Have you replaced your Beastcast void?

• 86 results
TheDrumkid92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Brad & Will Made a Tech Pod, Fire Escape, Besties, Minnmax. I started a new job recently and have had a lot more time to listen to podcasts, so definitely trying to fill the time void as much as possible. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

(Also not gaming related, I listen to MBMBAM, TAZ, and Off Book)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never really listened to Beastcast, not really my cup of tea. But may try to get into more podcasts in general like techpod or foreescape or more dan carlin besides blueprint for armageddon. Dont really have free idle time for it and I am not the type that can concentrate on a podcast or anything else really while working.

Cat51152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beastcast was my favourite podcast, and nothing could replace it. I'm glad to see others here fell the same about Fire Escape, I really like everyone on there, but the whole lack of structure is really not for me. It also feels like they are really pushing to be funny all the time, but i prefer the more casual atmosphere like with the Beastcast. I've been listening to GameJunk, which i absolutely love, who are all ex-game developers - so gives a different perspective!

For my Giantbomb fix, I also really like Brad and Will Make a Tech Pod!

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old Giant Bomb casts mostly.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By cornbredx

I started watching Bobby Lee's podcasts (TigerBelly and Bad Friends). They're hilarious among other things (he takes honesty in podcasting to another level).

Hairyreddog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to say this but the current lineup at GB is just not that interesting to me. I like all of them individually just fine but their back and forth with each other isn’t as funny or compelling to watch. I hope they get this sorted out.

HighlanderRi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By HighlanderRi

Been going through Friends at the Table (Austin Walker's RPG podcast where they play through a variety of systems and custom worlds Austin has made) and also have dived into Boston's Favorite Son (a crude comedy podcast made by James Stephanie Sterling and friends)

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Best of Car Talk is really about as close as you can get to Vinny's energy.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

The Beastcast is always what I listened to on Fridays during work, where I have to drive around 2 and a half to three hours. It would fill most of that time. Now I usually put on an episode any number of other podcasts I listen to that I missed throughout the week, or hope that one is uploaded in time for the drive.

I really don't listen to a ton of other gaming podcasts. I listen to a few metal-oriented ones so those will have limited appeal if you're not into metal or the music industry. The Ex-Man with Doc Coyle and The Jasta Show are my mains there.

More recently, I've checked out Behind the Bastards which seems amazing based of the few episodes I've listened to. Fire Escape has been fantastic so far too and will last me most of a week because of how fucking long it is. I've added MinnMaxx to my subs but haven't actually listened to it yet.

My other favorites are Conan's podcast, Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum, Life is Short with Justin Long, Smartless, and The Movies That Made Me, as well as a few others with less regularity. I used to listen to Doug Loves Movies all the time but lost interest when he started doing them from home. Hopefully that will change this year,

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By hermes

I am starting to listen to Fire Escape for that kind of content, although they are longer and get released biweekly. However, they have some of the problems modern Giantbomb has, that they seem like too similar personalities, and have few instances of one of them going out of their comfort zone. I don't care about Call of Duty or Rockstar news, I wouldn't have discovered games like Satisfactory, Yakuza and Spiritfarer if not for Vinny and Alex, and I think these teams suffer for it. Let's Fight a Boss is another biweekly video game podcast that I listen to and, at least, they have the advantage of being more adventurous and esoteric with their recommendations.

In terms of friday podcasts routine, I mostly listen to the Kermode and Mayo show, as well as some spanish podcasts, although I know nothing will fill that beastcast hole in my heart.

NoPantsNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've started to listen to "Games, Potatoes, and Spatulas". The new podcast hosted by Garnett Lee of 1up yours and weekend confirmed fame.
The Bombcast filled my 1up void when 1up imploded, so I thought it would be fitting fill my Beastcast void with the new Garnett Lee podcast. He has just the best radio voice. :-)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, but it's absence has made it much easier to keep up with my other podcasts. I fell behind on the Beastcast a lot as it was, so the silver lining to the departures is that I have one fewer podcast I need to stay current on.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Picto_Obscure

I don't think I'll ever fill the Beastcast void; but that's okay; it was a great run by a great crew – I felt the same way when the Indoor Kids pod ended.

Might also be a good time to check out what Waypoint Plus has to offer.

unclematt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the Beastcast sadly gone, the title of Greatest Podcast in the Universe goes to "No such thing as a Fish". It´s a weekly podcast where 4 people come together and discuss 4 random interresting facts. For instance, last weeks topics were: Wrestling,Bells, Bowling strikes and farting trees.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By forkboy

I already have too many podcasts in my feed. The Beastcast is missed but its absence does mean I can listen to Radio War Nerd more regularly in its place. And I've built up a backlog of TrueAnon episodes, my favourite paranoid conspiracy/politics/comedy podcast

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Fire Escape and Brad & Will Made a Tech Pod

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I barely have time to listen to the Bombcast every week so I've been kind of glad to have less podcasts to listen to at the moment.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By tartyron  Online

It’s significantly more amateur, but the Hardcore Gaming 101 websites podcast “The Top 47,858 Games of All Time” is enjoyable, though they tend to skew a little negative on the games they discuss, a few of the regulars have poor quality mics that catch their breathing and their humor is hit or miss depending on who is on their rotating panel. They get some decent guests, Nina Freeman was on one a while back, I think for the Devotion episode, Slowbeef is a recurring panelist, Yahtzee did a few episodes, etc. They do two a week so it almost fills the beastcast hole time-wise, though noting will ever replace Vinny and I hope that whatever he does in the future, it involves a podcast, game related or otherwise.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't really replaced it. I miss the Beastcast, but I don't really crave what was covered on it in general now that the people behind it are gone. Plus there was a lot of duplication with the Bombcast toward the end, and that is still around, so I don't see the need.

Though I did start listening to the Video Game History Foundation podcast in recent months and had just caught up with the backlog as the Beastcast finished up, so now I listen to that each week.

I've been using the time I would spend listening to Beastcast/Hotspot listening to other podcasts that I fell behind on over the pandemic, mostly audiodramas or other not-time specific content.

@tartyron said:

It’s significantly more amateur, but the Hardcore Gaming 101 websites podcast “The Top 47,858 Games of All Time” is enjoyable, though they tend to skew a little negative on the games they discuss, a few of the regulars have poor quality mics that catch their breathing and their humor is hit or miss depending on who is on their rotating panel.

I fell off the Top 47k podcast a while ago for some reason, but it's also good. I think their game knowledge is very high and they have an exceptional ability to put games in the proper context of their release (eg. Speaking more highly of Myst than "Riven *dramatic pause* the Sequel to Myst" despite popular opinion to the contrary.)

It's also worth mentioning it's a similar premise to Ranking of Fighters, except for all games, (It also predates RoF by a few years, so it's possible GB stole the idea from HG101?) The current ranking is here.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to make a habit of filling it with A More Civilized Age and Fire Escape but I usually just watch vtubers instead. I'm considering buying into Waypoint+.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to only listen to podcasts on my commute to work. My list of podcasts dwindled down to just the Bombcast and the Beastcast by the end of 2019. Since my work became remote in 2020, I mostly stopped listening to full episodes. I would just put them on during some downtime but I would only get about half way through them. I probably won't look for a replacement any time soon but it looks like the Fire Escape cast might be worth checking out based on all these other posts.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mumumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Beastcast time is being filled with Fire Escape (like many others here) and NPR podcasts (On Our Watch, Invisibilia, Louder Than a Riot, etc). I'm still unsure there will ever be a real replacement for Beastcast for me, it's probably not possible for something to have that same mix anymore.

Doszero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoutout to the 8-4 folks! I've been on that train for a few years, but I say check out the episodes that get posted here bi-weekly if you haven't already.

ItsaCorey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started listening to Hardcore History, and while not related to gaming, it is an awesome podcast.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#76 sweep  Moderator

I feel like the Fire Escape is the natural successor, but everything I've heard about that podcast has turned me away since they first pitched it. At this point in time I feel like I'm fairly bored of the basic "let's just talk about what games we've been playing" podcast structure (unless there's some kind of new unique perspective, which The Fire Escape does not have), and without wanting to be mean I don't see any members of that cast as being strong enough to carry any discussion beyond that - don't get me wrong, I think they're all great people, but none of them are hosts and the lack of structure they bring as a result sounds genuinely terrible. I'm especially unenthused after hearing about the poor sound quality and production, with stories of people eating lunch in front of their microphones while recording, not filtering out background noises like alarms and fans, and minimal editing. I appreciate that the startup/garageband level of unprofessionalism is appealing to some but personally it sounds like a fucking nightmare, especially when you compare it to the Beastcast.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I am over-deluged with podcasts I listen to anyway, but nothing quite fits the void of the Beastcast - was definitely my preferred of the GB podcasts.

Having Jeff B on the Bombcast regularly is neat, and I am really enjoying Fire Escape cast because Dan, Mike and Mary just create a good, fun vibe - but I do miss my Vinny fix

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tech pod now and again. I tried Fire Escape but it just isn't for me nor is Waypoint. Now that MotoGP is in action I'll be listening to the Paddock Pass Podcast for after race talk.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsacorey: on of the few podcast I sit down, and give my full attention to.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Escape and Brad's tech podcast with Will. Those alongside the Bombcast fill my podcasting needs every week

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By SteveVice

I was lucky to discover the Rock Paper Shotgun podcasts just before this happened,
specifically The PC Gaming Weekspot and Electronic Wireless Show, both with amazing personalities and extremely funny.

Also the Triforce! Podcast by several members of the Yogscast (Lewis, Sips and Pyrion Flax) is maybe the funniest podcast there is.

as well as the Fire Escape

HibikiRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

I'm still not driving as much as I was pre-pandemic so don't really have the opportunity or desire to listen to audio podcasts. And wish more podcasts offered video. Would love to listen/watch TechPod or Fire Escape Cast regularly, although the lack of structure and immaturity turns me off a bit from what I have heard.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Cancel the void, the void was very much the people not the content. I need my vinny and Alex

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lately it's been XCast episodes I've missed.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finstern said:

I tried Fire Escape and it's ok so far. Big early bombcast vibes, but I feel they need a 4th... slightly more grounded person to level it out a bit

I have similar feelings about Fire Escape. Dan worked great on Bombcast and Beastcast where there were other people to counter his silliness, but that counter doesnt exist on Fire Escape. Mike is every bit as crazy, if not crazier, and Mary goes right along with them. It is still an entertaining podcast, but the sophomoric humor occasionally becomes a bit much for me. With that said, they are only a few episodes in so it may take awhile to find their groove.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

For anyone who's been wanting some Vinny content, he's done a couple of streams with Abby on her Twitch channel, and earlier today he on Waypoint's Twitch channel with Austin and Rob to talk over the Warhammer game announcements. That one was a lot of fun to watch.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By Ben_H

I haven't found anything yet. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Bombcast, I'd probably not be listening to any games-related podcasts anymore. In general I don't listen to a lot of podcasts these days.

To add to the previous post, Vinny mentioned on both Abby's and the Waypoint stream he's likely to do a bit of Twitch streaming next week (this is his channel). He said he would be posting any news about it on his Twitter, so if you want some post GB/Beastcast Vinny content, keep an eye on Twitter.