deep into the menus to get the boots that let you sink to the bottom before going back into the same menu do unequip them and then re-equip them for puzzle solving.

Sorry, but that's a terrible reason. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Yanngc33

@TekZero said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Sorry, but that's a terrible reason.

You enjoy water levels?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

The water temple's fine, don't be a bitch.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Scooper

I agree. People go on about it too much. I found the temples in MM way harder.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phish09

It's crazy how just reading about the Water Temple makes me want to go back and play this game again...and that's arguably the worst part of the game.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've never had much trouble with this temple either.. but it can be easy to miss just one key, and because of the water level gimmick, it can be very difficult to find an area you haven't explored or to skip over one you think you've explored fully. 
    The trick is to simply go back to each room with each different water level.  There's definitely much harder dungeons in other games in the series.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmfinamore
    @YoungFrey said:
    I played it when I was 23 and it never bothered me in any way.  It was years later when I learned I had actually had a terrible time.  In contrast, I hated the mini-game to get Epona so much I never finished it.  I played the entire game with no horse.
    Is that even possible? What did you do in the part where you have to jump over the bridge in the canyon (towards the thieves area)?
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By YoungFrey
    @HarlequinRiot said:
    @YoungFrey said:
    Is that even possible? What did you do in the part where you have to jump over the bridge in the canyon (towards the thieves area)?

I do not remember any thieves.  Maybe you could skip them, or there was some other way to get there and I forgot them.  But I got to Gannondorf. 
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By N7

Water Temple killed my father! And raped my mother!

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akrid

Didn't mind it at all! One of my fondest memories from that game is the shadow Link fight.

SolracFB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolracFB

The new markings that lead the way to the switches are pretty useful. Back in the day you had to memorize the location of each one, not impossible, but annoying. Also I noticed that when you raise the level of the water inside the central tower, and a hole in the ground is revealed because a floating platform is raised, the camera focuses on the hole. I guess this wasn't in the original, was it? I thought it would be pretty easy to miss if the camera didn't point it out.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Agent47
    @lclay: Probably because most of us did it when we were young(I know I did) and we weren't exactly keen on puzzles at the time so it became frustrating and left a bad memory.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iDarktread

I got stuck there when I was little, and I didn't return to Ocarina of Time until years later.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By bibamatt

I don't think most people hate it because it was HARD (it wasn't that hard), but because it was the opposite of fun. Slow menus + having to put on/take off boots every five minutes = ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McGhee

Water Temple made me quit playing the original. Greatest game of all time my ass.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Cwaff

Mostly just the length of time it took to equip iron boots and unequip them again along with constantly changing water levels. Got a little repetitive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.