Have you been offended by the content of a game?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Have you been offended by the content of a game? (496 votes)

Yes 20%
No 80%

Inspired by this thread.

And I mean offended by something that occurs in the game itself, rather than something surrounding the game (such as being offended by the developer's audacity to charge $60...)

• 
Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Not that I can immediately think of regarding content within a game. There's been plenty of stuff I didn't care for, but never really offended. To be fair though, I'm a caucasian male, so I'm not exactly getting ostracized that much by popular media.

Regarding that thread about the South Park game, I can list off a few things I really didn't like, but didn't actually offend me. I'll put them in spoiler though, as I feel slightly uncomfortable listing them out in plain sight.

Mr. Hanky as a concept and the sewer stage made me actually feel slightly nauseous.

Mr. Slave forcibly shoving an enemy character up his ass as a boss summon was very disturbing to me.

I didn't very much care for seeing a grown man have a dildo/probe shoved in and out his ass.

I'll also say I've always disliked gratuitous violence with no sense of humor to it, if that makes sense. Basically I'd much prefer Bulletstorm to God of war simply because of the disposition it projects.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nope, not yet. At least not that I can remember. I have been offended by the quality of a game though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Literally never.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#4  Edited By Dimsey

I'm really not the sort of person to be offended by anything.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nope, never have and I never will, I don't think I have ever been offended by anything, my best friend thinks i'm kinda twisted for laughing my ass off at things others find offensive but she also finds it hilarious that I find certain things so funny and she starts laughing at me laughing.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One of Drakengard's endings left me kinda disturbed for like a week, but I've never felt insulted by a video game before. I thought the ending was still kinda awesome in a weird way, though.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The part in Kane and Lynch 2 where you are stripped naked and have cuts all over you, for whatever reason I could hardly watch the screen.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By falserelic

Nope, though I remember how some people made a big deal about RE5 killing Africans. Some people thought I should feel offended by the game because I'm an African-American, but I could care less. All I wanted was to see what I saw in this trailer.

Loading Video...

Except in the end it didn't really turnout like I wanted.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nope. I can't think of anything, especially when it comes to video games, that ever truly offended me. I don't know if I'm just desensitized or if I made some subconscious choice not get offended or what, but I can't even think of anything that could offend me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

No, however there are cases like with South Park where I just kind of shake my head at how try hard its being at offending people. Actually I take all this back. I have been offended. I'm offended at how horrible Borderlands 2 and tiny Tina are.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I really dislike the Cat-silencer in Postal. I'm not a fan of animal cruelty in any form.

I get a little offended when it feels like a game is making negative assumptions about the playerbase's intelligence. Though I learned to just not play those games/accept that there is someone out there who wants it. It'sonly negative from my perspective anyways...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No, however there are cases like with South Park where I just kind of shake my head at how try hard its being at offending people. Actually I take all this back. I have been offended. I'm offended at how horrible Borderlands 2 and tiny Tina are.

Hey, HEY HEY HEY. Tiny Tina may be an affront to all that is decent, but Borderlands 2 is a good, competently made game. You may not like it, but it is a quality product.

As to the actual thread itself, I don't think any games that I've played have offended me, but I know that from some of the things I've seen in this South Park game, I don't want to play that South Park game. It's not even being offended so much as it is feeling uncomfortable at that stuff, and the idea that someone would find that stuff funny. I realize the joke is that it's going so over the top, but it still makes me a little uneasy.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I've got real problems.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Games, like books,cinema and any media really can be offensive.

I believe most people overreact regarding videogames but I don't think it should be ignored either.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Definitely. South Park is censored in my country by no one else's but Ubisoft's will (nothing ever gets censored here). I was offended that they think they can make me pay for a game and not put a warning on the box that it's an incomplete or censored version. When I saw the censorship my jaw literally dropped. There is nothing I hate more than censorship. No matter how small of a detail, I want the product as it was intended. In this case it was even stuff that I found pretty funny that was cut out. Multiple times.

Otherwise, never been offended before. I get a bit weirded out by people who are offended to be honest. If you don't like something, that's fine. And of course, you can speak out about it. But I remember when Dead Island did that zombie torso thing and people were canceling their pre-orders to not support a developer 'with such poor taste'. I thought it went a little far.

That said, I have been uncomfortable with stuff before. Like the torture scene in GTAV. It made me uncomfortable and I didn't want to do it really, but offended is way too strong a word to describe it.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's a chance that I think a game/film/book/whatever will offend me, that's normally reason enough for me to stay away. I'm really not a fan of "edgy" content in any medium, but that predisposition means I never watch things like South Park in the first place.

And I think "feel uncomfortable" might be a better way to put it than "feel offended". I don't exactly feel like it's a personal affront if I watch really "offensive" comedy, but I don't like it all the same.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say I'm enormously thick skinned, but I can't be offended by entertainment. It just won't happen.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I was offended by how godawful Jedi Power Battles was. But as far as non-quality issues go, nope.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Valkyria Chronicles, I guess? Fairy tales and the Holocaust don't mix particularly well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I have disliked things, and in movies I have seen things that made me uncomfortable many times. But nothing in a game yet.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not offended, but shocked. Like the Snake Eater torture scene.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I have never been offended by anything in my life. I'm super open minded and nothing bothers me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

Sometimes when there's gratuitous violence and gore in a game, it makes me a little annoyed that they put it in there, because I feel like they're telling me "YEAH BRO, THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED RIGHT?" and it's not. I don't know if you could say that it "offends" me, I just don't understand who would enjoy it, and I feel like they're assuming I'm that kind of person because I like video games.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Some people thought I should feel offended by the game because I'm an African-American, but I could care less.

Couldn't. Couldn't care less.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, can't think of anything that's particularly offended me. Slightly disturbed, maybe, but nothing that's ever made me feel like the topic referenced in the OP.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't be silly.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic said:

Some people thought I should feel offended by the game because I'm an African-American, but I could care less.

Couldn't. Couldn't care less.

Heh, I make that same mistake all the time.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Many, but I'll just point out of the first and most obvious ones.

No Caption Provided

Yeah, raping First Nations women is not exactly my idea of a good or acceptable time.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Offended? No. Even disturbed might be too strong a word, but there have been times where something was a bit off-putting and I felt like I needed to take a break for a moment and clear my thoughts a bit before continuing.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I've been offended once in my entire life, when a boss told me I was about as useful as a chocolate frying pan. He then tried to do the thing I was doing and failed, so it kinda backfired on him. Never been offended by any form of media.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Offended? No. Uneasy and slightly disturbed? Yes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

yes, but it wasn't some big "ugh never playing this game again" or whatever, it was just "ugh really?"

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@video_game_king: Yeah Valkyria Chronicle's cheery anime characters and the bloodiest war in history don't really mesh.

@cale: That guy sounds like a badass, what an amazing insult.

Gwynevere in Dark Souls, talking down to the audience in Bioshock Infinite, World 5 in Demon's Souls, the "let's wrap everything up nicely" in Xenosaga 3, Rogue Galaxy being extremely easy after the first 2 hours, and Delita not being the protagonist of Final Fantasy Tactics come to mind.

I actively dislike stupid design decisions in otherwise good games, more or less. If a game sucks I don't really care. If you're never offended by anything you have an extremely boring personality.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Now that I think about it way more people than 15% should be offended considering how the Mass Effect 3 ending kerfuffle happened.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I found the entirety of Metroid Other M incredibly offensive.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, raping First Nations women is not exactly my idea of a good or acceptable time.

I imagine raping any woman is going to be a bad time. Or anybody, for that matter. (Unless you're Swedish. Apparently, they enjoy this kind of thing.)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@video_game_king: Psh, rape is totally acceptable. I mean it's not anything to be offended by or anything. Let's be reasonable here.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@animasta: Disliking something is not the same as being offended.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, probably. Lots of things offend me. People on this forum offend me. But I don't allow either of those examples to victimize me.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

@devoureroftime said:

I imagine raping any woman is going to be a bad time. Or anybody, for that matter. (Unless you're Swedish. Apparently, they enjoy this kind of thing.)

I'm pretty sure I didn't need to state that directly, but sure. Raping anyone is not acceptable. Under any circumstance. Ever.

The only reason the First Nations aspect of it was mentioned was because A) that's what the game is about and B) because, having grown up surrounded by Aboriginal culture, I know first hand how much of a fucking huge problem it is. There are conflicting reports and studies, but some say that the child sexual assault rate for Aboriginal girls is 80%.

Eighty. Fucking. Percent.

So yeah, when I see the sort of shit like Custer's Revenge, even if it was made decades ago, I get a little offended. And disturbed. And pissed off.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Listen you pedantic fuckstick. Okay, I just really like saying that. No offense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Listen you pedantic fuckstick. Okay, I just really like saying that. No offense.

Alright I'm listening.

markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not offended from what i can remember, but feeling uncomfortable yes.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yeah, probably. Lots of things offend me. People on this forum offend me. But I don't allow either of those examples to victimize me.

Rin does not like where you're taking this.
Rin does not like where you're taking this.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been offended by game content but there have been some games that made me feel unconformable at times. For instance the torture part in GTA 5 kinda got to me a little bit.

_Dad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm never offended by content, even as a Christian. What offends me is when a broken game is sold as finished. I'm tired of these snake oil salesmen. SimCity, BF4, Ghosts... notice a trend here?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. That'd be silly to be offended by a piece of entertainment.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@cale said:

I think I've been offended once in my entire life, when a boss told me I was about as useful as a chocolate frying pan. He then tried to do the thing I was doing and failed, so it kinda backfired on him. Never been offended by any form of media.

Oh god, this is amazing. lmao

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hatking

Offended? Well, the internet has turned that word into something it really isn't. If you're offended by something, apparently that means you're ready to storm the gates and censor all of our media. In reality, being offended by something just means you are annoyed or find something off-putting, generally, for personal reasons. It happens. I'm not really a fan of murder, and that's fucking commonplace in video games, but I'll still happily buy the next Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto games. Being offended is fine, being shitty and irresponsible with the offensive material is what the problem is. But even then, that just makes for a bad game, not something I'm ready to 'storm the gates' over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers