Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Anthem

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 15, 2019

A multiplayer-focused third-person action RPG from the studio behind Mass Effect and Dragon Age, featuring fully-customizable exo-suits (known as Javelins) with a wide variety of special abilities.

Tomb challenges?

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I’m baffled. I obviously had heard Jeff complains about how dumb those tomb challenges are but I didn’t expect it to be *this* bad.

I play solo, using matchmaking (I’d rather not but the game doesn’t seem to scale unlike Destiny or Diablo) and thus a lot of the challenges seems straight up impossible to me. The combo challenge seems to need at least minimal coordination, the biggest one for me though is the reviving challenge. I barely saw people go down while playing, and replaying missions over and over hoping other players go down.

I also had zero multi-kills in my five hours of playing, so this one seems like it might be hard.

I’m curious how other players felt about those challenges? Were they also an issue for you or you did them easily? It feels like completely atrocious design, but maybe some of you liked them? If you were a solo player like me, how did you manage to do them?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vortextk

I played very little solo, the challenges were like 70% done for me when I got there. I was doing some side missions and contract stories but not all of them up to that point. You can get revive challenges in missions where npc freelancers go down.

I don't remember what the combo challenge is you're talking about, is it literally just combo enemies or a certain number of them? Comboing with yourself is exceptionally easy with colossus and storm. I'm sure it's the same with the other 2 suits I just don't have as much experience with it.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: Granted I didn’t do many side missions.

I don’t remember having AI sentinels helping me? I might be misremembering or maybe it’s from side missions, I will do more of those.

Yes the combo thing is just regular combo, the game doesn’t make it clear how to make those and I didn’t realize you could do them only with your own character. I’ll look it up online.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@vortextk said:

I played very little solo, the challenges were like 70% done for me when I got there. I was doing some side missions and contract stories but not all of them up to that point. You can get revive challenges in missions where npc freelancers go down.

I don't remember what the combo challenge is you're talking about, is it literally just combo enemies or a certain number of them? Comboing with yourself is exceptionally easy with colossus and storm. I'm sure it's the same with the other 2 suits I just don't have as much experience with it.

Same here ... I had to open some chests and get some collectables, that was about it.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The only one I had problems with was the number of revives one, because the game is so damn easy literally no one dies unless you crank the difficulty way up.

The others are more difficult largely because the game does a shit job of explaining any of its systems to the player:

For the combo one, every class can combo with itself as long as you have one primer and one detonator equipped. Primers will have little circles next to their name while the detonators will have a little shuriken-shaped icon. Keep in mind you cannot apply the status effects, and thus the primer, to enemies that have shields up (which is bad game design because they can apply status effects when you have your shields up).

Also, in my experience the game is exceptionallyinconsistent broken about the visual effects for when an enemy is primed. I've been playing the storm and using a lot of ice abilities and there's easily a 50% chance than an enemy has been primed without it displaying either the primer icon or showing any kind of frosty graphical effect on an enemy. If you've used a primer ability, it's worth at least throwing out a detonator to see if it takes. The cooldowns are so short it won't set you back if it doesn't detonate anything.

As far as the multi-kill one goes, the standard is 8 enemies in 10 seconds, with the timer refreshing with each kill. However, what they don't tell you is that these enemies need to be killed with separate attacks. If you clump a bunch of enemies together and blow them up with a single ability use, that counts as one kill, not several. This is both (a) stupid, unintuitive design and (b) means you'll have an easier time with this one using guns or single-target abilities rather than large AOEs.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@fear_the_booboo

Some tips:

Combos:
    Combos can be activated by "priming" an enemy with one element and "detonating" it with another. In Anthem, elements include ice, electricity, fire, and acid--but explosive shots can also be used as a detonation trigger. The default Storm build comes equipped with an ice projective and a lighting area-of-effect attack. Used in conjunction, these two can cause combo explosions, often multiple at once. If you have access to a Storm, I'd recommend it. The other classes can prime and trigger combo detonations in solo play, but in some cases those combos are very, very dependent on your gear loadout.

Repair Javelins:
    Some of the World Events in Free Play have you protecting/reviving a party of NPC Sentinels. You can use these to complete your "Repair Javelin" challenge. There is also at least one story mission where you must revive a team member in a Javelin. You can't manually choose to replay story missions, unfortunately, but those missions are available at random in the Quick Play hopper.

--

For me, the challenges were a problem because of Anthem's technical instability. One of the challenges--complete World Events in Free Play--took several hours longer than necessary because the World Events have what seems to be a one-in-three chance of breaking outright. Some of them won't ping objectives, some won't register as having been completed. In one, the Sentinel Protection mission I mentioned earlier, the Sentinels just vanished. My immediate objective called for me to repair their Javelins, but they were just gone. So I had no other option but to fly away and do something else.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: that’s super helpful thank you (and also highlights how stupidly designed some of this is).

I had no idea for the multi-kills one and it explains a lot. I played as a storm mostly and I used AOE attacks all of the time, so when I saw that bar at zero it made it seems impossible to me.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they were dumb but thankfully I had to do very little for each, I was already 80% done, and I played mostly solo. My friend who also played mostly solo didn't have to do a single thing somehow, he just went right in each tomb. I found it surprising you play as the Storm and had zero multikills. I'm also the Storm and my multi kills were complete when I went to that tomb. I mostly had to find collectibles which was a pain in the ass for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@casepb said:

I thought they were dumb but thankfully I had to do very little for each, I was already 80% done, and I played mostly solo. My friend who also played mostly solo didn't have to do a single thing somehow, he just went right in each tomb. I found it surprising you play as the Storm and had zero multikills. I'm also the Storm and my multi kills were complete when I went to that tomb. I mostly had to find collectibles which was a pain in the ass for me.

Do you have any great tips for collectibles? I'm on that trial and mostly relying on the rewards from World Events. But, again, those seem to bug out so frequently that it ends up being a gamble every time.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's actually probably a good thing that it takes most people awhile so they avoid what happened to me. I did a lot of Freeplay at first to get a handle on the game and some of the abilities and weapons. I completed one of the Tomb Challenges without knowing it, found a Tomb without knowing what it was and because I was like Level 5, my reward was . . .

. . .

. . .

Two common items. Hooray?

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: As someone said earlier, it seems that area of effect attacks count as just one kill. As a storm I’m mostly hovering and spamming those, which is probably why I didn’t get any of the multi-kills challenges.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I think I this is the bit my buddy and I are stuck at. We seem to have everything completed in the list aside from the world events, but we have no idea how to find said world events. Are they on the map? The compass? Do you just stumble into them? I’m confused as hell.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctortran: yeah just go in free play and roam around for a while, when you see an objective marker randomly pop-up it means there’s an event. You just stumble into them.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been playing in a squad of at least two, sometimes three. The only box I had left to check was Ultimate kills. My friend plays Storm so he would freeze a group in place, and I'd use my Colossus Ultimate to kill the whole group.

@therealturk Ability AOE kills don't count towards multi-kills? Holy moly, that seems so obviously wrong that surely it's a bug, right? Wow. Also, I opened the Tombs after getting the mission to do so, and still got crap loot.

@doctortran I've seen a World Events map that pinpoints the locations where they spawn. I can't remember where, Reddit most likely.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 80% of my challenges were organically done by the time I got to the tombs part. Combos are pretty easy to do by yourself. If you're mainly a Storm I'd recommend ice storm and burning orb, that's the best combo overall, not great against shields though. There was a bug where only the person who opens a chest would get credit for the chest, but Bioware fixed that a week ago. Other than that, I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about this tiny part of the game.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: I mean you kinda answered yourself, you had 80% organically done when you got there. I’d say I personally had about 40%, it’s also obvious from reading the replies that some of the challenges are not properly explained (and not in a fun, mysterious Dark Souls way). It varies greatly from player to player how easy they’ll be too.

For you it felt like an anecdotal task, for me it’s literally the game stopping me telling me I need to grind meaningless task for three hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do the side missions, do world events, itll be over in no time. Ome of the side missions even seems to have more plot than anything up until that point

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played about two hours, knowing how the multi-kills and the combo work make those much more easy. Everything seems doable now except the reviving one, I'm still completely stuck on that. I've been wandering around hoping to get the events with sentinels you can revive, but in one hour that never happened. Googling for where or when that events spawn yield basically no useful results. I understand if I were playing with a friend this would be easy, but yeah, this sucks. I'm having an OK time with the game otherwise, it's not great but I'm liking it enough, those challenges have been super frustrating though, even if they're easy it's just a big grind to do.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Replay the stronghold on hard, wait for people to die.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@fear_the_booboo @bane Thanks for the heads up duders!

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's actually probably a good thing that it takes most people awhile so they avoid what happened to me. I did a lot of Freeplay at first to get a handle on the game and some of the abilities and weapons. I completed one of the Tomb Challenges without knowing it, found a Tomb without knowing what it was and because I was like Level 5, my reward was . . .

. . .

. . .

Two common items. Hooray?

the gear rarity is tied to level, so pre level 10 you will never get a green item, same with other colors.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By icoangel

@vortextk: yep that is what I did also, other wise no one ever dies, sure I was way under level and my teammates had to carry me because my damage output was so low but it was the best way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.